Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my IDPA match today. Wish I'd thought to bring my digital camera, the stages were OUTSTANDING especially in the props and disappearing targets arena.

As some of you know, I bought an H&K USP full size 45 a few months ago. I'd done a good amount of research before the purchase and the single most common comment was If I had to choose a gun to go to war with...straight from the factory box it would be the USP....

Well, I decided I would put that statement to the test. I decided to fire it as is from the box with only the factory lube provided. I further decided I would not CLEAN the pistol until I encountered my first malfunction from grunge buildup or other causes.

Well over 2,000 rounds later ..... that's TWO THOUSAND folks ... I have not had the first bobble, not the first hiccup .... nothing but solid performance. Plus, this has got to be the softest kicking and most accurate "straight-from-the-box" 45 I have ever fired.

I think I'm going to clean it, even so. I open the slide and peer inside and it makes me sick to see the grunge and filth. I feel like I'm being disrespectful to the gun. Especially one that has become my favorite carry gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to hear your happy with it. But I dont know if I'd try to get my carry gun to fail, it just might do so when you really need it.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't put it to the test....how will you know it's capabilities

triggerjunky said:
Glad to hear your happy with it. But I dont know if I'd try to get my carry gun to fail, it just might do so when you really need it.
Wanted to see how far she'd go until malfunction. Heck, my 1911 usually can't through a single match without an application of some sort of lube. Most manufacterers recommend a reapplication of lube every 100-200 rounds fired. Except Glock, which just loves to shoot dry and dirty. Now I know the H&K is the same way....and maybe .....better.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Great result Jim - I have to wait a while yet before our IDPA starts up again.

I'll be throwing lead with the 228 this season and keep 226 just for carry.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Ex.....I have a set of Night sights for that Full size USP...........I bought em new...........about 4 months ago...........and I can't use em on my USP Compact..cuz they're for the full size USP..........just in case you're lookin for em..

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
They work for a long time too. i have had mine since '93 with no parts breaking. I don't know how you can stand to have a dirty gun, but the USP's really do run great.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tritiums? Already got 'em

CLASS3NH said:
Ex.....I have a set of Night sights for that Full size USP...........I bought em new...........about 4 months ago...........and I can't use em on my USP Compact..cuz they're for the full size USP..........just in case you're lookin for em..
Mine came ummmm "loaded" LOL Had tritiums already. I also have just ordered the propietary H&K gunlight the UTL (Universal Tactical Light) Thanks, though....

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Great test and great info...BUT...don't sell that weapon to anyone that you are friends with. If the mentioned weapon has been fired "well over 2K rds." with only the factory lube(which is usually no lube,just perservitive,usually a derivative of the old Cosmoline)the weapon should be very well worn. Of course,"as is from the box" also means complete with metal shavings throughout also. Are you saying that this weapon(in this condition)is your daily CC weapon ?? Good Luck (?) ----------

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, but no worries mate!

RSSZ said:
Great test and great info...BUT...don't sell that weapon to anyone that you are friends with. If the mentioned weapon has been fired "well over 2K rds." with only the factory lube(which is usually no lube,just perservitive,usually a derivative of the old Cosmoline)the weapon should be very well worn. Of course,"as is from the box" also means complete with metal shavings throughout also. Are you saying that this weapon(in this condition)is your daily CC weapon ?? Good Luck (?) ----------

The weapon came with a light coat of oil just to the degree I myself would apply were I going to follow the normal course of initial possession. I would not hesitate to sell this gun to one of my friends as I would be supremely confident it would protect that person's life as well as it would protect me and mine. My friends in the club know what I did and they were all even more confident in the weapon's capabilities. Many of them have one or more of these guns and many many of them being leo's have used them in the line of duty.
Thanks for the advice but I'm not worried....at all.

It's getting MUCH warmer here in south Florida, so today I carried my Sig P245 all day as it is easier to conceal. I'll probably clean the H&K tonight before bed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like a confidence booster to me.

Post some pics before you clean it!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Now there's a thought Jim - once slide off etc - coupla pics of the crud, so we can see it for ourselves!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've never had a problem with my USP45 -it's the easiest loading hi-cap mag in .45 I've ever had the pleasure of using as well.

The recoil isn't the lightest I've felt, but my S&W 4506 is also far, far heavier - as is the Sig 1911.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Been carrying mine 24/7 for 5 years now. Abuse the heck out of it, shoot 500-1k don't clean it for a week, just open it up once a while wipe it down and give it a kiss of syn oil. No rust or aparent wear. 10+ k rounds to date, just lint from my carry method. Added a rail adaptor for my M6X. Stored in my PU when at work, temp can be any where from -10 to 115 when I am in the AZ desert, no malfuctions to date, this is one tough gun.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Ex.......:wave: ....I had a lady come into the store yesterday..........about 5'3" tall.......and about 50ish...........she bought a brand new USP in 45....:biggrin2:
I did the paperwork,,,:yup: and she told me all about how this is the gun she's wanted (the USP full size 45) and how it shot so well in her hands when she test fired one while during CCW Class and how she couldn't wait to get her own, and start to carry it.:yup: ....I told her I carried a USP Compact 40 cal...:biggrin2: .....Blew me away with all she said, BUT she laughed and proceeded to ricite the HK slogan to me.. "In a World of Compromise... Some don't"........ I have a lotta respect for her.:yup: .and her choice of weapon. she knew exactly what she wanted, and did her homework before she came in..:yup: .I know she was a very happy camper with her purchase:biggrin2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts