Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Police say that no charges will be filed against the store owner who chased and shot an armed robbery suspect.

According to investigators, the suspect turned and raised his hand while being chased by the owner, and the owner feared the man had either a knife or a gun, so he opened fire.

We spoke with another 5th Street store owner, who supports what his neighbor did.

"The young man from there told him, 'Please stop, stop,' three times in a row, and the guy turns around and says, 'I will shoot you first'.
There is video of the foot chase and the crowd descending to pick up the cash that the robber threw as he ran. We do not see the actual shooting as it took place out of the camera's view. fyi, my computer is acting up, so I was not able to listen to the video of the report. You can watch it all yourself by going to http://6abc.com/news/store-owner-shoots-would-be-robber-bystander-in-north-philly/1819538/

Original posting:
A north Philadelphia laundromat owner responded to an armed robbery attempt by pulling out his own gun, chasing the robber out of the store and up the street, eventually opening fire on the robber hitting him twice in the chest, and also hitting a woman bystander twice in the hand. "The suspect is critical, and the bystander is stable. The owner is being questioned by police, but it's not clear if charges will be filed."

http://6abc.com/news/store-owner-shoots-would-be-robber-bystander-in-north-philly/1819538/

I would like to know more details. The report of the store owner chasing the robber down the street before firing is concerning, and the fact that the shots then hit the robber in the chest is perplexing. As far as the bystander being hit, well let's hope the store owner has good insurance.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Robber must have been running backwards. :confused:

If this report is correct, the owner will likely be meeting new friends, in government funded housing. :22a:

Reactions: Gabill and paulinsf

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
What the owner did was definitely wrong. There is no justification for it. But I have to say I understand it. Living in one of these cesspit city areas like North Philly has got to be frustrating. A part of it is known as the "Philly Badlands" because open air drug dealing is rampant and the cops don't deal with it. I'll bet this guy has been hit before.

My family was in the laundromat business in my pre-teen years and it's cash business with high overhead and low margins. That guy losing $2,000, especially if it happens more than once, could break his business. Insurance is expensive in areas like that.

What appalls me is the people on the street stealing the money. They look like a bunch of hyenas. Where I live, people would have collected the money and given it back to the guy.

I'll paraphrase a popular saying, "Live somewhere where people play bad games and you will win bad prizes."

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
If I was the bystander I would demand that the store owner NOT be charged. I want him working at his store 24/7 so he can pay my $5MM personal injury judgement. Just sayin...:wave:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Hmmmm, going to be an interesting one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts