Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My first experience with the carbines (M1 and M2) was in Vietnam. When US forces first went to Vietnam (1950's) and when the first US combat units were deployed (1960's) the carbines were standard US issue weapons. Prior to that time the US provided thousands of carbines to Ho Chi Minh's forces resisting Japanese occupation during WW2. After that time the US provided thousands more to South Vietnamese forces.

The carbines are a very handy and reliable weapon. Not nearly as accurate as other rifles (M1, M14, M16) of the period, but certainly useful to 150 yards or so and much more effective than a handgun.

Shortly after leaving the Army and joining the police department I acquired a M1 Carbine to carry in my patrol car. Later, as a detective I kept the carbine handy also. Went over to a state agency where I worked as an investigator covering nearly half the State of Colorado, and I kept a carbine in my trunk all the time.

Now I am retired. The carbine still goes along on road trips. Between road trips it is kept handy at home as a defensive weapon. My carbine is a 1943 Inland (General Motors) piece, kept with a Korea-vintage Seymour 30-round magazine ready to go and two 15-round Inland mags in a stock pouch.

About 40 years ago I purchased a case of Norma 110-grain JHP ammo, which I am still using for defensive purposes. Used to be able to order GI-surplus ammo through Civilian Marksmanship Program, but haven't seen that for quite some time. I have been reloading .30 Carbine for many years using a hard cast 115-grain RN-FP mold (actual weight as cast with my alloy is 109 grains). My 77-year old carbine will still shoot 4-6" groups at 100 yards with just about any ammo I have tried.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks for the video. Like many others, I have discovered, or perhaps better said, rediscovered the fun of the M1 Carbine. May I make a suggestion? Go back about 3 yards or so, and try point shooting from the hip only, rapid fire. On a B27 I can put ten out of ten rounds in the ten ring. Again, never raising the rifle past hip level and point shooting only. Useful? I don't knw. But a lot of fun? You got to try it.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I bought mine in 1998 at a gun show from a man who builds these rifles from genuine original surplus parts. He suggested that before I finalize the sale I should take it over to an armorer who was at the show to verify the authenticity of the parts. I did this and the armorer gave his stamp of approval, saying every part of the gun was original. He asked me what the seller as asking for the rifle and when I told him, he replied that I better buy it because if I didn't someone else was sure to take this one home. It has the bayonet lug and is one of my pieces I will never let go.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,791 Posts
When I was in Viet Nam in 1965, I manned the M-2 (Ma Deuce) 50 BMG on an LCM-8 landing craft. My backup was an M2 select fire .30 carbine. It was replaced with an M-14 around the beginning of 1966.

Many years ago, I bought a select grade M1 Carbine for $80 and a case of surplus ammo for nostalgia. I discovered the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine and bought one to go with the M1. The revolver has an extremely loud crack when shot. Wear good hearing protection. After shooting them a lot, they ended up in the back of the safe for awhile and then I sold them.

Several years later, I bought another pair and a case of surplus ammo. I shot them a lot and then they ended up in the back of the safe for awhile and got sold. The price of an M1 Carbine in great shape today is getting up there.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
I bought mine in 1998 at a gun show from a man who builds these rifles from genuine original surplus parts. He suggested that before I finalize the sale I should take it over to an armorer who was at the show to verify the authenticity of the parts. I did this and the armorer gave his stamp of approval, saying every part of the gun was original. He asked me what the seller as asking for the rifle and when I told him, he replied that I better buy it because if I didn't someone else was sure to take this one home. It has the bayonet lug and is one of my pieces I will never let go.
The armorer didn't happen to be the seller's brother by any chance did he? 😁

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I love the carbine. I have a Winchester and two Inlands. All shoot very well. Just got a case of the Korean ammo that sgammo is selling. Will see how well it performs.

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
37,105 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Here's a little carbine that's still as good as it was back during WWII.

Howard

Had one years ago. Wish I had it now. Bought it in Hawaii, when I was stationed at Pearl. Thinking of getting another.

Reactions: hrfunk

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I love the carbine. I have a Winchester and two Inlands. All shoot very well. Just got a case of the Korean ammo that sgammo is selling. Will see how well it performs.
Funny you say this. I just order a case of the same ammo from SG. Should be here tomorrow. Comes to about 36 cents per round or $18 for a box of 50. Right now, that's great pricing. Includes strippers, ammo can, and bando.

Reactions: hrfunk
1 - 12 of 12 Posts