Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go to a post-office to do a change of address for my mother-in-law the other week & forgot that I had a pistola in my briefcase in the car. There is still no way to have it in the parking lot legally, right?
Was very happy to leave & get out of there.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Not legally, no.

As a side note. i was in the PO Friday. There was a guy in fornt of me in dockers and polo shirt with a baby Glock on his hip in a pancake holster at 4:00 o'clock. I never saw the front of him so I am assuming he was a plainsclothes LEO with a badge but I never saw it.

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
Not legally, no.

As a side note. i was in the PO Friday. There was a guy in fornt of me in dockers and polo shirt with a baby Glock on his hip in a pancake holster at 4:00 o'clock. I never saw the front of him so I am assuming he was a plainsclothes LEO with a badge but I never saw it.
That guy may have been on the edge. The USPS regs say no carry of guns on USPS property "except for official purposes." To me that would mean a LEO who was actually there for an LE purpose.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Luckily, my tiny hometown PO is immediately next door (step over a shallow ditch, +40 ft.) to Dollar General Store. When I'm in a legal CC bind, I just park there & then walk onto federal property. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
A lot of USPS functions can be done at their website. Change of address, hold mail, print postage, etc. You could go a long time without having to enter the physical place.
www.usps.com

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I have Two Post Offices that I go to on occasion. They are both in small shopping plazas. I just park away from the P.O. by another store.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Post Office I go to is next to a grocery store so I park there, leave my pistol in the glove box, and walk the short distance to the PO. This is the only time I leave my pistol unattended in the car. I hate to, but I am not taking any chances of getting caught carrying on federal property. One time I was mailing a fish finder console in a case that resembles a pistol case and I had the attention of all three postal employees at the counter. I was asked if I would please open the case even after I explained what was in it. I obliged and opened the case. I would have hated to be printing and unaware if I would have been carrying at the same time. It could have gotten ugly.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I had to go to a post-office to do a change of address for my mother-in-law the other week & forgot that I had a pistola in my briefcase in the car. There is still no way to have it in the parking lot legally, right?
Was very happy to leave & get out of there.
Thanks.
Well that depends on a few things. Is the post office a distinct business entity (i.e., a stand alone building with its own parking lot)? Is it in a strip mall with a shared parking lot and sidewalk? Is it in another business, such as a drug or hardware store?

If the answer is yes to the first question, then you cannot have a firearm on that premises. If the answer is yes to the second question, you can have a firearm in your car and on your person provided you do not enter the post office. If the answer is yes to the third question, not only can you have a firearm in your car but you can also enter the business while armed.

Obviously the carrying of a firearm in the above examples assumes your state issues a permit to carry or honors constitutional carry and that the business in question three allows carry in their establishment.

INAL.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have Two Post Offices that I go to on occasion. They are both in small shopping plazas. I just park away from the P.O. by another store.
If the PO is in a shopping plaza you can park right in front of the PO if you want, you just can't take you gun inside, anywhere else is fine.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If the PO is in a shopping plaza you can park right in front of the PO if you want, you just can't take you gun inside, anywhere else is fine.
Correct. In such a case, the parking lot, as well as the sidewalk, are for general use. My local post office has the same configuration. A very small strip of private businesses with a shared parking lot and sidewalk. I can use the collection box since it is on the sidewalk but I cannot enter the post office itself when armed.

Around three years ago, I pulled into my local PO to mail a few things using their outside collection box. I was openly armed (at that time, I OC'd pretty much 100% of the time) when doing this and an unmarked police car pulled into a slot close to me while I was dropping my items into the collection box. The officer saw me and I'm quite certain my sidearm but that was as far as anything went. I went about my business and he never said boo to me. Nor did he keep his eye on me, either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I brought that up on our weekly Safety Talk. I work for the Postal Service for 29 years. After the Orlando shooting, by the way I delivered a package to that guy's father house with his name on it the day of the shooting. Another story. Anyways they kept bringing up the subject of what to do if that was to happen in the workplace. 5 times the subject was brought up. 3 by the supervisors, 1 by local Police and the last one by the Postal Inspectors.
So I asked the question about us exercising our 2nd Amendment. Wow! That didn't go very well. Matter if fact it turned really ugly. If you know me you be surprised that I even talked. I just stand in the back usually just wait for the meeting to be over. What really tick me off is that he said the BURDEN was theirs. I said I'm sorry if our safety and welfare is such a BURDEN. After that they called off the meeting and I had to speak to the Postal Inspectors. They asked if I was carrying or own a gun. I told them no and if they want to search me they can. I gave them my truck keys and gave them permission to search. They didn't but told me that it will never happen and not to bring the subject up again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
What about contract Post Offices?
They are not federal property, nor on they on federal property.
I've carried into the one near me.
in virginia at least there is specific language no guns in post office. check your laws

·
Registered
472 Posts
It is upsetting that law abiding people licensed to carry can, due to a simple mistake or lapse in following the regs or misinterpretation of law that relate to carrying a firearm, become felons. Remember this is a right that is not to be infringed. But because it is unconstitutionally infringed we are made to be criminals by small errors in complex regs. Every time I go out I have to look at were I am going to see it I am being infringed in my daily activity.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The sign on our post office is on the door so as far as I'm concerned it means that I can't carry inside the post office. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see anything that says I can't carry outside. We have concealed carry so nobody should be able to see when we are carrying anyway in Illinois.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
I brought that up on our weekly Safety Talk. I work for the Postal Service for 29 years. After the Orlando shooting, by the way I delivered a package to that guy's father house with his name on it the day of the shooting. Another story. Anyways they kept bringing up the subject of what to do if that was to happen in the workplace. 5 times the subject was brought up. 3 by the supervisors, 1 by local Police and the last one by the Postal Inspectors.
So I asked the question about us exercising our 2nd Amendment. Wow! That didn't go very well. Matter if fact it turned really ugly. If you know me you be surprised that I even talked. I just stand in the back usually just wait for the meeting to be over. What really tick me off is that he said the BURDEN was theirs. I said I'm sorry if our safety and welfare is such a BURDEN. After that they called off the meeting and I had to speak to the Postal Inspectors. They asked if I was carrying or own a gun. I told them no and if they want to search me they can. I gave them my truck keys and gave them permission to search. They didn't but told me that it will never happen and not to bring the subject up again.
So you work for a semi-governmental agency but you're subjected to a gag order when it comes to the Bill of Rights? Those Inspectors must be a real fun bunch to be around... have to wonder if they're armed inside USPS facilities. I'm particularly annoyed that they asked you if you owned a gun... as if that would brand you somehow in their eyes. Shaking my head here... my condolences.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Clarence Paul Dorosan, USPS employee, was found guilty of possessing a firearm on postal premises in 2008...Mr. Dorosan was fined $25 that was payable within 30 days. Also, he was fired for the offense.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-laed-2_08-cr-00042/pdf/USCOURTS-laed-2_08-cr-00042-1.pdf

I retired from USPS in April of this year after 36yrs and several times over my career, employees were found to possess a firearm and I have never known of one to be fired or charged with the offense. It has been standard procedure in these cases to have the employee, immediately, take the gun home and return to work. About 5yrs ago, a carrier in a neighboring town, actually, pulled a gun on a postal customer...carrier was not fired nor charged with the offense. This decision is typically left to the station manager as to consequences for the violation...if the boss is ok with guns, you are probably good...if not...look for another job. But, best to leave it at home, if you are an employee or in the car, if a customer.

Guns, as it applied to customers or employees , was never discussed much at all during my career and window clerks certainly were never looking at customers with a suspicious eye...generally, they do not have time to scan the crowd for guns and wouldn't know what to look for if they had the time. In other words, generally not concerned with them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I believe that given some of the violent acts from the more distant past, it's understandable why they might be a bit sensitive about people packing into the post office... Best thing is to not do it....

1 - 20 of 63 Posts