Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a USA production Walther PPK/S by happenstance a few weeks ago. There she was in the LGS. Pricey but she came home with me.

The slides are manufactured in Germany from my understanding. The inside of the slide has an engraved serial number that differs from the frame. This model is stainless in caliber 380. Two 7 round magazines were included with a presentation case. Nice setup.

There are changes from the S&W disaster models but visually you would be hard pressed to tell them apart save for the markings. The extended beaver tail is still there. The red sight is present but the sight post, groves, and dots are much smaller. Surprisingly this sight setup worked quite well for my old eyes. The smaller dot though blurry was easy to pickup in low light and focus on. Combined with the natural accuracy of the blowback design the results were very good.

The recoil spring is heavier than it's predecessor. Spent casings easily flew 15 - 20 feet on ejection. The downside is additional strength required to manipulate the slide. Combined with shallow slide serrations on a small frame and some folks might struggle.

Another change is stiffer magazine springs. Loading the last couple of rounds is a thumb busting affair. Magazine loader highly recommended.

Two negatives were noted during the range session. The safety/decocker is stiff and rough. Much more so than should be. Hopefully this part will wear in over time. The other negative is the frame and beavertail edges where hand contact occurs. They are sharp enough to cut. The edges feel smooth to touch and no burs were felt tracing the edge with fingers. But this area of the finishing process clearly needs work. Note this is not the infamous Walther slide bite but something altogether different.

The trigger pull in DA is long, loose, and heavy. SA is long but breaks nicely. Too nicely in fact. Several instances of double shots occurred during the range session caused by the light SA pull and recoil impulse. These happened so quickly as to be unobservable and only noted by round counting. One other pistol has done this in 50 years of shooting. Something to be aware of.

Pleased overall and a nice piece of history to enjoy on the range.

Reliability was 100 percent. No failures to feed or extract with ball ammo. Forgot to grab a box of Federal HST but I suspect these would have been flawless as well.

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First 14 shots at 5 yards. Wasn't sure I would be able to work with those sights initially. Quite pleased. Groups got better and I moved back to 7 yards and smaller targets not shown.

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As requested...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Ive looked at a couple of these and am intrigued by them. They are a bit pricey and somewhat hard to find but I must say I've had real good luck with the ones made in Fort Smith AR. I really like these 22LR variant. I have one in the black and in the Nickel too. If the .380 is anything like these .22's I'd be pleased to have one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I don’t know much about the different versions .

I have a Interarms Walther PPK/S. How is it different from the modern day one from S&W ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
S&W no longer makes them. Walther and Smith parted ways.

Walther is running its own show through Fort Smith Arkansas. And putting out a very nice product. Many say better than S&W ever did.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
S&W no longer makes them. Walther and Smith parted ways.

Walther is running its own show through Fort Smith Arkansas. And putting out a very nice product. Many say better than S&W ever did.
Heck, its better than the Interarms era PPK/S models. They were notorious as jam-o-matics back in the day. Glad the OP has a good example that is running well for him.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have one of the last .32 stainless PPK (not the S) guns made by S&W. It has been flawless. The main feature I don't like with the new ones is the cheapo fixed rear sight- looks chintzy compared to all previous production.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts