Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find info on when it is appropriate to use deadly force to protect yourself in Vermont. I was reading a thread where an NRA instructor in Florida said you better be getting beaten by 10 guys before you draw your weapon, which is ridiculous. Anyone who can own a handgun can carry it concealed here without a permit and I was wondering what the laws were exactly for justifiable deadly force here in Vermont. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I did a quick search on Google and couldn't find anything, don't have the time at the moment to thoroughly search.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here you go Adkjoe,

The Vermont Statutes Online

§ 2305. Justifiable homicide

If a person kills or wounds another under any of the circumstances enumerated below, he or she shall be guiltless:

(1) In the just and necessary defense of his or her own life or the life of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, sister, master, mistress, servant, guardian or ward; or

(2) In the suppression of a person attempting to commit murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, burglary or robbery, with force or violence; or

(3) In the case of a civil officer; or a military officer or private soldier when lawfully called out to suppress riot or rebellion, or to prevent or suppress invasion, or to assist in serving legal process, in suppressing opposition against him or her in the just and necessary discharge of his or her duty. (Amended 1983, No. 23, § 2.)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Keep in mind this is the letter of the law the more common reality is
you do not have to retreat and Vermont wants to see the use of the minimum necessary force (dont keep shooting after threat has ceased)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks craiger That's exactly what I was looking for. I moved here a year ago from Montana and I was wondering what the law was. So in other words if your life or someone else's is in danger it's justifiable to stop the threat with necessary force. If someone is trying to rob or beat you than you can defend yourself with deadly force

·
Registered
277 Posts
If someone is trying to rob or beat you than you can defend yourself with deadly force
That one I would be very careful with.
Vermont courts have often said you have to of be in fear for your life.
even though the Statute § 2305 law does not say that.

Vermont has vague gun laws for alot of reasons but some prosecutors use that in their favor just as we use it to ours.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does this mean

Vermont is not a Castle Doctrine state and has no stand-your-ground law.

·
Registered
277 Posts
what does this mean

Vermont is not a Castle Doctrine state and has no stand-your-ground law.
It means Vermont has very few gun laws, pro or con they leave it up to the courts to decide.
But in short this is why you need to be careful with your statement "If someone is trying to rob"
Vermont puts a high value on life and not so much on property.

No stand-your-ground law
It also has no law against standing your ground that I have ever found.

Vermont is a stand your ground state by case law.
define:case law

•common law: a system of jurisprudence based on judicial precedents rather than statutory laws; "common law originated in the unwritten laws of ...
•(civil law) a law established by following earlier judicial decisions

But again you better check to be sure, things change here ever 100 years or so:image035:

·
Registered
82 Posts
To the vermont members. Are there any ranges in Burlington or with in that area? I have been to Alderun in Franklin but looking for something closer to Burlington.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts