Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the, I think excelent advise, I am stuck facing a delema. In the neighborhoods in the Kansas City Mo urban core where I work, I can see the value ,maybe even the day I may need more rounds/force than my edc handgun. We can not, however, keep a loaded and easily accessable rifle/shotgun in our vehicles.

I am therefore considdering a rifle caliber pistol (223/556), the Kel Tec PLR16 in particular. I love the Sig556 but 'wow' that price! Does anyone have first, or reliable second hand experience with this Kel Tec? I am sure an adveserial LEO may feel compelled to confiscate such an aggressive looking weapon if found while issuing a ticket, but even a showoff prosecutor would be forced concede it is in fact a concealed pistol regardless of the caliber or accessories in the ensueing legal proceedures.

Any thoughts or alternatives I have missed? What other large capacity mid/longer range pistols are availablein this type of personl weapon?

I greatly value you guys' input. Best regards, Lyndon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Seriously, what for?

Give us a scenario where you would use or need such a firearm for self defense (as a civilian) in an urban setting. Why does it need to be so easily accessible? Do you plan on firing it without having to get out of the vehicle? That doesn't make much sense. I'd say if you can stash it under the seat or in the trunk that's more than sufficient. You have an EDC that will get you to it if necessary.

If you need more capacity carry a "standard" pistol with extra mags. And if you need more power than a 10mm or .357SIG, why not carry a .44Mag or S&W500 revolver for those "special" situations? Or why not just get a short barrel AR15 in the 14-16" range? It's a far superior firearm and there must be a way you can store it in the vehicle in a reasonably accessible manner.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have an AR-15 and other than the occasional range shooting or plinking I do, I use it for varmint hunting. I don't ever foresee a time that I would need my AR for self defense unless the U.S. is invaded and it came down to me. SD ranges are normally bad breath distances and for that I want a handgun or shotgun. If I were looking for a pistol in a rifle caliber, I would look toward the Thompson Contender. Far more accurate firearm. Obviously, only my opinion.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Carry more ammo for your pistol.

I don't believe in the "car gun" idea. Too easily stolen.

If you insist on keeping a long gun in the car, can't it be "unloaded" and be legal? In the scenario you describe, you should have time to load it if needed.

Remember though - your vehicle is a better weapon than any firearm you can possess as a civilian...:wink: Don't get out of a 4000 lb vehicle to sling 55 gr bullets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may very well have an overactive imagination. One such thought: the riots that would likely erupt in the low income minority community should the President be assasinated. I remember the vidos from the Rodney King trial aftermath think of the extrapolation. This is a condition for which I and my associates have prepped. I have watched 9 drive by shootings. I have started out on my stomach watching 30+/- rounds being fired into the house accross the street then moving to coverdurring one of those. That particular house has been shot up half a dozen times. I own the one accross the street, and the one two doors down. I have had 5 tenants shot. I have had 5-6 houses shot up for no apparent reason. I know two fellow landlords who were shot and killed. I tend to think from just what I have seen with my own two eyes that if I were the object of that kind of retaliation a spare mag might run you short. 30 rounds of 223/556 seems appealing. I do like the X frame S&W 460, and have it on my wish list. It is still a single handle gun and limited on capacity but a good possibility. The problem with an 'AR' is you can not carry a loaded, accessable rifle/shotgun in your vehicle. The likelyhood any of us will ever draw and fire on another is extreemly rare, but don't we train and discuss and encourage one another on sights like this for that one-in-a-million situation? I have avoided bullets over there for 22 years. I think I will be OK for several more but... I belive though there is wisdom in the old adage cited above. I am trying to approximate the rifle while staying legal for everyday life.

Thanks rattleing my thoughts and keeping me honest, Best, Lyndon

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lyndon
I live in the Kansas City area and sometimes travel to or through some bad areas of KC but sheesh man where are you at? I go to Wyandotte from down town to clear out West, Northeast KC at Paseo and Independence Avenue and points east of there, have friends who live at 8th and main and in riverque, I have never seen that much violence. I am not doubting you just wondering where all that happens so I can stay away. Seriously please let me know and I'll NEVER go there. If I may need to load up an AR just to go there.....um never mind.:aargh4:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Lyndon ...

Dude, you need to move! You live in a war zone. Get out of there before they drop napalm on you.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Olathe. I have friends and family there. Know what I would do? Forget the rifle.....carry your pistol, and find a good source for hand grenades.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
One of the big advantages of a rifle is that it is much easier to shoot than a pistol, largely because you have four, separated points of contact (buttstock, cheekweld, handgrip, forend). A rifle caliber pistol gives up this advantage. I think you would be much better off with a real rifle, even if that meant you had to keep it unloaded and in the trunk for legal reasons.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Funny how the posts changed from why whould you need a rifle to OMG, you are where.
+1 :hand10:

I absolutely understanding the OP's reasons.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Search CrimeReports.com

My brother and his family goes to church at the location shown in Kansas City. The crime numbers are only for the last 14 days near the church. Only the crimes that made it through the system are posted on the website. Who knows what really happened in this neighborhood.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
keep an AR15 in a locked combination case where you only have to flip the last number once to open it with loaded mags in a seperate bag,that should meet legal carry requirements until SHTF,at that point fight your way to trunk,retrieve gun and lock and load,downside to this is the trunk area of car offers almost 0 protection from incoming bullets,so you may be better off snatching the gun and ammo out and getting behind better cover before loading the weapon

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a PLR-16. Great gun for the money and
lots of firepower in a small lightweight package.
They are as loud as a cannon when fired so you
will need some ear protection close by if using for SD.
Mine does not like the cheaper ammo such as Wolf but
has never malfunctioned with the quality stuff.
If you get one make sure you get a muzzle brake
and definitely get the handguards for it.
Switch up the ammo using JSP and FMJ and maybe get a
Beta drum too. Check out some AK pistols as well. They are
very reliable and 7.62 round has more penetration capabilities
but AK is heavier than the PLR.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Lived in KC, grew up in KC, worked EMS in all inner city areas in KC for many years.

Don't live there now, but frequent there as all my family is still there.

I'm not for keeping my Rifle (AR-15 or FN FAL) or Shotgun in trunk of car or SUV in case the whole vehicle is stolen.

I carry a high capacity G-23 as a primary weapon and a high capacity XD9sc as a BUG.

Or I carry Ruger LCP as a BUG with either the Glock or XD as primary.

Carry two reloads for primary and at least one but usually two reloads for BUG.

Usually that's forty .40 cal rounds in Glock and anywhere from twenty seven to forty three 9mm rounds for the XD. (XD has 10 round mag in gun and reloads are 16 rounds each) All guns are carried with a round in the pipe.

So, I feel that max carry of 83 rounds is more than enough for any situation including a riot. And that's even if I have to hoof it outta the area on foot!

Now believe it or not, all that is easily concealable and how I distribute my gear it is not uncomfortable.

I don't like carrying guns in ankle holsters, but I don't mind carrying reloads for my BUG in an ankle holster along with cash and ID.

I also have a Benchmade folder although I don't ever plan on using it as a weapon, it could be used in that function if necessary. I also carry a key chain size can of Fox OC spray and a 120 lumen flashlight/impact tool.

So, if for some reason you feel a little under gunned, you may consider carrying a back up pistol on your person instead of a rifle in your car where theft is a very real and distinct possibility.

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Also consider a Glock with an extended mag
maybe even a Cobray pistol. If they didnt cost
so much I would say a FN 5.7 pistol with 10 round
mag extension for a total capacity of 30+1
still think a AK pistol or PLR is the way to go
and forget people telling you to keep a rifle
unloaded in a case in the trunk. Who has time for
that in the real world? Look into getting some concealable
body armor just in case. Bulletproofme.com

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've never put much credence in the cliche "Use your pistol to fight to your rifle".

Never presume you're going to get the chance or have the time to go get another gun.

Carry a large caliber handgun with enough extra ammo to allow you to prevail against multiple aggressors.

Get professional training at a top facility like Front Sight, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch etc.---and practice, practice, practice.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
Carry extra mags...problem solved!:image035:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts