Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
First, I'm not sure there will be an "after the surge." I don't think the last year is like any previous surge. Gun control and maybe more "crises" are coming. People will hang on to what they've got and buy more if they can. I don't think we will get back to the "old normal."

Second, I think the newbies who bought guns had to have a few light bulbs come on to jump into gun ownership.
  • When there is the threat of increased violent crime, it is good to have a gun around.
  • Guns are not dangerous if they are handled and stored properly. They don't have to feel paranoid having one in their house.
  • Gun owners are not all dangerous nuts.
  • In an emergency, guns can be hard to get.
  • The last year showed that major emergencies/shortages can happen at any time. The next one might be worse.
These are not great revelations to long term gun owners, but to the newbies, they are major changes in thinking. This does not mean they are going change their liberal stripes, but it does mean they had to make a mindshift on the issue of guns to some degree. I think they will hold what they bought.

I think you may see traditional gun owners doing a lot of trades if the surge subsides. A lot of people had to buy stuff that was not first choice because of availability. They may try to rectify that.

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
It depends on a few things.
One thing I have been thinking of is a lot of folks just bought whatever they could find. Not necessarily what would work best for them.
If they find out what they bought just will not work for defense, like a hunting rifle or a trap and skeet shotgun there may be some trading in going on.

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
I think gun control efforts will continue, but it has pretty much petered out as political capital for liberals. The inability of the democrats to move their own members on this issue is a good sign of this.
Yeah, just like every other cycle, when the political power changes hands, people will get relaxed and start to sell, and trade.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i think there are a lot of guns bought by first timers that are put in the sock drawer or the closet and will remain there for years if not decades.....along with the original box of ammo purchased with it..

i do not see a mass dump/sale of "used" firearms on the market from 1st timers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i think there are a lot of guns bought by first timers that are put in the sock drawer or the closet and will remain there for years if not decades.....along with the original box of ammo purchased with it..

I agree. Talked to a co-worker just yesterday who bought two .38spc revolvers (not sure what kind) for him and his wife so they can take a CCW class this Saturday. They had taken them out to a farm last weekend to shoot and they didn't like them. He didn't know they works"kick"as much and she didn't like the noise.

"I probably should have done my homework before I bought them," he told me.

I have no idea where he found ammo, but he said he didn't realize it would be so expensive.

____
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts

Very accurate observation.

·
Registered
41,382 Posts

I agree. A few will make their ways back onto the market, but a mass unloading of evil, unwanted weapons of war is unlikely.

·
Registered
777 Posts

They probably would've shot the original box of ammo, soon after buying the gun, but they will have perhaps their second box of ammo in the drawer.

When you buy a new gun the first thing you want to do is shoot it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMO crime is and will continue to climb and we will have less police
The general public will be buying MORE firearms
Last month ( March ) background checks broke the record again , now as in the past the more tyrannical the federal government gets the more gun sales .
I think people will hold on to their weapons until they run out of money and they have to sell them

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
@Rock and Glock can tell you what the store looked like when he last visited in to get his Ruger LCR from me. We HAD about 10 huge cases filled with Used handguns, BUT as of now, we can barely fill one of them with the used stuff we have. Used rifles and shotguns are about non existent too. New stuff comes in but it goes out quick.
Lower end rifles Savage Ruger and similar... for example (and I got this from the Top people at the store) won't be fully available until 2022 and beyond.... Best to get what you can NOW..... If you see what you were looking for.... BUY it....
USED guns won't be coming in any time soon. Yes, some people are TRADING stuff, but it's not much.......More trading to the "Latest and Greatest" items. Lotsa newbies that don't even know what ammo goes to their guns... it's TERRIFYING to see this.....

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
With the large increase of new guns sold, will there be an increase in barely used firearms within the next few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. Societal woes and their churnings by MSM, combined with they're gonna take our guns fears will keep things brisk in the gun ownership department.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
There may be a few instances of folks trading what they bought because it was only what they could get, but by and large those guns will likely stay in the possession of those who purchased them. The reasons for those purchases remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
During last year's riots and pandemic panic, many people experienced a taste of scarcity - either in goods (toilet paper, among other things, of course) or safety (government's abdication of enforcing laws and, in some cases, simply standing aside to witness the mob run amok). I expect that we will see additional rioting this summer, as the woke priesthood and their media acolytes will continue to manufacture enemies and press identity politics. The gun buying surge will not end soon, and the longer it goes on, the more permanent the memories will become.

People are not now purchasing guns as novelty items. They are purchasing guns now because of the fear of unrest that is being fanned by 24/7 news cycles. People will hold on to these purchases for a long, long time.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
My little small town LGS has a few guns like the Hellcat, P365, etc. and they are not flying off the shelves. He also has 9mm,40 and 45 ammo and while expensive its not flying out the door either.
I have 2 guns on consignment in a nearby larger town and in 2 weeks they have had no bites despite very reasonable prices and both include 3 boxes of ammo.
At least here we are fairly saturated and sales seem to be slowing.
As big cities deteriorate into high crime killing fields people will move out into the burbs and then rural areas to escape it.
I see much worse before I see any sunshine on the horizon.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Kind of depends on how the legislative/government issues pan out. If it counter balances in '22 & '24 away from the radical ideas now being pushed, yes there will be a lot of good bargains. If not, well who really knows? But I'd bet there won't be any bargains around.

·
Super Moderator
24,649 Posts
@Rock and Glock can tell you what the store looked like when he last visited in to get his Ruger LCR from me. We HAD about 10 huge cases filled with Used handguns, BUT as of now, we can barely fill one of them with the used stuff we have. Used rifles and shotguns are about non existent too. New stuff comes in but it goes out quick.
Lower end rifles Savage Ruger and similar... for example (and I got this from the Top people at the store) won't be fully available until 2022 and beyond.... Best to get what you can NOW..... If you see what you were looking for.... BUY it....
USED guns won't be coming in any time soon. Yes, some people are TRADING stuff, but it's not much.......More trading to the "Latest and Greatest" items. Lotsa newbies that don't even know what ammo goes to their guns... it's TERRIFYING to see this.....
Bob speaks truth.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
As a few people have stated their might be a few people out there that grabbed whatever they could and now the gun they really want might be available so they might be looking to get rid of it. Not sure if that means there will be anything most people want but you never know.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts