Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I actually fired a round in public today. I was walking with my wife down the street about 3 hours ago and we passed a house with a rather LARGE rottwilier ( I think that how you spell it!) dog in the yard. It went nuts trying to get at us as we passed, hoping that the 3 foot high fence would keep him in the yard. About half way down the block, my wife turned around and started screaming and running in our original direction. I turned and saw what she saw, that big dog running for us at full speed. I had about 3 seconds to make the decision and execute it before that dog ripped my head off. It only took about 1.5 seconds. I hit the dog square in the head firing from the hip, that is how close this was.

I holstered my gun and started calming my wife down when a local LEO arrived with his lights on. He immediately ordered me to place my hands in the air and walk to his car where he disarmed me. Apparently, he was running traffic just down the road and actually witnessed the whole thing. As we were talking about it, the owner came and was obviously pissed. Long story short, the dog owner lost his pet, I was given my gun back and sent on my way, and the LEO filed a report.

So yeah, I actually fired a round in public to defend my wife and myself. It wasnt against a bad guy, but it was "justifiable shooting."

·
Registered
459 Posts
That is exactly why we should carry everywhere we go. You never know when you will have to defend yourself and or your family. Sorry for the loss of the dog but it's just a little stupid to put a dog as big as he was in a 3 foot fence.
That was a matter of time incident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow, I'm glad you and your wife are okay. I'm glad the LEO was there to see everything. I'm sure that's going to save you a lot of legal headache. As a dog lover, I hate to hear about an animal being killed but the owner should be more responsible.

I have a Shepherd that would probably do the same thing, but he is never in the yard without me or without being tied up on a steel tie-out cord if I'm in the house. You just can't take any chances.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can't say I would have done any different, although I don't like the idea of having to shoot a dog. The owner should have his butt kicked for keeping a dog like that in the first place.

Glad to hear you and the Mrs. are okay. Good job on staying alert and being prepared.

-Seawolf

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Wow, glad you 2 are safe and the LEO saw the whole thing, that there probably saved you a whole mess of aggravation. Too bad for the dog, you made the right decision, although I feel no sorrow for the irresponsible dog owner.

Thanks for posting.

Joker1

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm glad you and your wife are safe and unharmed. What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks was the owner doing leaving the dog out, unsupervised, with a poor containment, and from the sounds of it, unsocialized as well? Thank goodness it was YOU and not a small child, frail or elderly person, etc. Can you imagine?

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. This guy wins the prize.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Well, I actually fired a round in public today. I was walking with my wife down the street about 3 hours ago and we passed a house with a rather LARGE rottwilier ( I think that how you spell it!) dog in the yard. It went nuts trying to get at us as we passed, hoping that the 3 foot high fence would keep him in the yard. About half way down the block, my wife turned around and started screaming and running in our original direction. I turned and saw what she saw, that big dog running for us at full speed. I had about 3 seconds to make the decision and execute it before that dog ripped my head off. It only took about 1.5 seconds. I hit the dog square in the head firing from the hip, that is how close this was.

I holstered my gun and started calming my wife down when a local LEO arrived with his lights on. He immediately ordered me to place my hands in the air and walk to his car where he disarmed me. Apparently, he was running traffic just down the road and actually witnessed the whole thing. As we were talking about it, the owner came and was obviously pissed. Long story short, the dog owner lost his pet, I was given my gun back and sent on my way, and the LEO filed a report.

So yeah, I actually fired a round in public to defend my wife and myself. It wasnt against a bad guy, but it was "justifiable shooting."
The owner has nobody to blame but himself. You did what you had to do. I love rotties, grew up with them but the owner has the responsibility for the dog's behavior and actions. The dog paid the price. I'm really glad your both ok.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Wow!!! This is just the thing we prepare for and hope we'll never have to carry through. Glad you were armed and well trained with your weapon. No innocents were hurt and you and your wife went home tonight. Shame the dog owner was not more responsible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad you and your wife are ok, that's most important, A large dog can do lots of damage. I must say though, by the way you wrote the title of your post you come off as excited that you got to kill something. I'm sure you didn't mean to, just saying.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
This is perhaps the most pristine and justifiable shooting I’ve read, and the fact that a LEO was the key witness made it so.
Regards, :hand10:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
What you had to do today is one of my biggest fears while at home or in my neighborhood. I fear this more than BGs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Rottweiler ......I've shown and trained dogs for years and I totally agree with everything Bunny just said. It's sad that the dog had to suffer for such an ignorant owner. It's jerks like that particular owner that give breeds such as the Rottweiler a bad name. Thanks be to him for allowing his dog to be a statistic. Very glad you and the wife are ok, great job!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
glad yall are okay, and the owners must not have cared for the dog to much, if it had of bitten on of yall it would have more than likely been put down anyways, me and my wife have a vicious dog, or at least she thinks she is, but what can you expect from a chihuahua.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad you and your wife are ok.
Sorry the situation happened.
Wonder if the dog had any previous
issues. Surprised you dont have to go
to court or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I really feel bad about the dog. And feel no sorry for the owner. He didn't deserve to be an animal caretaker. Sad the dog had to pay for his ignorance.

So very glad your're all ok, and you reacted well.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Really glad you and your family are ok. I would have done the same thing. It's not just people we have to protect ourselves from.
I have to say, I too got the impression from the title and the last comment, that you sound "giddy" about shooting a gun in public. Not to say you're glad you had to shoot the dog. You just sound like you finally "joined the club" of shooting your gun in public.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
:congrats: :drillsergeant: Outstanding! Quick Reaction and Accurate Shots saved the day! A charging dog I would think is a relatively hard target to get a solid hit on from a startled position.

Do you practice shooting as soon as you clear leather or did that shot just come naturally?

It's a shame such a fine and hardy breed of dog had to be killed. But as Bunny pointed out, it appears the dog was not properly "socialized" to begin with, as well as the owner having an inadequate containment system. That equals a huge lack of responsibility on the part of the owner. And although that is true, it is of little consequence if the dog had actually mauled you or your wife, or some other unfortunate passerby.

My boss has Rottie's and while they are a huge handful... They are obedient and are huge protectors of his young twins when they are out in the yard playing. If you own a Rottie, it is a must that you accept the responsibility of owning that breed of dog.

Again, Great Job Avenger!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm glad you and the wife are okay. Like someone else posted, this is one of the reasons we carry.

I agree, this is a scenario that may be all to likely to come up, given all the irresponsible dog owners out there. As a dog lover, this makes me sick.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to say, I too got the impression from the title and the last comment, that you sound "giddy" about shooting a gun in public. Not to say you're glad you had to shoot the dog. You just sound like you finally "joined the club" of shooting your gun in public.
Sorry if I sounded "giddy" or something. No, I was and still am anxious to tell the story. I have used my gun in public before, never having fired a shot though. My heart is still pounding!

As far as pulling off a shot like that on a moving target: The dog was VERY close and rather large. But most importantly, most of you know that I shoot guns for a living. I am an instructor and I shoot my personal carry gun at least 15 to 20 mins a day. And yes, I do train to fire as soon as I clear leather. Its point shooting and I do consider myself very talented if I must toot my own horn.

I dont have to go to court as far as I know. The LEO took a report but warned me that the irate owner of the dog may file a civil suit against me.

I dont, didnt take any pleasure in killing anything. I take pleasure in the fact that I did the right thing and we are both okay. And now, maybe, just maybe my wife will understand a bit better why I carry.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah, I posted it like that to grab everyones attention. I wanted to tell everyone in a round-a-bout way that humans are not the only threat. Something I, myself kinda forgot until tonight.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts