Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used SA Compact .45 1911 for $600. Problem: the thumb safety, when engaged, is loose. As in, it will come right out. When it is disengaged, it is solid and won't come out. I'm no gunsmith. What is the problem? Great little gun at a great price. I'd like to know what's wrong before I take it to get looked at.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,489 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Problem: the thumb safety, when engaged, is loose. As in, it will come right out.
Are you pulling on it or does it fall out on it's own? If you're pulling on it and it comes out, no big deal, it is meant to do that, it's how you disassemble a 1911.

·
Super Moderator
18,489 Posts
I'm also wondering about your complaint. Does it just work its way out with no assistance from you or are you able to pull it out?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can flip it on it's side, with the safety engaged, and give it a slight...VERY SLIGHT tap...and out it comes. With the safety disengaged, it won't come out, even by pulling on it.

·
Super Moderator
17,056 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
I can flip it on it's side, with the safety engaged, and give it a slight...VERY SLIGHT tap...and out it comes. With the safety disengaged, it won't come out, even by pulling on it.
Yeah, that ain't right. I would take it to someone competent with the 1911, with the safety engaged there should be enough pressure with the thumb safety's lug fitted against the sear that even without the plunger spring the safety should be snugly held in place. This is how it looks with the thumb safety engaged. You need someone that can properly fit a thumb safety for you.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I just dropped it off at Guns Plus near Bragg. The smith said he'd give me a call later today or tomorrow and let me know what the deal is. I love Colt's and this is my first Springfield. Hope to get it up to snuff soon.

·
Super Moderator
18,489 Posts
OOOooo... a 1911 suffering from termites!

Reactions: gasmitty and OD*

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the record, this Springfield looks to have been driven hard and put away wet. The stainless finish is highly scratched up. The white dots are no longer white. They are only barely discernable from the "black" metal of the sights...which can only be called black in the academic sense. There is a small amount of pitting on the barrel. I know this model is no longer produced by Springfield. I have no idea exactly how old it is. When I get a moment (and remember) I'll call SA and feed them the serial number. Maybe I'll get an answer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have one made in 1993..Spend a little money and send it to the Springfield Custome shop.and you will have a great carry piece...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am considering that....assuming the problem with the thumb safety is something easily remedied. Although...I kinda like the way it looks now. I don't have to worry about scratching it! Tha's a big problem for me! LOL! If I get it looking too much like new, that won't be good!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Though the sights definitely need to get changed out...or maybe I'll try that nail polish thing I've read about a few times on this forum.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Just got it back today. Wilson hammer. Check. Wilson ambidexterous thumb safety. Check. That works for me, seeing as how my wife is a lefty. Shoots great! Thanks to Nick at Guns Plus.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Turned out nice. :hand10:

·
Administrator
143,669 Posts
that even without the plunger spring the safety should be snugly held in place.

Yep, you needed a new Thumb Safety. The fitting of the Thumb Safety is critical. If the slightest bit too much metal is taken off in fitting it - it needs to get scrapped and it's necessary to start over again with a spanky new one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts