Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As has been brought out by many using a mirror as a training aid is terrific. My wife has a full length mirror she uses for ballet and I took the advice of others and have going through many basic techniques with it,
1. I can see the awkwardness in my draw.
2. I can see the muzzle of the gun shake in dry firing.
3. I can see that I need to lose 15 more pounds.:hand5:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Using a mirror is a good training aid. I use it quite a bit. For summer CC it helps a lot, and just a few inches forward or back makes a lot of difference as far as printing. The mirror will also show where you are grabbing your cover garment out of the way to draw, or where you should be grabbing. Using the mirror also shows where you are aiming, and provides an active target other than aiming a pistol at a live target. You get to look into the muzzle and see the sights at the same time. The only thing a mirror should not help you with is re-holstering. If you cannot do this by either looking at the holster, or indexing without looking, just keep practicing.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
If I did that, I think I would be hauled away in a coat with very long arms tied behind my back.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took one look at the gun and scared myself. :gah:
But is is actually a heck of a training aid. Because I just had 7 years of good luck I don't want to hedge the bet and break the mirror so I'll be doubly careful.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey threefeathers: Re your thread and comment #3--lost any weight yet? Actually it is a good idea when you get to see what other people see--makes you realize that you are not that "olympian athlete" you thought you were. Seeing your thread, I realize that I have been doing something similar; always want to see what everyone else sees, particularly when it involves something as dangerous (for want of a better word) as carrying and presenting a firearm. You probably should also look at other simple things regarding your firearm like how you hold it when reloading a revolver or changing mags, fixing a "jam" on a semi, or even reholstering your weapon. Once you have a CCWP and the instructor is not there anymore to tell you right from wrong, the mirror is a good self-instruction tool.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I quit carrying because I scared myself too bad. :hand5:

Yes, I dropped 5 lbs and will do 10 more before I assist Mas in his first class in his new organization in May.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts