Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread I wrote:

[A nit I have with holsters] are the metal tabs on metal clips. Those cut though shirts, especially if during a drive a seat belt is pressing the shirt against the metal tab. I will either cut the tab down, sand it smooth and cover it in black duct tape, or swap out with plastic j-hooks. I don't like the j-hooks all that much, they add bulk, but they spare the shirts. The duct tape solution is not optimal, as I periodically need to replace the tape. What I would like to see are metal hooks with a shorter tab and the end covered in plastic.

Perhaps I could cut the metal tab and then cover it in the mixed epoxy glue that dries hard, or maybe even JB weld? Anyone have similar problems with the metal tabs?

Well, I had some J B weld, and decided to coat the tabs in J B weld to see what happens. The results are promising.

Here are the metal clips before treatment. You can see how far the tabs stick out. The length of the tabs facilitates easy removal and attaching to a belt. But the length also causes the tab to slice through cotton. I can cut the tabs down and cover in duct tape, but then the clips are harder to use, and I need to replace the duct tape every so often.

So I took some JB weld and coated the tabs. It's now dry and curing, and I think the JB Weld will be a permanent solution. They are standing upright, connected to a magnet to hold them vertical. I'll paint the gray epoxy black after it has fully cured. They are smooth to the touch just from the natural settling of the epoxy as it cured. I'm going on a six hour drive tomorrow, so we'll see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
Have you ever tried leather or soft belt loops? They are all I use, and eliminate the problems caused by metal clips.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever tried leather or soft belt loops? They are all I use, and eliminate the problems caused by metal clips.
Why on earth would I use a simple, proven solution when a more complicated one that requires experimentation and testing will do???

Seriously, this holster came with clips, but I could buy some loops, I suppose. I do find that the metal clips have a slightly lower profile to the belt, unlike loops and plastic j-hooks. And some holsters I have no choice - my N82 for my j frame is a no go on loops, as the clip is sewn into the elastic portion of the holster.

But really, I just like to tinker. I don't have a lot of vices, so I need to occupy my spare time with something.

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
But really, I just like to tinker. I don't have a lot of vices, so I need to occupy my spare time with something.
So become an internet provocateur.

Reactions: Bad Bob and Mjolnir

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Same here. I've had to modify every single holster I have. The least modified holster is my Sneaky Pete. Only added a Klein Tool patch on the flap.

Oops, one totally unmodified holster is my BugBite. Hardly ever use it and it is fine as is. Nice to have it on the few occasions I've used it, mainly when dressing up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You can buy all sorts of holster clips loops, hardware online. Amazon has plenty although quality and durability could be suspect with some.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can buy all sorts of holster clips loops, hardware online. Amazon has plenty although quality and durability could be suspect with some.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yep, I know. But if I can fix what comes stock with the holster for pennies, that's a win for me.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
JB Weld is magic stuff. I can’t count the number of things I have fixed with JB Weld. The gas tank on my Harley Davidson was leaking around the fill fitting and I stopped the leak with JB Weld. I’ve also attached pad eyes on boats with it, and rigged a mirror in my Roxor to name a few applications.

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
Same here. I've had to modify every single holster I have. The least modified holster is my Sneaky Pete. Only added a Klein Tool patch on the flap.

Oops, one totally unmodified holster is my BugBite. Hardly ever use it and it is fine as is. Nice to have it on the few occasions I've used it, mainly when dressing up.
Likewise. I just received a Dara for my double-stack M&P9s, and am redoing it now. Edges get rounded, belt loops get moved, some of the molding gets flattened, mag release cover gets removed, excess sweat shield gets removed, and comfort wedge gets added.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Never had to worry about it, none of the holsters I own have metal clips.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think you may find that the JB weld will crack and pop off in chunks over time. Particularly if your using your finger to flex the clip out over your pants/belt each time you put the holster on.

Hope I’m wrong, as I love JB weld and use it all the time.

Reactions: PEF

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you may find that the JB weld will crack and pop off in chunks over time. Particularly if your using your finger to flex the clip out over your pants/belt each time you put the holster on.

Hope I’m wrong, as I love JB weld and use it all the time.
We'll see. It's not under much stress, and the pressure I apply is mostly on the tab, and not on the edge. But thanks for noting, I will keep an eye out for this and update the thread if it happens.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
I've never had an issue with the tab on my Vedder cutting my shirt. Probably because the shirts don't last long enough with my constant bumping into things causing the gun itself to cut little holes in my shirts. Sounds like a good solution for the tab issue.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I used one set of Com-Tac clips for sooo long I will not even mention but I bought my first holster 17.5 years ago . This is what I use and my wife and daughters use on different brands of iwbs . Never broke one yet and nice and flexible , They use to make a under hood clips too but have not checked in years .

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Likewise. I just received a Dara for my double-stack M&P9s, and am redoing it now. Edges get rounded, belt loops get moved, some of the molding gets flattened, mag release cover gets removed, excess sweat shield gets removed, and comfort wedge gets added.
I've had to ADD sweat shields, to soften the edges of the pistol, an inch beyond the muzzle and past the slide and grip. Just thick enough leather to hold its shape. Jacket and vests get leather backers to mount a Kydex holster so that the muzzle and butt are about level, not the full vertical that makes it nearly impossible to draw before getting shot by even the slowest BG.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I've used a MTAC warn at a 3:00 to 3:15 possition for a few years and the earlier Comp-Tac mtac Neutral model for years before that . Totaling 18 years now , Good ole hybrid design thats held up well to wear as a carpenter , retired now . I think thats why my wife ordered the MTAC black leather back half stating my old tan colored rig looked ugly , and I still use it occasionally . Like anyone can see it when its on me and it does not stink after all those years clean and treat like a good saddle .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts