Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here I am in North Florida for Christmas with the in-laws. Temps in the 20's at night and wonderful (compared to Miami). On the way out of town yesterday, I stopped in the next county up from my home to pick up my new gun, the H&K USP 45 standard size. Three 12rd mags came with it. My wife got me (I'm not supposed to know) a "Concealable" model holster from Galco.

Well, first off, it was the wrong model. I specified the LEM and I got the variation ONE. Next thing I noticed was how B-I-G the durn thing is. About the size and heft of the Glock M21. That's unloaded. I put 12 230gr Golden Sabers into the mag and it felt like I was holding the Rock of Gibralter in my hand. I could only imagine the weight PLUS a spare loaded mag, all sitting on my hips. Next, the trigger pull is just a TAD bit longer than my finger can comfortably reach. OTOH, in my hands (both) in a firing grip, I can just sense it's accuracy. It feels really good in a Weaver stance.

My buddy who got it for me, said to carry it over the holidays (it was signed over to me by the transferring FFL) and if I wanted something else, we could just send it right back, and I wouldn't have to pay any shipping or handling fees.

So now I'm thinking about the USP compact, with the LEM trigger and night sights.

Anybody know about this gun in a 45? How does it compare in size to the full size? Can somebody post a pic of them side by side? More importantly, will the compact fit into a holster made for the bigger version? Otherwise, I guess we could exchange the holster for the other size.

I also understand that the compact does not have the recoil reduction system of the bigger version. What's the recoil of the compact in comparison to the larger version or say to a 45 of similar size? I'm not at all recoil sensitive, just wondering.

Does anybody know of the reliability of the compact? A lot of folks I know have said that if there were any gun "ready for WAR" right out of the box, it would be the USP. I was wondering if that also applied to the compact?

Since I'm not at home and sharing this computer, I'll have to just come back and check the thread, because I won't get the e-mail alerts.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
ill wait till i see the xd45 and get a feel of it before i can tell anyone to buy it .. Certainly not like a Hk and Hk's have good resale value

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Sorry I can't help with a side-by-sde comparison. I've gotten my hands on a full-size .40, and it wielded like a brick. The compact is "large" for a compact, but at least it's smaller than the full-size. :lol: I don't have too much trouble concealing my .45 compact.

I've found it to be the "softest" shooting .45 I've ever gotten my hands on, which is why I tote it instead of a 1911 (runs from Bruce). It's also no problem one-handed. So if my teeny little wrists and hands can handle it, I'm sure your man-hands will be just fine. :lol:

My USPC has been extremely reliable.

I found a size comparison here.

**added: I changed my link for a better size comparison.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
The compacts are not much smaller at all. I like the longer site radius of the full size. Also , if the DA trigger pull is too long, what will the LEM trigger pull be like? I have not handled a LEM version. I wore my HK USP .40 full size and a spare mag. all day today, and have for quite a while. If ya get a good holster it is very comfortable. I find my DA pull a bit long, so my first shot may go a bit left(LH Shooter) . As far as compact reliability , never saw a hiccup with my girlfriends Compact.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to Betty, I found an answer in this quote from the article link:

The full-size USP and the Compact are not just "chopped and channeled" versions of each other; they are different in proportion, shape and contour. First, the slide is longer, both in the barrel-length direction and in the slide behind the ejection port. The triggerguard is larger. The grip portion of the frame is larger and not as comfortable as the Compact to hold and shoot. The Compact is smaller in circumference, and I find it to be more comfortable to shoot despite its smaller size. Also, the magazines are not interchangeable. The Compact was shipped with steel magazines while the Standard had polymer magazines. Neither would fit in the other.

I was also impressed with Betty's pic of the draw sequence from concealed under a T-shirt to a speed rock position. Of course, hers is a 40 and the 45 will be a tad larger, but then I'm a "tad larger" (lol) than Betty! With a slightly smaller frame size, I should have no problem with the LEM trigger pull and my reach.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both

Euclidean said:
I dunno, his problem is that it's too big right? Or is it more the weight?
Too B-I-G and too heavy. Geeze, it feels like it should be towed on wheels!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bud White said:
its not tat heavy Ex lighter than a 1911
Perception is everything. Because the 1911 is SA, I can reach the trigger much easier and it's not double stacked (except for the PO). I find it difficult to believe that a double stack H&K is lighter than a single stack 1911 when both are loaded.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Ok Hk weighs 1.65#'s Empty
the 1911 loaded Springer 2.37 #'s Empty

so the 1911 weighs almost 3/4's of a pound more all ready

According to midway a box of speer self defense ammo weighs in at 1 pound

so add little over 1/2 pound to the HK your at

Around 2.45#'s

In 1911 ill go 1/2 # also

make it 3.17 #'s so Hk is still lighter even dropping a few round wont put ya in same weight range

Now as to trigger length of pull i understand what your saying a personal preferance

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ex, Since you're re-evaluating your situation, let me throw another thought at you. Now, I don't mean to start a war here, but have you really carefully considered a .40 cal? You can deliver 165gr to 180gr slugs at over 500 ft-lbs of energy from several ammo manufacturers. Those ballistics equal a .357 mag round, which has always been considered a premier defense round. I know the .45 supporters will defend their choice admirably, and I'm not denying the effectiveness of the .45 cal, but I feel the .40 can be just as effective and gives the advantage of larger capacity.
I'm 6' and 230 lbs, and can conceal both my USPf and my USPc, but the compact is very easy to carry and conceals excellently with a Galco NSAII400. I have an IWB for the full size from Ray's Holsters here in Largo. The compact will fit, but not as well as I'd like. It is slightly loose, so I don't mix the holsters.
Since you are in a slight quandry, why not at least handle a .40 compact and give it a real looking over. I'm satisfied the .40 cal will perform well for any defensive need. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I tried both the USPc and fullsize in 45 - the compact just didn't feel right for me but the fullsize was like they'd built it to my specs. A lot of folks complain about the size, but it's functionally no bigger than my Sigs.

My one complaint when firing is I can feel the magazine weight drop - loaded, the mag represents a sizable percentage of the platform's overall weight. It's disconcerting if I think about it. If I'm shooting it, I don't care.

It and the S&W 4506 are the only 45ACP handguns I've stayed in love with for any length of time.

I'd rather keep my Sigs, as I'm comfortable with them and know what I'm getting, but if I wanted a 45 for carry it'd probably be the USP unless Sig finally did a hi-cap 220.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ex,

I own my USPc in .40 and I've shot the range .40 USP. I definately perfer my USPc, but that could just be because of the amount of wear and tear on the range gun. I'm not sure.

--Jim

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got Glock

Guys, I own a Glock M27 in 40 and I love it. But I do want a 45. Went down to Gainesville today (Gator Country!) and went to a gunshop. Handled one of the new Sig 239 SAS guns with the new DAK action SWEEEEEEET! I like that gun, but it's still larger than my M27. I've got...lessee...enough 9 & 10 rd mags for that gun to launch over 70rds before I have to reload and just for grins I also got one of those aftermarket Schere 29rd hi-caps for those long trips in the country.

I just want a 45!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
What about waiting for that XD45 now to see if you like it ?? since you not happy with the Hk or a Glock 21

or how about the Kahr 45 that just come out but its isnt a Large cap gun

I was hoping they would make a HK P2000 in 45 but dont think its coming

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another change of mind! Sheeeeeesh .... I wore it on my hip today in the Galco "concealable" model my wife got me for Christmas and it felt just fine. I also have a Blade Tech due to be delivered in mid January. If I take the one I have with it's variation 1 trigger instead of the LEM I'll only have to pay $750 total. That just about leaves me enough money on hand to go ahead and pick up the Taurus M445 snubnose 44sp. True, it's been discontinued, but I'll bet that there is still a supply to be had.....and I've seen NIB samples on the gun broker sites for about $275. That would be a kewl little gun!

So, I've decided to keep the standard sized USP and get a gunlight and use it for a dedicated house gun and IDPA gun. I may even carry it on a semi regular basis. The Galco is very comfortable and it seems to conceal well.

Taking it to the range in two days with my nephew who is visiting his company HQ for some meetings. He's a senior sales exec for BACARDI USA. Yup, I get some GREAT Christmas and Birthday gifts! Bacardi has a couple of new flavors of Rum out that I simply must recommend if you're in the holiday mood: A new green apple and a raspberry and a coconut flavor. I especially like the green apple. Anyway, I'll try and take some pics at the range and post them here with a report.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Glad ya waited to try it in the holster i have varient 2 and like it only difference is my safety lever is on oppsite side .

How about a pic of the Gun and holster?

been wondering on a new holster for my Hk for sometime .. Course the list goes on and on and on

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bud White said:
How about a pic of the Gun and holster?
Sure, I'll post that on Thursday with the other pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts