1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Reactions: GWarden

·
Registered
45,381 Posts
Personally, Space Force is a forced embarrassment.

Reactions: SatCong and jmf552

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
I’m curious to know how they already have a chest full of ribbons….

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
It's like they wanted to design a uniform that would get the SF people ridiculed by other services more than they would have otherwise.

BTW, The US Army, Navy and Marines grew out of the Revolutionary War. The Air Force grew out of the country's experience in WWII and the Cold War. Remind me again of what war we've fought, or are likely to fight, in space, that requires a military force just for that.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
i thought the idea of a space force was a bit much, but somebody made general from it, so hey, let's run with it!

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Those are somewhere between dumb and stupid - if there is a difference. The design is silly and the sloppy fit is embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I’m curious to know how they already have a chest full of ribbons….
The same way Air Force types had them in 1947.

It's like they wanted to design a uniform that would get the SF people ridiculed by other services more than they would have otherwise.
I agree the design is bad.

BTW, The US Army, Navy and Marines grew out of the Revolutionary War.
So armies and navies didn’t exist prior to 1783? Fascinating. What did everybody use for militaries before then?

Assigning infantry to ships predates the Romans.

The Air Force grew out of the country's experience in WWII and the Cold War.
The Air Force grew out of new technology that was initially hampered by being chained to a ground war mentality.

Plsns to create the Air Force as a separate branch predate the end of WWII and thus predate the Cold War.

Remind me again of what war we've fought, or are likely to fight, in space, that requires a military force just for that.
Traditionally, every military is ready to fight it’s most recent war…. But not the next war.

For several decades the US military has consciously attempted to avoid the “last war” mentality.

The theory is: space is a different terrain than land, sea or air and eventually will require different capabilities than the Army, Navy or Air Force can bring to bear and chaining the development of space warfare capabilities to a command with different priorities will hamper the development of those abilities and the personnel to use them…

…which is exactly what happened in the past.

In 1919 the Navy attempted to entirely dissolve its naval aeronautics program. In 1920 Mitchel’s test attacks on battleships were rigged…. KNOWING aircraft would be effective (otherwise no need to rig the test) and that our enemies where developing that capability, the battleship navy still tried to hinder the development of naval aviation.

Similar problrms were faced by the army air corps, the army prioritizing tactical aviation over strategic capabilities.

The current military organizations use space to help them fight in their particular terrain, like an army using the sea to move troops or a navy using air power to control sea lanes, or an Air Force using GPS satellites to help aircraft navigate…. But nobody is planning how to use space the way a navy uses the sea or an army uses land Or an Air Force uses the air.

We don’t know what the first space war will look like. That’s the whole point. These people are supposed to figure that out.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So armies and navies did exist prior to 1783? Fascinating. What did everybody use for militaries before then?

The Air Force grew out of new technology that was initially hampered by being chained to a ground war mentality.

Traditionally, every military is ready to fight it’s most recent war…. But not the next war.

For several decades the US military has consciously attempted to avoid the “last war” mentality.

The theory is: space is a different terrain than land, sea or air and eventually will require different capabilities than the Army, Navy or Air Force can bring to bear and chaining the development of space warfare capabilities to a command with different priorities will hamper the development of those abilities and the personnel to use them.

We don’t know what the first space war will look like. That’s the whole point.
Spot on.

The standup of the USSF also relates to funding. The USAF was previously forced to allocate funding to space missions as much aligned to other services as the USAF, reducing funds available to core AF missions without similar offsets from the other branches to their core mission sets. Being a separate service without a murky funding pass-through process clears the monetary lanes a lot.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

So armies and navies didn’t exist prior to 1783? Fascinating. What did everybody use for militaries before then?

Plsns to create the Air Force as a separate branch predate the end of WWII and thus predate the Cold War.

The theory is: space is a different terrain than land, sea or air and eventually will require different capabilities than the Army, Navy or Air Force can bring to bear and chaining the development of space warfare capabilities to a command with different priorities will hamper the development of those abilities and the personnel to use them…

…which is exactly what happened in the past.

In 1919 the Navy attempted to entirely dissolve its naval aeronautics program. In 1920 Mitchel’s test attacks on battleships were rigged…. KNOWING aircraft would be effective (otherwise no need to rig the test) and that our enemies where developing that capability, the battleship navy still tried to hinder the development of naval aviation.

Similar problrms were faced by the army air corps, the army prioritizing tactical aviation over strategic capabilities.

The current military organizations use space to help them fight in their particular terrain, like an army using the sea to move troops or a navy using air power to control sea lanes, or an Air Force using GPS satellites to help aircraft navigate…. But nobody is planning how to use space the way a navy uses the sea or an army uses land Or an Air Force uses the air.

We don’t know what the first space war will look like. That’s the whole point. These people are supposed to figure that out.
Riddle me this: There are 90 space faring nations now. We are the only one to have a separate Space Force. So who is our Space Force going face off against?

It seems like we are in offensive mode instead of defensive. Are we planning on starting the first space war?

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,475 Posts
Meh - whatever

Reactions: OldVet

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts

BTW, The US Army, Navy and Marines grew out of the Revolutionary War. The Air Force grew out of the country's experience in WWII and the Cold War. Remind me again of what war we've fought, or are likely to fight, in space, that requires a military force just for that.
If I remember reading The Space Forces mission will also be protecting our satellites and monitoring other countries launches and hardware in orbit.
I know other agencies are doing it now, but I think they think it is time for a dedicated service as keeping and protecting our assets is getting more critical and complicated. This will free up the land based branches to concentrate on land based issues.
I think it is a branch that will grow into it's own in the future.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts