Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this case I made an exception!

I strolled on into my local gun shop and looked around for any good deals. I had the idea of getting a Mossberg 500 but sadly they had none in stock. Then something caught my eye. It appeared to be a Remington 870 12 gauge with an 18" cylinder bore barrel and rifle sights. I picked it up and looked it over and it really was a beautiful shotgun. It turned out to be a lightly used 870 Wingmaster Riot shotgun with a 20" barrel and rifle sights. It ended up following me home today! I paid 269.00 for it which I think wasn't too bad.

It only fires 2 3/4" shells but that is all I have in my ammo stash anyway so no big deal. This is the most beautiful looking shotgun I have and its going to stay the way it is. My 870 Express now has another 870 to keep it company! I really like the polished bolt on the 870 too.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
very nice. Mr. Oleg Volk has his own take on wood & steel:

·
Registered
866 Posts
An excellent purchase! I think I am staying with my Remmington's - might have to sell off the old Mossberg to get a 3" Magnum Marine.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Fair deal on a nice shottie...:yup::hand10:

·
8,501 Posts
Now that is what I call cool!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Looks like you got a good deal on a great shotgun... :yup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Cool! Money well spent!

·
Registered
473 Posts
:congrats:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
From personal experience I can tell you that's an excellent choice of shotgun.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Very nice gun...I am jealous. You did very well for yourself. As far as 2 3/4 it worked for a lot of years and I still trust them. Plus they give you more capacity than a 3".

·
Super Moderator
18,562 Posts
A solid choice and a good buy.

"It only fires 2 3/4" shells..." Don't fret at all. The 3-inch and 3 1/2-inch 12 gauge shells are overrated and unnecessary.

Funny you mention not being a fan of wood and steel. It almost has to be wood and steel before I'll allow it in the house.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I'm not worried about firing 3" and 3.5" shells, I have a Benelli Super Nova that can do that and a Remington 870 Express that fires 3"... this latest one isn't my first shotgun LOL!

I looked up the barrel markings to find out when it was made and if I am reading it right it was made in 1960, but then again the barrel could have been replaced. This gun's finish looks practically brand new and not much wear on it so I can't say for sure. Regardless it is something I am proud to own.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Nice shotgun at a fair price. Congrats!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks kinda familiar subnine, or should I say spyderdude? :wave:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
NOT a fan of wood and steel ???

Wow. You must be a youngster. Wood and steel is for real. Plastic is just plain and with absolutely no personality.

Some of the finest looking firearms, even combat type, are of wood and steel.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NOT a fan of wood and steel ???

Wow. You must be a youngster. Wood and steel is for real. Plastic is just plain and with absolutely no personality.

Some of the finest looking firearms, even combat type, are of wood and steel.
Yes I will be 25 years old in March so I am still somewhat young LOL!

I never grew up around guns like my Dad because my Mother did not want guns in the house when I was growing up. I didn't learn how to shoot really well until I got some lessons from my Dad at age 16 and took a CCW class when I was 22. I didn't take up firearms as a hobby until I was almost 21 so I am still a newbie. I learned a lot from reading the forums and gun rags as well as practicing at the range.

I guess the real reason I bought this shotgun is it reminded me of the shotgun on the popular PC game DOOM. It was black with wood furniture and was my favorite gun to use in that game, plus the price made it too good to pass up!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes I will be 25 years old in March so I am still somewhat young LOL!

I never grew up around guns like my Dad because my Mother did not want guns in the house when I was growing up. I didn't learn how to shoot really well until I got some lessons from my Dad at age 16 and took a CCW class when I was 22. I didn't take up firearms as a hobby until I was almost 21 so I am still a newbie. I learned a lot from reading the forums and gun rags as well as practicing at the range.

I guess the real reason I bought this shotgun is it reminded me of the shotgun on the popular PC game DOOM. It was black with wood furniture and was my favorite gun to use in that game, plus the price made it too good to pass up!
LOL. Well, a late bloomer isn't a bad thing. Just know that some of the finest craftsmanship went into wood and steel guns. The newer "fantastic plastic" stuff is ok but it don't hold a candle to some of the "classics". Some of the best made guns were made before you were born and they were wood and steel. I own three Glocks but most of my stuff is wood and steel.

Glad you're a firearms fan and glad you're here learning. :wave:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts