Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I live in Colorado but frequently visit (play in my jeep) in Utah. I have a Colorado permit and a non-resident Utah permit.

I understand that a person without a permit can "open carry" in Utah if they carry such that firing is two actions away...... for example having a full mag in a pistol but NOT a round in the chamber.

I also understand that a person who can legally conceal carry in Utah can "open carry" with a round in the chamber. So tell me fellow gunnies am I correct?

Also do cities/towns/muncipalities in Utah have the right to forbide open carry?

Thanks.......:smile:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi Folks,

I live in Colorado but frequently visit (play in my jeep) in Utah. I have a Colorado permit and a non-resident Utah permit.

I understand that a person without a permit can "open carry" in Utah if they carry such that firing is two actions away...... for example having a full mag in a pistol but NOT a round in the chamber.

I also understand that a person who can legally conceal carry in Utah can "open carry" with a round in the chamber. So tell me fellow gunnies am I correct?

Also do cities/towns/muncipalities in Utah have the right to forbide open carry?

Thanks.......:smile:
On your first two points you are correct To the third, no local laws can trump Utah State law's.

So come on over, and crawl your heart out. :wave:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I wish Texas had open carry law, and better knife laws.

You can not carry a Bowie knife in Texas.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On your first two points you are correct To the third, no local laws can trump Utah State law's.

So come on over, and crawl your heart out. :wave:
Thanks rhino...... I'm just waiting for a little snow to melt around Moab....

Also, waiting to if we can ccw in national parks come February.. Lots of national parks around Moab........:wave:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Correct. And even more useful info...

Without valid permit for the state of Utah, Open carry is legal only if handgun is 2 actions from firing, AND no round directly under the firing pin. With a valid for Utah permit, you may open OR conceal a fully loaded handgun.

Also, Utah now allows a FULLY LOADED (meaning in the chamber, ready to fire at the pull of the trigger) handgun in a vehicle WITHOUT a permit.

Definition of 2 actions from firing:

This means that a double action revolver must have 2 Empty chambers, the one directly under the firing pin and the next one because you have to be able to pull the trigger 2 times (2 actions) before it fires. A single action revolver need only have 1 chamber empty, the one directly under the firing pin while the gun is at rest. Thus the 2 actions would be 1. cock hammer 2. pull trigger.

This also means that any semi auto handgun can have a loaded magazine, but not one in the chamber, ie 1911 models that are technically 2 actions from firing if the hammer is not cocked still cannot have a round in the chamber, thus forcing the 2 actions to be 1. rack the slide 2. pull the trigger.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A question to Rhino... my CC instructor told our class that Utah honors Colorados CC permits, is this true? or is it the 2 action rule?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Arffdog, Utah honors all states Res and non Resident permits. It's best to call the agency that issues you're permit and ask them. Here's a excellent LINK for all the state's CCW law's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You CAN carry in a national park too with a permit too I beleive. So no worries about arches in Moab and others.

Edit: I just double checked handgunlaw.us and according to the website toucan carry into state parks and state and national forests but not a national park yet. I was talking to a coworker and he said he thinks that the law that will allow you to carry into a national park goes into effect in February.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You CAN carry in a national park too with a permit too I beleive. So no worries about arches in Moab and others.

Edit: I just double checked handgunlaw.us and according to the website toucan carry into state parks and state and national forests but not a national park yet. I was talking to a coworker and he said he thinks that the law that will allow you to carry into a national park goes into effect in February.
For a brief period of time (toward the end of Dubya's second term) you could ccw in a national park. Then when the Obama administration took over they took that right away. The currently plans are to allow (once again) ccw in February 2010. We shall see......:scruntiny:

·
Registered
8 Posts
National Park Carry

Starting February 22nd, 2010 (George Washington's Birthday) you can conceal carry in the National Parks if you have a CC Permit. I believe that it is governed by the state the National Park resides in, so that state needs to recognize your states permit. I believe it is restricted to concealed carry, I am not sure if you can open carry. I know the great state of Wyoming has a constitution that protects true open carry. I frequent Yellowstone each year, but I don't think I could open carry in the Park, just CC.

I plan on making myself clear on the law before I go to the park this june and september.

·
Banned
471 Posts
Starting February 22nd, 2010 (George Washington's Birthday) you can conceal carry in the National Parks if you have a CC Permit. I believe that it is governed by the state the National Park resides in, so that state needs to recognize your states permit. I believe it is restricted to concealed carry, I am not sure if you can open carry. I know the great state of Wyoming has a constitution that protects true open carry. I frequent Yellowstone each year, but I don't think I could open carry in the Park, just CC.

I plan on making myself clear on the law before I go to the park this june and september.
And you should have made yourself clear on the law before posting incorrect information as well :twak:

Actually, sorry, you posted correct information : you BELIEVE it is restricted to concealed carry. I am sure that is a true statement. However, the law is not restrictive to concealed carry and open carry will be allowed in National Parks according to state law.

I STILL do not understand all the hooplah over the new law. Just erase the National Park boundary off the map. If you can do it outside the National Park in a state, you can do it inside a National Park in that state.

·
Registered
764 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts