Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Virginia resident with a valid CHP and am going to Nags Head next week. I have read the laws for carrying in my vehicle in NC and am thoroughly confused. Can someone familiar with NC laws please educate me on how I can carry my handgun in my vehicle in NC? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
NC honors all state issued permits. Sadly, it don't work the other way around.
However, North Carolina and Virginia do share reciprocity agreements.

Reactions: piguy

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I carry the same in my vehicle as I do anywhere else, concealed !! But in NC it's fine loaded in the open . With your Va. chp your is also ok in a console or glove box loaded too . Why carry off your body ?? Just have a good lock box if going for a swim . Hate to arm a BG if your cars broken into .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I carry the same in my vehicle as I do anywhere else, concealed !! But in NC it's fine loaded in the open . With your Va. chp your is also ok in a console or glove box loaded too . Why carry off your body ?? Just have a good lock box if going for a swim . Hate to arm a BG if your cars broken into .
So I can place it in the center console between the front seats and that is an acceptable place to transport it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Cool. Thanks for all your responses.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Just don't forget that NC requires that you notify LE immediately if approached for an official interaction. I'd also recommend that if approached, notify verbally and not just hand your permit to the officer. The statutes say you must notify immediately and if requested by the officer provide permit and ID.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Additionally, I believe you cannot carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. That's a different requirement than concealed carrying in VA.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
As royal barnes noted You can go into a bar or eatery the serves alcohol in NC but there is a zero alcohol tolerance when you carry . Some of the best food can be found or in bars or in Asheville breweries .

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just don't forget that NC requires that you notify LE immediately if approached for an official interaction. I'd also recommend that if approached, notify verbally and not just hand your permit to the officer. The statutes say you must notify immediately and if requested by the officer provide permit and ID.
I am not disagreeing with the verbal response. NC-HP likes to conduct driver license check points randomly. With my left arm hanging out the window clearly visible with drivers license and NCCHP and my right in clear view grasping the steering wheel the officer said nothing to me other than using my first name after examining the drivers license and NCCHP. Other times I've told them I have a NCCHP and have a weapon in my possession.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I am not disagreeing with the verbal response. NC-HP likes to conduct driver license check points randomly. With my left arm hanging out the window clearly visible with drivers license and NCCHP and my right in clear view grasping the steering wheel the officer said nothing to me other than using my first name after examining the drivers license and NCCHP. Other times I've told them I have a NCCHP and have a weapon in my possession.
Just to let you know where my response comes from, the state of NC teaches LE that it's written as notify and then produce permit and ID if requested. The reason being that it negates people fishing around just prior to interaction and not appearing to be hiding something or getting something their not supposed to be getting until the officer has a good visual on the occupants.

NC concealed carry class instructors are trained by the same people at the justice academy as LEO and this was a point they hammered in training so while some officers may let it slide when you just hand over your permit I prefer to teach what works in all situations and follows state instructions.

Remember, not all random license checkpoints are what they appear. They look the same as when their looking for a specific threat such as an escaped prisoner or fleeing felon. You don't really know until you're stopped in front of the officer.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Additionally, I believe you cannot carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. That's a different requirement than concealed carrying in VA.
INCORRECT!
You CAN carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol, as long as you do not consume, and the business is NOT posted.

In NC "no guns" signs to carry the weight of law, an infraction.

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
938 Posts
NC is a "must notify" but not a "must show (CHP)" state. The LEO can ask to see the permit, and only them must you show it.

I went through a "DL check point" both hands on the wheel. I advised I was armed, he nodded, asked for my drivers license, then walked to the back of the vehicle to check if the tag was current (I assume), then handed my DL back to me.

Another time after a minor traffic collision, I also advised I was armed, he did as where it was since I was standing on the side of the road, said "k", then asked for my DL and insurance, and did the paperwork and gave me a copy of the other drivers info. He did ask me if I wanted her to be ticketed (she turned in front of me), and I told him no, she was having a bad enough day already.

So I have yet to actually "show" my CHP.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Also, NC is an Open Carry state, no permit required. So, don't worry about your shirt riding up and exposing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts