Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bill put forward by Delegate Mark Levine (D) would make it a felony for law-abiding citizens to possess a magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. It further would make it a felony to possess 10-round magazines, if such magazines have a “removable plate” on the bottom that would allow capacity expansion.

HOUSE BILL NO. 961
Offered January 8, 2020
Prefiled January 7, 2020
A BILL to amend and reenact §§ 16.1-278.9, 18.2-287.4, 18.2-308.2:01, 18.2-308.2:1, 18.2-308.2:2, 18.2-308.7, 18.2-308.8, and 19.2-386.28 of the Code of Virginia and to amend the Code of Virginia by adding sections numbered 18.2-308.9 through 18.2-308.13, relating to prohibition of sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms, certain firearms magazines, silencers, and trigger activators; penalties.
----------
Patron-- Levine
----------
Committee Referral Pending
----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia...

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB961

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
@PPS1980: Seriously, this does not surprise me. The real shocker should be that they are up to 961 House Bills on the day they are sworn in. There are some other bad bills in there that don't have to do with guns, like prohibiting any area in the state from being zoned for single family housing. So you thought you were moving to the 'burbs, but guess what's going up next to you..."the projects!"

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
So what happens if I use my gen3 Glock 19 in my defense and it has its standard magazine, which means 15 rounds? Am I going to be classed as a felon?

This is in clear violation of the "ex post facto" clause of the Virginia and the federal constitutions. They need to be called to the carpet on this by our side.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Don't you wonder how many of the people voting on that will read it from start to finish... and how many of those will actually comprehend it?? They should have to pass a comprehension test on a bill before they are allowed to vote on it... in any state or federal legislative body IMO. I never would have guessed it'd be a southern state but VA is kinda terrifying right now.

Good Luck Guys!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@PPS1980: You really had to cut and past the whole thing. Have you heard of links? LOL

Seriously, this does not surprise me. The real shocker should be that they are up to 961 House Bills on the day they are sworn in. There are some other bad bills in there that don't have to do with guns, like prohibiting any area in the state from being zoned for single family housing. So you thought you were moving to the 'burbs, but guess what's going up next to you..."the projects!"
I don't see the whole thing there........what are you talking about? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't you wonder how many of the people voting on that will read it from start to finish... and how many of those will actually comprehend it?? They should have to pass a comprehension test on a bill before they are allowed to vote on it... in any state or federal legislative body IMO. I never would have guessed it'd be a southern state but VA is kinda terrifying right now.

Good Luck Guys!!!!
Which was part of my original intent (see what I did there) in posting the entire bill in all its gibberish glory. But, I do understand the forum and mods seeing it as excessive and editing it down to a reasonable size. If only the elected idiots could have that level of wisdom.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
I watched a video by a pro-gun attorney in Virginia Beach. He and a couple other attorneys did an analysis of what percentage of Virginians probably own weapons that will be prohibited by just SB 16, the "Assault Firearms Ban." They applied those percentages to just the city of Suffolk, which is about 90,000 people. Then they made the assumption that half of those people would comply with the law. Then they calculated the probable cost to detect, arrest, try, convict and incarcerate the half that didn't, when all was said and done. They felt it would be in the neighborhood of $250 million dollars. That does not even include possible lawsuits against the city. The entire annual operating and capital budget for Suffolk is $639.4 million.

You do the math...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think in a territory where the government is forcibly confiscating firearms, due process and lawsuits become perfunctory. Civil liberty, our Constitution, BOR and freedom will already have left the building. I've no idea what it looks like if things come to that and I've heard all the themes... the one thing I do know is won't go they way the people behind it think it will either.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
So what happens if I use my gen3 Glock 19 in my defense and it has its standard magazine, which means 15 rounds? Am I going to be classed as a felon?

This is in clear violation of the "ex post facto" clause of the Virginia and the federal constitutions. They need to be called to the carpet on this by our side.
Bloomberg didn’t care in NY, and doesn’t care here either. He got away with it (SAFE Act?) and will keep pushing the same garbage elsewhere, including here in VA.

·
Registered
620 Posts
No one, and I mean no one, has ever been able to explain to me how the magic number 10 was determined. During a discussion at lunch today, I asked, "So, rather than carry a gun with a 15-round magazine, I now have to carry a gun with a 10-rounder. Plus another 10-rounder in my pocket. How does that make sense? In fact, I'm now carrying MORE lethality than if I just had my 15 rounds."

Dumb look.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No one, and I mean no one, has ever been able to explain to me how the magic number 10 was determined. During a discussion at lunch today, I asked, "So, rather than carry a gun with a 15-round magazine, I now have to carry a gun with a 10-rounder. Plus another 10-rounder in my pocket. How does that make sense? In fact, I'm now carrying MORE lethality than if I just had my 15 rounds."

Dumb look.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Dumb look.

Most lawmakers have ten (10) fingers. So they can count and visualize up to ten (10) fairly easily. After that the numbers look big and scary.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
So if my magazine has an ident that prevents it from being loaded beyond 10 rounds but still has a removable base, I can’t own it? This just shows how it is about taking things from law-abiding citizens and nothing to do with violence.

What I still find interesting about the 10rds, is that the Safe-Act was originally 7rds, but that was deemed not Constitutional yet 10 is ok. What is the magically difference in the regards to the Constitution between 7 and 10?

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts

Dumb look.
I wonder if it'll be legal to tape two 10 round mags together for an AR/AK so it would be a simple drop and flip. 2 mags taped together make it a 20 round mag?

Reactions: baren and airslot

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Bloomberg didn’t care in NY, and doesn’t care here either. He got away with it (SAFE Act?) and will keep pushing the same garbage elsewhere, including here in VA.
Absolutely right about that. It's just that the RINOS's in the general assembly should know better and should rise up to this constitutional infraction.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
If this becomes law and you are convicted of violating it, yes.
"Section 9. Prohibition of excessive bail and fines, cruel and unusual punishment, suspension of habeas
corpus, bills of attainder, and ex post facto laws.

That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments
inflicted; that the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended unless when, in cases of invasion or
rebellion, the public safety may require; and that the General Assembly shall not pass any bill of attainder, or any ex post facto law."

They are in violation of the Virginia Constitution if they pass most of these laws. Frankly, I believe that any public servant of any kind who is in a position of affecting the public liberty MUST strictly adhere the the state constitution. If not, they should be removed from office as soon as possible.

Add to that the words of Hamilton and Madison regarding this sort of thing. They both believed, along with a lot more I would bet, that any law that countermands the Constitution ought not be obeyed. In fact it is the duty of the People NOT to obey such laws as they are illegal and void at inception.

·
Registered
877 Posts
There are just too many laws creating instant felons.
Out of LAW ABIDING CITIZENS! no less. AND for doing nothing more than possessing a previously legal item of sheet metal that in itself would be hard pressed to injure someone if used as a bludgeon!!! Yet RELEASE criminals who were convicted of trafficking drugs?
But it is always easier to handle newly minted criminals made from wholely law abiding citizens than to deal with those pesky real criminals who just don't seem to give a rodents posterior about legalities.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts