Defensive Carry banner

VA Resident Permit valid after moving to NC?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  JustCuz 
#1 ·
Saw a thread from a LONG time ago that suggests my VA Concealed Handgun Permit remains valid in states which honor the permit including NC. The permit states (Carry with government issued photo ID) not a VA ID.

My drivers license is now from NC. I'm close to the border of NC/VA. Now live in NC and commute and spend a lot of time in VA.

I know my VA permit doesn't allow me to buy handguns in NC, but can I CCW in NC and VA?

#3 ·
In answer to your question, I believe you can, but I would call both the VSP and your local NC sheriff's office to verify. You are supposed to report changes of address on your VA CHL as follows:

"Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit. "

Doing that would associate your VA permit with the address on your driver's licence. Notice it says "requested" not "required." I would take that to mean that the permit is still valid while the record is being changed, but you should call the VSP to verify that.

I would strongly suggest you get an NC permit also by applying through your local sheriff. Reciprocity between states can change abruptly at any time.

#4 ·
I believe the NC gives you 30 days to apply for one. I just renewed mine and will have to do so again as I am shortly moving to a new address. I would think that you would now need an out of State permit from Virginia, if such a thing exists. NC is an Open Carry State with no permit required. Nobody freaks out if they see you with a pistol on your hip, it’s not all that rare of a sight. It is also a Duty to Inform State. Any official interaction with LE requires you to produce your CCW and ID. Also, your CCW info is not tied to your vehicle tag but, it does show up when your DL is run through the system. I do not know if your Virginia CCW is still valid or if so, how long it is valid once you cease being a resident of that State.
BTW...Welcome to NC!

#5 ·
VA has non-res permits. I don't know this for sure, but I believe I have heard that if you have a res permit and you move out of state, you just send the VSP an address change and it becomes a non-res, but it does not say that specifically on the VSP website, so I would call them. It worked that way with my PA permit when I moved away from there, but every state is different.

#7 · (Edited)
Per a concealed carry instructor in NC and the woman at the Edenton Sheriff dept who accepted my NC Pistol Purchase permit and the President of the Virginia Citizens Defense League...my VA Concealed Carry IS valid until it expires. So, I can carry in NC with my VA permit despite having moved to NC.

I just emailed the Virginia State Police to get info directly from the source.

However, I still plan to get the NC Concealed permit. I just need to find an instructor who can provide the course on a Thur or Friday as I work weekends.

#10 ·
Saw a thread from a LONG time ago that suggests my VA Concealed Handgun Permit remains valid in states which honor the permit including NC. The permit states (Carry with government issued photo ID) not a VA ID.

My drivers license is now from NC. I'm close to the border of NC/VA. Now live in NC and commute and spend a lot of time in VA.

I know my VA permit doesn't allow me to buy handguns in NC, but can I CCW in NC and VA?
The VA permit remains valid per my conversation with two VA troopers. However, not all states that accept VA permits will accept that permit once you become a resident of their state. Tennessee allows a relatively short period to get a Tennessee permit. I learned this, in a nice way, from a deputy here after I moved. The wording in the TN law wasn't clear to me. That said, I can carry on the VA permit in most states that accept VA permits, but not at my new home.

I don't think these intricate details appear in handgunlaw.us

#12 ·
The following is taken from the Durham, NC sheriff's web page, on the topic of firearms and permits........FWIW:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Q. I have a valid concealed handgun permit issued in another state and have moved to Durham County. What do I need to do?

A. North Carolina and Durham County recognize valid concealed handgun permits from all 50 states. Please check with your state to ensure your CCW will still be valid under their laws after you move to North Carolina or change your legal residence In any event, 90 days prior to the expiration of your out-of-state concealed handgun permit, you must complete an approved North Carolina firearms safety course. After completing the course you may apply for a new North Carolina concealed handgun permit with the Durham County Sheriff’s Office.
Your CCW address is not required to match your NC driver’s unless you intend to purchase a firearm. If you intend to purchase a firearm, you will need a purchase permit. A purchase permit requires a matching address.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I suggest confirm in the NC county of residence.

#13 ·
CAS Shooter, I think it was very kind of you to dig that information out and at face value, Durham County seems the image of support for citizens rights. But they are not. Durham County is the most draconian with respect to the carrying public of all 100 counties in the state of North Carolina. As a resident of that county some years ago, I remember that the sheriff wanted all firearms to be “registered” at his office though there is NO state or county law that requires it. There isn’t even a legal form for you to fill out. I would expect that the sheriff got perhaps 1-2% compliance. Just a few years ago I purchased a hand gun from a gun shop based in Durham County and they urged me to take good care of the original receipt. In the case of a traffic stop, the Sheriff’s Dept was known to confiscate your firearm on occasion and require the original receipt as proof of ownership....nothing less would do. And I have never heard of a CC permit application ever being processed in Durham County in less than the 90 days that they are allowed to consume. They told me, at the time I got my first permit, not to inquire on Day 89 or before.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. The words “Durham County” are the finger nails on my personal blackboard.

#14 ·
Alas, OP you are no longer a citizen of VA as you now have a NC driver's license as well as registered your vehicle in the tarheel state.

therefore, you do not have a 'valid' id to show the the LE's who might stop you on the hi/by ways of NC.

what ya'll chatting about "RECOGNIZING" is visiting from other states, per se.
handgunlaw.us is your friend...

https://handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

point of information...do not ask the SO about anything as they do not know nor will they 'remember' any conversation advising citizens about anything nor should you follow the info on the county's websites as they are not necessarily based on state statutes or kept current!!

btw, the durham SO didn't require registration it was the county officials who mandated registration by statute!

Dean PM if need further info...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.