Defensive Carry banner

Vacuum Sealing Your Guns!

1064 46
Sorry for the Table Cloth as my wife refuses to put it away right now. STILL wants that Christmas Snowman atmosphere ! ( I think this cloth is worse than the one @OD* has!
I have a 12 inch food sealer unit. We were sealing up some chicken and beef and I said heyy what the heck, I'll try an experiment
2 inch Smitty 5 Screw Pre Model 10 1948 Era
Same gun but with that dang Fangled Taurus 38 Spl I got a couple weeks ago. ( BTW S&W grips WILL FIT the Taurus of that age ( Early 5 screw S&W Model 10 Clone as the gun was probably made late 68 or so)
Just something to think about during these times we are going through!
White Motor vehicle Sleeve Automotive design Font
Art Painting Pattern Tints and shades Paint
Revolver Air gun Trigger Art Sleeve
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
722 Posts
Why on earth would I want to do something like this?

Silly IMHO.

Sorry for the Table Cloth as my wife refuses to put it away right now. STILL wants that Christmas Snowman atmosphere ! ( I think this cloth is worse than the one @OD* has!
I have a 12 inch food sealer unit. We were sealing up some chicken and beef and I said heyy what the heck, I'll try an experiment
Same gun but with that dang Fangled Taurus 38 Spl I got a couple weeks ago. ( BTW S&W grips WILL FIT the Taurus of that age ( Early 5 screw S&W Model 10 Clone as the gun was probably made late 68 or so)
View attachment 402171 View attachment 402172 View attachment 402173

· Registered
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
If I was going to bury them, I might coat them with Cosmoline and add some liquid inside the bag. Good Luck DR
I guess this was a trial run of sorts. Most everybody here knows what I may have, and yes, l'm concerned about the future. I'm gonna try placing a couple of my older and lest expensive guns inside a tube, ( like the mossberg JIC ) along with a light film of lubricant and re-checking them about 6 months from now, or the time I "submerge" them.

· Registered
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why on earth would I want to do something like this?

Silly IMHO.
Same thing. Why would you not? Military long term storage seems to work. If it's "Silly" then that's ok. Just my views on things, and it was just an experiment IMO and food for thought. People wrap their guns in oil and a rag, and that isn't the best way to preserve them either.

· Registered
12,894 Posts
Reactions: Sister and CLASS3NH

· Premium Member
9,587 Posts
About that...sealing the firearm in the bag probably won't protect the firearm from the moist air in the bag. The air will produce condensation with temperature swings.

Reactions: CLASS3NH

· Premium Member
9,678 Posts
About that...sealing the firearm in the bag probably won't protect the firearm from the moist air in the bag. The air will produce condensation with temperature swings.
That would depend on the level of vacuum you could pull. Get real close to 30 inches, & maybe prep the firearm. That would take care of it.

· Registered
999 Posts
I have vacuum sealed a couple of pistols that I rarely shoot and one Winchester 1892 rifle that I got from my Grandfather. I think the longest I've kept them sealed is 6 years. No rust or corrosion on them when I did unseal them.

I also vacuum seal all my rifle and pistol ammo in their original boxes and store the boxes in GI ammo boxes. Some of it is going on 10 years old, but the brass stays bright and shiny. Now at my age, I'm starting to think it's a bit of overkill, heh.

· Super Moderator
22,621 Posts
View attachment 402171 View attachment 402172 View attachment 402173
Re the choice in tablecloths and related decor, your wife and mine would get along real well!

· Registered
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It is good to know what everybody has to say! Like I mentioned, it's an experiment, and with all the input every one of us shared, good, bad, or indifferent, it's ALL Good! My thought process was to see how the vacuum works, and with some of my NFA stuff, it might be a good thing to seal lowers, uppers, especially in the longer items I have that use belts, or the Thompsons. Maybe a small packet of silica Gel added to the mix. Right now, who knows. I'm just playing with things and getting ideas. Just wanted to open up the lines of communication. I value all of this, and all your opinions and knowledge shared so far!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts