Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Texas is there any connection between driving with your plates expired and your LTC? If I get stopped before I get it fixed and I'm carrying with my LTC is that any kind of problem (other than the obvious ticket for expired tags/inspection)?

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I don't know what part of Texas you live in, but around here no one has been able to renew plates since the craziness started.

My wife went with our granddaughter to renew hers and told me the office had a sign saying they were closed until some unknown time in the future. I have heard from a couple of folks that they got stopped and the officer just shrugged about that particular issue and didn't write a citation.

In any event. No...it won't affect your LTC.

Reactions: baren and Rabbit212

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Not that I know of. and @OldChap: why can't you renew online? Or does your granddaughter prefer to not do it online. It takes 10 seconds.
She just moved to this area from Lubbock and for whatever reason, Harris county is one of those places that would not allow on-line renewal by people moving here from other parts of the state. She has paid twice for the expensive Harris County "inspection" (read that TAX) and cannot get into an office to renew.

I told her to show both receipts to any officer who happened to ask and ask him how to go about getting her money back, since it isn't for lack of trying but rather a problem with the office being closed.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What they all said, no connection.

Probably wouldn't even get pulled over for that this year anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for setting my mind at ease. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
I don't know what part of Texas you live in, but around here no one has been able to renew plates since the craziness started.

My wife went with our granddaughter to renew hers and told me the office had a sign saying they were closed until some unknown time in the future. I have heard from a couple of folks that they got stopped and the officer just shrugged about that particular issue and didn't write a citation.

In any event. No...it won't affect your LTC.
We are able to do it online and also at the Tom Thumb market up here in DFW
I think you can also mail in.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
If they run the plates and the vehicle is registered to you it will show you have a LTC. And if carrying, must inform.
If driving someone else’s car and they run your DL, then the LTC will popup.
So, be nice and always inform the LEO if ever stopped.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
We are able to do it online and also at the Tom Thumb market up here in DFW
I think you can also mail in.
We tried that. Our HEB's (IIRC) only take registration from Harris County registered vehicles. I have no idea why. I haven't contacted DPS to see about mailing it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I asked one of our Constables about online and he said you can only do that if you get it before it expires. Hers expired during the move down here and she failed to notice it. I guess the lesson is take care of it online when they say you are eligible. We always do ours that way. The office down here is a ZOO! I had to have a new DL photo and I spent nearly all day waiting. Serious problems with them. We have never had any problem with walk-in anywhere else in Texas.

@sammeow The last time I had any interaction with law enforcement about traffic was the day Elvis Presley died - whenever that was! I didn't get a ticket then. I have only two traffic citations on my record - both before I turned 18 years old, 54 years ago.

Reactions: CJ810

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
If they run the plates and the vehicle is registered to you it will show you have a LTC. And if carrying, must inform.

^^^^^ Maybe over in Texass ^^^^^^^^^ not over her, No inform officifer ; )
H/D

·
Registered
40 Posts
No connection in Texas. And OldChap is right, most of the major metropolitan areas in Texas are giving a grace period on plate renewals right now.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
As of Sept. 2019, you no longer have to inform you are carrying. This was relayed to me a couple months ago when I was stopped by a Texas DPS. You are also now allowed to carry any firearm in your vehicle, concealed or not.

As to getting a citation and it affecting your LTC, not if it's just a simple traffic violation, including expired license, tags or insurance. Only violations that affect your LTC are DUI, DWI or any federal infractions.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
As someone else said, Governor Abbott put a “grace period” of sorts in place when Covid hit. It lasts as long as the state of emergency lasts, and that’s not been cancelled yet. We have until 60 days after DPS notifies us that operations are back to normal.

Mine expires today. I’m waiting it out, haven’t gotten the inspection, haven’t bought the new sticker. As I see it, I have at least 60 days to deal with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts