Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only tested two types of carry loads, but I think they tell an interesting tale.
The 3.3 inch barrel is a source of some concern as to whether you can use full weight ammo, so I decided to do a little test.
I tested both the 9mm +P Critical Duty, and the 147 grain Speer Gold Dot
Here are the results. But keep in mind that it was literally 0 degrees out at this time of day:

For the Critical Duty, I got an average velocity of 1015FPS with 5 shots. This is about 8-9% below the advertised velocity for a 4" barrel of 1110FPS. This brings it closer to the velocity of the non +P, which is about 1010FPS. For those who care, The high was 1032 and the low was 998. Recoil is incredibly mild.

For the Gold Dot, I got an average velocity of 976FPS with 5 shots. This is about a 1.5% drop in the advertised 990FPS out of a 4". The low was 959, and the high was 993. This is pretty impressive.

My theory about these test results is that the rotating barrel design is behind the good retention of velocity. The lock time on the rotating barrel is longer than the lock time of the standard tilting barrel designs. And if you count the fact that the bullet is still being propelled out of the barrel for a few feet after leaving the barrel, this locking method help let the powder burn more efficiently before extracting the cartridge, which vents the remaining pressure. At least, that is my best guess.
As far as the +P results, I figure that the extra powder needs a longer barrel anyhow, just to start burning more than the non +P amount of powder. Who knows. I think I will have to do this test with the Nano to be sure and make a more definitive set of conclusions.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I doubt very, very seriously that the action of the barrel has anything to do with any differences.

And I bet you could try the exact same model/make of pistol and compare it to yours and see a difference also.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt very, very seriously that the action of the barrel has anything to do with any differences.

And I bet you could try the exact same model/make of pistol and compare it to yours and see a difference also.
already did. Just tried using the walther ccp with a 3.5" barrel and the gold dots came in at 967FPS average. So yeah, longer barrel and polygonal rifling, but lower velocity.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
already did. Just tried using the walther ccp with a 3.5" barrel and the gold dots came in at 967FPS average. So yeah, longer barrel and polygonal rifling, but lower velocity.
I meant if you shot them thru another Beretta PX4, it will probably give you different velocities.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant if you shot them thru another Beretta PX4, it will probably give you different velocities.
um....actually there are other reviews that show these results too. I just did my own to be sure. Are you really that offended by my THEORY?

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
um....actually there are other reviews that show these results too. I just did my own to be sure. Are you really that offended by my THEORY?
To be honest, and not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure exactly what point you were trying to convey.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
First, what weight was the Critical Duty? Second, wouldn't it have been better to compare the same brand and variety of +P vs standard?

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
Reactions: LeanHard

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be honest, and not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure exactly what point you were trying to convey.
That makes sense. Well let me explain Barney style. People like their guns, and they like to know how certain rounds will perform in their guns. I do this kind of thing for a living, so I am just spreading the word.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, what weight was the Critical Duty? Second, wouldn't it have been better to compare the same brand and variety of +P vs standard?
no point. I use the +P loading. Im not comparing the difference in manufacturer loads. I am comparing my different carry options.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
That makes sense. Well let me explain Barney style. People like their guns, and they like to know how certain rounds will perform in their guns. I do this kind of thing for a living, so I am just spreading the word.
Well thank you Barney.
But Im still not quite sure what you have told us.

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
Thanks for the velocity data of the two loads. I always love reading that stuff here.

"For the Gold Dot, I got an average velocity of 976FPS with 5 shots. This is about a 1.5% drop in the advertised 990FPS out of a 4". The low was 959, and the high was 993. This is pretty impressive."

Just as a comparison of nothing in particular, the following is found in my notes regarding the only 147 grain factory 9mm loads I ever chronograph tested. I shot a 10-shot string of Winchester Black Talon 147 grain ammunition over the chronograph from a Luger with 4-inch barrel, obtaining an average velocity of 980 fps and 314 ft./lbs. of energy with an extreme spread of 24 fps. As the test was conducted in Texas on the afternoon of August 17, 1996 I'm certain the temperature was considerably higher than 0F.

"And if you count the fact that the bullet is still being propelled out of the barrel for a few feet after leaving the barrel, this locking method help let the powder burn more efficiently before extracting the cartridge, which vents the remaining pressure. At least, that is my best guess."

I wouldn't count on that to be factual. I'm guessing as well as I have never attempted to obtain velocities for the first few feet after leaving the barrel. The first chronograph screen would of necessity have to be placed at muzzle contact distance in order to conduct a test verifying further projectile acceleration after barrel exit. Such a test would be hard on the equipment. I'm thinking that once the bullet is "uncorked" and leaves the barrel, the propellant powder has done all it's gonna do, propulsion is over and done with, and the bullet ceases further acceleration.

"As far as the +P results, I figure that the extra powder needs a longer barrel anyhow, just to start burning more than the non +P amount of powder. Who knows. I think I will have to do this test with the Nano to be sure and make a more definitive set of conclusions."

I do know that with my handloaded efforts, both the powders and the charge weights that provide higher velocities in the longer barrels, also will provide higher velocities in the shorty barrels too.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
Well I guess that explains the problem. You're that guy. A troll who goes around mucking with posts that don't align to your belief system.
Huh?
Dude, you have not told us the length of your test barrel, as if the reader would know; and I have no idea what a Berreta PX4 barrel length is, but since you do this for a living, you would think you would know that it's obligatory to give that info.

And where does my belief system come in to this, and where have I disputed or challenged your findings?

Dont blame me because of your piss poor ability to communicate your intentions.

Especially when you say ," the bullet is still being propelled out the barrel for a few feet", and then attribute a velocity retention to a barrel design.....
I hope that bullet is propelled out of the barrel farther than a few feet....

I hope you have a back up plan for earning money, because if you can't explain what you are doing, and can only attack people who ask a question, then you aren't going to be eating healthy.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Not sure what exactly you are explaining either. Full weight ammo? Do you mean heavy bullet weight grain as opposed to lighter offerings? And shorter barrel will usually equate lower velocity ?

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
No Daddydon. Glockman10mm isn't a troll. I'm more likely to be a closet troll for fun and profit than he is.

From Forum Rules found in the heading of every Forum page.

2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.
If you have a crappy attitude please leave it at the door before you enter!

Don't publicly accuse fellow Forum members of being trolls.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
Not to steal gman's thunder, but no one here is offended by your theory; I had similar thoughts as I read your results. As a career numbers guy - aerospace test engineer and "measurement scientist," I look at sources of variability and repeatability of results as part of "verification and validation." My chrono might give 5% different results than yours, and a 5% variation already masks any difference that might be attributable to the action difference. Without saying your theory is flat-out wrong or without merit, you simply haven't eliminated enough variables to warrant support of your theory.

You may be onto something, and I encourage you to pursue additional testing, but you are a long way off from definitive conclusions. Don't be offended by people doubting your conclusions, but take that as encouragement to demonstrate you're correct.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Huh?
Dude, you have not told us the length of your test barrel, as if the reader would know; and I have no idea what a Berreta PX4 barrel length is, but since you do this for a living, you would think you would know that it's obligatory to give that info.

And where does my belief system come in to this, and where have I disputed or challenged your findings?

Dont blame me because of your piss poor ability to communicate your intentions.

Especially when you say ," the bullet is still being propelled out the barrel for a few feet", and then attribute a velocity retention to a barrel design.....
I hope that bullet is propelled out of the barrel farther than a few feet....

I hope you have a back up plan for earning money, because if you can't explain what you are doing, and can only attack people who ask a question, then you aren't going to be eating healthy.
I actually did say my test barrel length. Right at the beginning

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I only tested two types of carry loads, but I think they tell an interesting tale.
The 3.3 inch barrel is a source of some concern as to whether you can use full weight ammo, so I decided to do a little test.
I tested both the 9mm +P Critical Duty, and the 147 grain Speer Gold Dot
Here are the results. But keep in mind that it was literally 0 degrees out at this time of day:

For the Critical Duty, I got an average velocity of 1015FPS with 5 shots. This is about 8-9% below the advertised velocity for a 4" barrel of 1110FPS. This brings it closer to the velocity of the non +P, which is about 1010FPS. For those who care, The high was 1032 and the low was 998. Recoil is incredibly mild.

For the Gold Dot, I got an average velocity of 976FPS with 5 shots. This is about a 1.5% drop in the advertised 990FPS out of a 4". The low was 959, and the high was 993. This is pretty impressive.

My theory about these test results is that the rotating barrel design is behind the good retention of velocity. The lock time on the rotating barrel is longer than the lock time of the standard tilting barrel designs. And if you count the fact that the bullet is still being propelled out of the barrel for a few feet after leaving the barrel, this locking method help let the powder burn more efficiently before extracting the cartridge, which vents the remaining pressure. At least, that is my best guess.
As far as the +P results, I figure that the extra powder needs a longer barrel anyhow, just to start burning more than the non +P amount of powder. Who knows. I think I will have to do this test with the Nano to be sure and make a more definitive set of conclusions.
Show me in this above where you stated the Beretta PX4 had a 3.3 inch barrel.
I actually did say my test barrel length. Right at the beginning

1 - 20 of 31 Posts