Votes: 41 85.4%
  • Horizontal Carrier

Votes: 7 14.6%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to see how many people use vertical magazine carriers versus Horizontal ones?
I've tried and have both,and although the Horizontal doesn't print hardly at all I find it alot harder to grab and seem to be alot faster with the vertical carrier" which do others prefer?

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Horizontal for me, it's what I'm used to grabbing quickly...:22a:

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Horizontal carriers were designed for law enforcement and meant to be carried in front of the holster on the strong side. This gives great access to the off hand, but puts all the weight on the same side. Not an issue with a loaded LEO gunbelt, but quite unbalanced with civilian wear. When you try to wear a horizontal on the weak side, it's difficult to make a smooth, secure draw and orientation for mag insertion.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Vertical for me. Around here, law enforcement carry horizontal double mag carriers for the most part from what I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
=retsupt99;1427272Horizontal for me, it's what I'm used to grabbing quickly...:22a:

This was in error...a brain fart:gah:...I only use vertical mag holders, not horizontal...too late to correct the original post.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Horizontal. Weak side.
I dont know of anyone that carries both the gun and the mags on the same side.
A little apples to oranges.... Many of our deputies carry horizontal mags strong side, up front, open towards the buckle of the duty belt. Allows for a weak hand retrieve directly in front of the body where there's a natural opening in the gear on the belt (due to the buckle). That's the only time I've seen strong side mag carry. Seems incredibly impractical for a permit holder's purposes.

HotGuns.... I'm curious how you position your horizontal mags. I've not seen horizontal used for CCW. Where do you position the mags? Draw to front or rear? Etc.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Vertical only for me, weak-side carry. When I (very rarely) carry a speed loader case for use with revolvers, I will carry that on the strong side as one would with appendix carry. The holster, pistol or revolver, is at four o'clock.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Vertical, double mag holder, weakside.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
For CCW, I use vertical. Horizontal carrys and hides better but it is harder to draw a mag on my offside.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Vertical weak side IWB - horizontal strong side on shoulder rig

·
Registered
201 Posts
Vertical weak side IWB - horizontal strong side on shoulder rig

:haha: What he said.

I pocket carry or MiniTuck the P-3at with a mag IWB vertical opposite side. Supertuck the Glock with IWB vertical opposite side, but when I shoulder carry the 26 the mags are horizontal on a Miami Classic II.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Vertical double and or single, weak side seems good for me. Works good where I shoot and the gun I'm on at the time.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Voted Vertical So much easier to reload ;-)
H/D

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
HotGuns.... I'm curious how you position your horizontal mags. I've not seen horizontal used for CCW. Where do you position the mags? Draw to front or rear? Etc.
For CHL I use verticle mags on the weak side, for balance.

On duty, I wear the horizontal mags on the weak side facing the buckle.
Both agencys that I work at pretty much everyone does it the same.

Its pretty easy to me. The mags are positioned on the belt where the off hand naturally hangs. You pop the top, slide the mag out, while you are ejecting the spent mag with your strong hand, bring the two together and insert. Sling shoot the slide while coming up on target with both hands and shoot.

With some practice its pretty quick.

The radio goes right behind the mags at the 9 oclock postition. Between the radio and the two full mags, it offsets the weight of the Glock 21 pretty well.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Vertical, either strong side when carrying in my shoulder holster, or weak side when I'm carrying OWB.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Vertical for me, Ive never actually tried Horizontal carry :embarassed:

·
Registered
146 Posts
For CHL I use verticle mags on the weak side, for balance.

On duty, I wear the horizontal mags on the weak side facing the buckle.
Oh, I thought you were saying you used horizontal for CCW purposes. I'm with you now. Most our guys up here carry horizontal on the duty belt also. I was just trying to get a feel for how you did horizontal on CCW.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts