Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used a shoulder holster before, but I think I'd like it. I'm thinking I could replace a couple buttons on my shirt with velcro, and make it easy to access my pistol. I'm a contractor, and don't want to be caught printing; I don't know how some of my customers would react. I've been using my LC9 in an appendix method, but it is uncomfortable driving or bending, so I know my g27 won't work well that way. Any thoughts on my method or a good choice for a shoulder holster? Most of the options I have found are for horizontal carry, which I don't think would work well for me, I'm small framed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My limited experience with shoulder holsters is a shirt alone doesn't cover well. Good to go with a jacket - until you take it off.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's what I read elsewhere, but hoping someone will have experience how to make it happen. Are there other tradesmen out there who carry (I'm sure there are), how do you carry a compact? I can where my shirt untucked, maybe I could try inside the waist band at 5 o'clock. I guess I just need to try a few things, but don't have a lot of $ to burn.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
A maintenance vest works well for me. It's a CCW vest, but I had to build a proper holster in the inside pocket as the vertical velcro retention is great for carry, cut deadly to you on the slow, cumbersome draw as you fight to lift with no head space and then spin it. Now it's a straight draw out, with muzzle and butt roughly level.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Stoner makes a fine shoulder holster. All leather, very adjustable, and very comfortable. It doesn't print under a shirt and carry position is vertical. Mag carriers may be attached to the opposing side. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
I've never used a shoulder holster before, but I think I'd like it. I'm thinking I could replace a couple buttons on my shirt with velcro, and make it easy to access my pistol. I'm a contractor, and don't want to be caught printing; I don't know how some of my customers would react. I've been using my LC9 in an appendix method, but it is uncomfortable driving or bending, so I know my g27 won't work well that way. Any thoughts on my method or a good choice for a shoulder holster? Most of the options I have found are for horizontal carry, which I don't think would work well for me, I'm small framed.
https://www.kangaroocarry.com/

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I carry under a button shirt sometimes. CZ 75b in a vertical shoulder holster. Seems to carry fine standing. Depending on how I sit you can sometimes tell if it kicks the grip out. As to the shirt, don't change anything. Any situation needing a gun is a situation you can sacrifice a few buttons for. And on the sly, buttons are more quite than velcro. The loudest sound in the world is the sound of velcro that you want to be quiet.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never thought about the noise of velcro, maybe I'll try snaps. I can't afford to rip off my buttons every time I practice, I would like to practice. I like the thought of the kangaroo carry, thanks for the idea. I ordered a cheap knockoff to see if the idea is even doable, I'll find the best holster once I decide on which method I want to use. I also picked up a GOULD & GOODRICH B890-G27 just to see how I would like iwb. Again, not the best holster, but I can get an idea w/o breaking the back. I have kydex for my larger guns, but they are owb; I like the tight grip they keep on my gun. Thanks for the input, I'll try and check in after trying them out.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I prefer shoulder holsters and I prefer vertical shoulder holsters because they are more concealable for me. My favorite is a Bianchi X-15 because it carries a variety of pistols. As I write this I am carrying a Beretta 92 and it conceals very well. I also own a Galco Miami Classic vertical SH and it gets a lot of use as well. The Bianchi gets used the most in warmer months because it is relatively easy to conceal in under a loose fitting button up shirt - I use Columbia Guide shirts or Cabella's Fishing Guide shirts that are one size too big. I use vests to conceal the Miami Classics but not the Bianchi. It may sound silly, but I go to Goodwill or Salvation Army stores and find light weight, unlined lightweight spring jackets and cut the full length sleeves to 1/4 length sleeves. That way the straps of the SH never show. It works for me.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
A shoulder holster under the shirt works fine if your shirt allows for the added bulk. Get a good holster that fits comfortably and you'll hardly notice that you are wearing it.
Check out Alessi holsters, and if Galco is on your radar the Jackass is the most comfortable of the Galco line IMHO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been wearing my belly band type as a shoulder holster all day, it's hurting my back. Those with experience, do I need to get used to it, or would a rig with shoulder straps be easier on me? This feels comfortable, it's just that my back is aching. I'm carrying it with 9+1, don't even have a spare mag on, so it's certainly not heavy, but then I'm retirement age and a small guy.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I only have one name for shoulder holsters I have experience with: Galco

https://www.galcogunleather.com/shoulder-holster-systems_8_2.html

I have a Classic Lite and a Jackass - Glock 19/23/32/26/26 in the first, Glock 30S/20/21 fits in the second. The 19-size guns also work fine in the large frame holster. I wear mine over a T-shirt and under an untucked, unbuttoned shirt all the time. Nobody has ever been the wiser.

Reactions: Goldy49

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aren't these both horizontal rigs? Can you recommend a vertical set up, I could be wrong, but it seems more concealable. I loosened up my current rig, and it feels better. I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I can't wear the same vest day after day, I crawl in crawl spaces and other nasty places.
If that's the case, a shoulder holster will be no better. I own two different rigs. (neither are cheap) Like other's said, mine are always concealed by "at least" a light jacket. I own a G27, that gets carried daily, OWB. (if I'm not carrying an XD .40 sub-compact, in it's place) The shoulder holster rig I have, that's close to what you're thinking to use, is for a S&W 659. The "ONLY" time I carry it, is winter, with a heavy coat, as a #3, or #4 BUG. A Bianchi rig, (like I said, not CHEAP), and I'd NEVER want to have to draw it FAST! (hence BUG) Don't think I'd ever consider a shoulder rig for my G27. Thought about one for my daily carry G20 (but, once again it's a BUG!). Can you see the pattern. From what you work day is, (info you DID give), I'd try to find something in a "very well made" OWD, with a "light cover garment". OR, as @RedSafety mentioned, a vest. I know, it's not a work related thought, but a lot of my "brother's" in my M/C club carry in "vest rig's". For some, it's better than "NOT" carrying. You might want to post a little more info, for others here to chime in. Are you a plumber, lawn sprinkler tech, carpenter, someone else crawling around on ground? If, you're a contractor, I'd think a vest would be great. Could carry a tape measurer, contractor's pencil, few other items you always use, to warrant the "apparent need" for a vest. Are you thin, husky, got a gut, etc?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I agree with ButtShot14 that Stoner makes some great shoulder holsters. They're very well designed and comfortable to wear. I prefer a vertical holster so I'm not muzzling everybody behind me. Google their stuff and they have some good videos that show off their holsters and their ease of use.---Sturgis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This could get expensive. I like the belly band holster for my LC9, but not with the g27. The snap is too weak, so I'm gonna need something a little better quality for either gun. I'm still gonna need something like the stoner "stormer" to try with my Glock. I picked up a Gould & Goodrich B890 IWB to try with my glock. I've been carrying it for two days at about 4 O'clock. I like the concept, pretty comfortable, but I need something with a forward cant, I'm also concerned about retention after it breaks in. Is this a valid concern? Thanks for all the input, it's certainly not as simple as I thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.k., so I can't afford a stoner just yet, but I do like the belly band type chest holster. I've been using a no name for a couple weeks, but I'm done with it as of today. Looking at Kangaroo carry air marshal III, looks good on the promo video, but I'd like to hear from actual users. Is it necessary to add a trigger guard? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts