·
Registered
62 Posts
Ti,
Those are remarkable! Thanks for the links. :congrats:

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Ti - excellent - thanks a lot for those. I have archived quite a lot of hi-speed camera pics but these are some fresh material.

Excellent :smile:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Son of a! :twak: :rant:

Ti

·
Banned
303 Posts
Those look amazing, I can't believe they are full speed bullets!! Would a run of the mill digital camera capture a bullet that well? Surely those are light loads. I just can't believe it's full speed!!!!

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Hank - there are IIRC two main methods for high speed work.

One is a very fast frame rate camera, film or dig' - running at some crazy speed - one frame could be snagged from one of those, possibly.

Other way tho is, and this is done in a lab virtually, like other way - the camera is set up on tripod, using a ''B'' setting - shutter open. The actuation is thru sound usually and then the ''box of tricks'' fires a strobe/flash - with duration of around 1/10,000 sec. By adjusting the delay from trigger, the flash can be made to fire +/- a millisecond or so either way.

Thus - if bullet just ''stopped'' in front of a card, you could add another msec to allow it to progress a tad more before flash captures it.

Not so sure the hi intensity xenon discharge tubes can't manage a millionth of a second these days.

·
Super Moderator
25,605 Posts
Fantastic pictures. They do some great work at teh MIT photo lab.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Oh, no - they shot Beaker! :rofl:

Those are great links.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Betty said:
Oh, no - they shot Beaker! :rofl:

Those are great links.
Nope they clearly state that no Muppets were hurt and that Beaker only suffered a near miss.

I guess the shooter just couldn't bring themselves to shoot old Beaker.

-Scott-

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think this guy's wife took everything away from him, because he kept shooting everything. Now all he gets is other people's business cards, and playing cards.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
P95Carry said:
Hank - there are IIRC two main methods for high speed work.

One is a very fast frame rate camera, film or dig' - running at some crazy speed - one frame could be snagged from one of those, possibly.

Other way tho is, and this is done in a lab virtually, like other way - the camera is set up on tripod, using a ''B'' setting - shutter open. The actuation is thru sound usually and then the ''box of tricks'' fires a strobe/flash - with duration of around 1/10,000 sec. By adjusting the delay from trigger, the flash can be made to fire +/- a millisecond or so either way.

Thus - if bullet just ''stopped'' in front of a card, you could add another msec to allow it to progress a tad more before flash captures it.

Not so sure the hi intensity xenon discharge tubes can't manage a millionth of a second these days.

Key word "EG&G Model 531 microflash" sooo you win the U R right prize.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
500Mag that one is cool. Excellent!:hand10:

Ti.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts