Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on great reviews by many folks on this forum, and finally getting to hold one for myself, I picked up a no thumb safety M&P Shield 45 last Friday. Got a chance to take it to the range today, and I must admit that I'm totally impressed!

The recoil was very manageable, less than my XDs 4.0 45 (perceived recoil is an individual thing, so YMMV). And accuracy was *much* better than I expected - I shot it just as well as I do my 1911's, and for me that's saying something. I'm not a great shot by any means, but I haven't been able to shoot *any* other single stack polymer gun as well as I do the Shield. Reliability also was flawless. Granted, I only put a little over 100 rounds through it (mixture of 230 gr. Remington UMC and 230 gr. HST), so it has long way to go to completely prove itself. But nary a hiccup so far. Can't express how fantastic this little gun is!

I say all that to say, if you're on the fence about picking one of these up, I'd say go for it - especially with the rebate right now. I don't think you're going to find a better 45 at that price point!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You are correct sir in all aspects....I have had a few in my time...Rugers, Glocks and S&W's..the Shield 45 became my EDC after one range visit...As you stated, accurate, flawless, and the recoil is most minimal for a 45. They did an excellent job with this Shield....Can't wait for the new 2.0 9mm to be announced as I will also grab one of those.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I took next Tuesday off for the specific reason to get to the range during a slow time in order to shoot a coupe of their smaller .45 rentals........Glock 30, 30s. And then I saw the price of the shield .45 WITH night sights AND the rebate.
I finger-fudged the Shield, admittedly my first impression was extreme texturing on the grip and it felt like a small "2x4" in my hand. Full disclosure...I have a G23 and I really like the concept behind the Glocks but am still open-minded.

Ammo capacity is not an issue for me, if I can't take care of business with the rounds in a Shield and maybe an extra mag then there is a REAL problem on hand.

So, any folks with experience with the G23/G19 sized pew-pews AND a Shield in .45 would be greatly appreciated. I'm in a place now where I don't have to settle for something that's "not quite right" just to save $100+ by going with the Shield. But GD...it IS a fantastic deal...

Please, no manufacturer wars...that's not my intent

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, as the pricing on Shields drop even lower.

It's a good thing that I'm over my .45 ACP
carry phase.
(G36, XD-S.45 , Mod 2 45, ect)

Also, I have a relative interested in the Shield line.

One in 9mm, .40 or even the .45 would suit her needs well.

Reactions: mhl6493

·
Registered
752 Posts
If I did not already have a Shield40 NTS I would probably be getting the Shield45 especially with the rebate that is going on right now.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I think they are making way for the Shield 2.0 in a few months.

Reactions: mhl6493

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
If I were in the market for a diminutive 45acp, the shield would be at the top of the list. I prefer full sized pistols, and hawg legs if I were toting a wheel gun. That said, the Shield is a fine choice!

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
Just picked mine up today - not sure how soon I'll get to shoot it. That $75 rebate is already targeted for a new holster - doggone if the .45 Shield's trigger guard isn't just a bit too tall to fit the holster I have for the 9mm Shield!

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
If I did not already have a Shield40 NTS I would probably be getting the Shield45 especially with the rebate that is going on right now.
Sold my Shield 40 for $330, and purchased a Shield 45. The 45 feels better in hand, has the same capacity, and upgraded grip texture. I don't regrets getting rid of it one bit. The 40 offered little to no benefit over the 45 IMHO.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I wasn't impressed enough with the 9mm Shield to abandon my Kahr 9mm pistols. Now the 45 acp Shield is a different story. I picked one up and I am very happy with it. It shoots softly for it's size and is very accurate.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My first impression with the Shield, only from a fondling standpoint, was that the grip texturing was kinda aggressive. The 30/30s didn't fit my hand as well as the Shield did.....how's the hand after shooting ~50 rounds or so with that texturing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
My first impression with the Shield, only from a fondling standpoint, was that the grip texturing was kinda aggressive......how's the hand after shooting ~50 rounds or so with that texturing?
My wife has one and found it too aggressive for her, so I bought her a Hogue grip sleeve. She now loves it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts