1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
HUH? Pistol had attached light. Wife not in bed. And he shoots without turning on the light to be sure of his target, without knowing where the wife is? I just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Prime reason I keep a flashlight with my gun on the nightstand.
The officers said they found a handgun near the wife, with an attached flashlight and that it was on. It also says that he said he saw a shape. It's possible he did not illuminate his wife before raising his gun and firing.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
I will share my Dad almost shot me when I was a teenager, sneaking in the house after curfew. I didn't know it at the time. He told me years later.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens fairly often.

It also occurs to me (not recommending it, just noticing) that it would be an effective cover for murder. Want to get rid of the wife? Wait until she gets up in the middle of the night and "mistake her for an intruder." A couple like that would probably already be in separate bedrooms...

·
Super Moderator
17,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The officers said they found a handgun near the wife, with an attached flashlight and that it was on. It also says that he said he saw a shape. It's possible he did not illuminate his wife before raising his gun and firing.
Missed the light when I first read it. makes me a bit suspicious now.

·
Registered
38,120 Posts
Happened nearby across the canal from me. I can smell the fish from here.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
This doesn't pass the smell test. At best he is a reckless moron. At worst, he is a murderer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
a lot of possibilities of what could of gone down just hope the police investigation gets it right. What I have here may not work for everyone but I purchased battery operated LED lights with motion detetors (long time ago from costco). These are great even when I just come home very late and the light on the timer has gone off. Lights my way so I don't trip over everything in the dark while sneaking in.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Reactions: DZUS

·
Registered
38,120 Posts
The first thing I do when I wake up at night is check for my wife.
And if she is, try to sneak the girlfriend out without waking the wife!

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
My wife has call rotation. Sometimes she has to go in or comes home at odd hours. I get woken unexpectedly. Always check before assuming an intruder is present.

Basic firearms safety rules. 1). All firearms are loaded. 2). Never point the muzzle at anything you don’t intend to destroy. 3). Keep your finger off the trigger.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I agree this doesn't pass the smell test. I can offer a couple of possible scenarios based on things I have seen.

1) The husband is mostly blind without glasses, woke up to a sound, couldn't distinguish his wife because it can be very difficult to recognize things when your vision is impaired - even with flashlights.

2) The couple was "home-estranged" (separate bedrooms), the wife thought she could rid herself of a bad husband, but dutifully turned on her weapon light as she crept up on her husband to shoot him while he slept. Got caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

3) The husband used situation #2 to cover a homicide he may not have planned - a crime of opportunity. Or he simply may have been clever and planned it.

4) Really, really bad, or no training.

5) It was just a purely horrible mistake.

Take your choice.

We use secondary alarms - infrared motion detectors to guard the entrances to bedrooms. These devices are separate from the home alarm system. I have tried every trick I know to evade them. You simply cannot get around / past them. They screech with an audible / visual scream that will wake the dead. We also have a motion sensor LED light at the top of the stairs. Those aside, I'm pretty sure it would take a sophisticated intruder to get around the main alarm system. It has large area infrared motion detectors, cameras with infrared, and door / window security, plus audio glass break alarms.

Now all we need is a puppy.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
A family gets destroyed due to poor training and abysmal gun handling.
I feel sorry for the child left behind as they have lost both parents.
Not knocking training but it shouldn't take training to know not to shoot someone you can't see and ID friend or for. Especially if you occupy a house with other people or animals. It's a sad story but this man is an idiot. Not sure if training would help someone who can't use his brain.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Not knocking training but it shouldn't take training to know not to shoot someone you can't see and ID friend or for. Especially if you occupy a house with other people or animals. It's a sad story but this man is an idiot. Not sure if training would help someone who can't use his brain.
Obviously, this story seems very suspicious, but in reality, some panic while being groggy and sleepy. It's not hard to see how it could happen. But one has to plan and rehearse what they will do at o-dark-thirty.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts