Defensive Carry banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
My bet is it's a legitimate negligent discharge.

Know you target and what's behind it.

Manslaughter but, he needs to be there to raise the children. The children need prayers.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Not my job to make judgement, but he sure better be talking to a good lawyer.

Reactions: Jeanlouise

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I usually have my holstered Glock 17 on the carpet underneath the edge of the bed if both my wife and I are sleeping in the same bed and we have no overnight house guests. Sometime if I have a bad cold, etc. my wife will sleep in another bedroom as she doesn't want to get sick. When this happens or we have overnight guests the gun is in my unlocked master bedroom closet safe to eliminate the chance of an accidental shooting. I know when I do this we are "unprotected".

·
Registered
887 Posts
Whenever my son came to visit me, firearms safety became a real concern. I bought a gun safe with a quick keypad. I kept my firearm locked inside and used the full six digits (1 million combinations). I trained my son how to load, carry, shoot, clean, store and safely handle firearms.

When he came to live with me, it was the same issues all over again. I trusted him by then, as we'd gone over the firearms safety drills many times, but he'd sometimes come home late, after I was asleep. You get the picture.

I slept with my gun and just got into the habit of always calling his name when I heard him up late at night or early in the morning.

So sad to read about the guy and his wife and baby.

Question is: Was she Oscarized?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
If I heard something in the night, I sure as heck wouldn't blindly shoot at it.

If my husband isn't in bed, I'd assume it's him before I'd assume someone is sneaking around my house.

Besides, what pregnant woman ever got up in the middle of the night and walked around the house in the dark?

I don't believe his story, just like I didn't believe Scott Peterson's story.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Have a plan. all members of the household understand it, and use it when needed. This should have never happened.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Obviously, this story seems very suspicious, but in reality, some panic while being groggy and sleepy. It's not hard to see how it could happen. But one has to plan and rehearse what they will do at o-dark-thirty.
Being groggy and somewhat panicked is a given in such circumstances. I've been in such a situation a few times. I do have a plan and having a friendly "intruder" is part of that plan. I just couldn't point and shoot my gun at someone in the dark without an ID unless I'm actually being attacked, grappling, being bludgeoned or stabbed. It just goes way against the grain for me. I'm more than comfortable in the dark and only use a light at the last moment to ID friend or foe.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
38,081 Posts
I could certainly ID my wife at night. Our house is never "pitch black." Too many little glowing red, blue, and green lights all over the place.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This (his) story doesn't add up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I will share my Dad almost shot me when I was a teenager, sneaking in the house after curfew. I didn't know it at the time. He told me years later.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens fairly often.
I emphasized this to my sons as they were becoming teens. If you think to you want to sneak out at night, that's one thing. But do not ever try to sneak back in. Sleep on the deck, ring the doorbell, share the doghouse, something til the morning. Sneaking in would be the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Article I read just after it happened said the man heard noises, reached over and felt that his wife was still in bed. He grabbed his gun, saw what he thought was an intruder and shot. What he felt in bed that he thought was his wife was actually their large dog.

Doesn't excuse not identifying your target but he was "sure" his wife was in bed.

·
Premium Member
34,609 Posts
Prime reason I keep a flashlight with my gun on the nightstand.
From the article:

"A handgun with an attached light that was turned on was found next to her and another handgun was located on a dresser in the couple's bedroom, according to the report."

The guy apparently had the hardware, but the programming software was lacking.

·
Premium Member
34,609 Posts
Something similar happened here in Marion County some years. One of the local machers lit his wife up with the 12-guage he kept bedside. Fortunately for both of them, his aim was lacking and she survived.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Afraid of the dark.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts