Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting video that shows a potential victim prevails due to his great situational awareness, his quick response with a firearm, and moving off the "X".

It also shows the potential importance of having a high capacity pistol, as he runs dry in a hot hurry and struggles to effect a reload.

Some good lessons to be learned here.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
This is why I ALWAYS open carry my sidearm while operating any of my vehicles in my state. I position the shoulder belt between my sidearm's grip and my body so that the sidearm is easily and quickly accessible to me should I need it. Nothing in the way and the gun nicely positioned so that my right hand can pull it and get it into action.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Bravo!

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Two other things that weren't pointed out. when our GG is reloading one of the BG's takes cover behind a parked car and then decides to run. Our GG has not seen any of this and walks around the cover car without paying any attn to the parked car. Had the BG still been hiding there our GG could have been in trouble! The other thing I see is movement in the back seat of the BG's car. Someone is still moving around in there.

Neither turned out to be a problem, but .... If you are using this as a teaching tool, these are things that need to be looked at. DR

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Two other things that weren't pointed out. when our GG is reloading one of the BG's takes cover behind a parked car and then decides to run. Our GG has not seen any of this and walks around the cover car without paying any attn to the parked car. Had the BG still been hiding there our GG could have been in trouble! The other thing I see is movement in the back seat of the BG's car. Someone is still moving around in there.

Neither turned out to be a problem, but .... If you are using this as a teaching tool, these are things that need to be looked at. DR
Yes, I don't see a big reason why the GG is walking up to the now abandoned car taking about 10 steps without a functioning firearm. He should have maintained cover.

The way the car he was going to took off is not, I think, to abandon him (he doesn't call out to them) but they're going after the other two guys who I think had sustained GS wounds. Had they intended to abandon him, a fair assumption on the face of it, they'd have zoomed off when shots were first fired.

ETA: OK, narrator says they were cops.

Good job on dropping the guy getting out.

Notice they did a car jacking with three bad guys, assume all three were armed, maybe just two. That's a targeted crime not an incidental one. If they weren't looking for that particular car to have stripped, they were looking for a getaway car on the way to a 'job'.

Good post OP. Pretty good breakdown by the narrator. I see about 4-5 errors on the part of the GG. Reload in the backpack, missing the guy who had been hidden behind the other white car, walking up to the car which was now abandoned (he didn't know that), walking 10 steps with a firearm that was not ready to fire, and leaving cover.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had 4 attempts in NYC over 30 yrs in business driving nice cars like Porshes. When I saw them coming, which was all 4 times, I was able to stop 2 just by having my gun out. The other 2 had the ump on me, and I had no weapon r place to go.
I was parked with the motor shut off both times, Do not sit in your car listening to the radio, it is a shame but that's what it has come to in big cities. Since I have mover to FL 20 yrs ago, I have been lucky, so far so good,
One big thing is down here half the folks driving are armed, so it's not a great idea to carjack as it was in NY. Also the new keys make it impossible to take the car without the key, which lends itslf to more car jacking rather than theft.
My first experience were 2 guys who had just robbed a liquor store and put a gun to the window while I was waiting in my new car for my bud to come out of his Dads place on 49th and Lex. I was distracted listening to music and never saw the guy till the gun tapped against the window. I did talk my way out of losing the car, because they needed to get out of there fast, and I had time to develop a rapore with the one guy, on the way uptown. He actually called me a few days later, long story.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Of course it all could have been avoided by staying the heck out of a third world country but, then again that would spoil the supposed point right?
Not to be snarky but one might ask why anyone would stay in a place that is less safe than another just in the USA. Also, again not to split hairs, but Brazil is not listed among third-world countries in 2016. I think you could argue a criterion of lawlessness and corruption should be a qualifier.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Not to be snarky but one might ask why anyone would stay in a place that is less safe than another just in the USA. Also, again not to split hairs, but Brazil is not listed among third-world countries in 2016. I think you could argue a criterion of lawlessness and corruption should be a qualifier.
Very true.

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree with the synopsis of a high cap
gun making or breaking the deal here.

Actually, it reinforces what I have known for many years.....when the intended victim begins to create a hostile work environment for the criminal, they tend to fall back on an exit strategy pretty quick, because there ain't no money in dying.

Hitting your mark tends to convince others in the group that the profit/loss margin is too great to pursue.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course it all could have been avoided by staying the heck out of a gang retaliation shooting in a third world country but, then again that would spoil the supposed point right?
"spoil the supposed point"?

There are many good defensive lessons to be taken away from this event, regardless of the location or the circumstances.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree with the synopsis of a high cap
gun making or breaking the deal here.

Actually, it reinforces what I have known for many years.....when the intended victim begins to create a hostile work environment for the criminal, they tend to fall back on an exit strategy pretty quick, because there ain't no money in dying.

Hitting your mark tends to convince others in the group that the profit/loss margin is too great to pursue.
No synopsis states that a higher capacity pistol makes nor breaks the end result in this case. However, there is no question that with the number of perps involved here and the difficulty of making the reload - it was quite possible that a higher capacity pistol could have saved this GG's life. A six-shot pocket .380 may have done the job. Or not.

The heart of the lesson is that many, though not all, perps can be quickly dissuaded by an unexpectedly swift, strong, and capable armed response to the threat they present! And that good situational awareness enabled such a response.

In spite of making a number of major tactical mistakes, the GG's situational awareness and fast, capable armed response is what made the difference in this particular case.

It's quite unlikely that many of us will ever be in such a situation (given relatively good law and order prevailing where we live and work), but the lessons learned by studying it may be invaluable for some, especially if a sudden break down of law and order were to occur where any of us just happen to be.

Reactions: OD* and G-man*

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
I was referring to your commentary of the "potential importance" of having a high cap pistol.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I was simply pointing out the other side of the equation, which is better my able to deploy whatever you have effectively.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
The heart of the lesson is that many, though not all, perps can be quickly dissuaded by an unexpectedly swift, strong, and capable armed response to the threat they present! And that good situational awareness enabled such a response.
Strongly agree.

In spite of making a number of major tactical mistakes, the GG's situational awareness and fast, capable armed response is what made the difference in this particular case.

It's quite unlikely that many of us will ever be in such a situation (given relatively good law and order prevailing where we live and work), but the lessons learned by studying it may be invaluable for some, especially if a sudden break down of law and order were to occur where any of us just happen to be.
Yet we see that the BGs did not immediately drive off here but some tried to get out of the car, seeing, one presumes, the GG had a firearm.

It may be that the tactical response of carjackers varies with their experience, their entitlement and their goal.

Carjackers who have done it before and have faced return fire might have enough forethought to wear body armor, especially in Brazil.

CJs who live in a relatively lawless city have probably experienced return fire are are emboldened

CJs who need the car for a future crime as a get-away car are probably more determined to win

CJs, knowing that they sometimes pick an armed victim probably have superior numbers who are armed

Just a smattering to show it's probably highly variable, which is why I would say that if you are a cop in Brazil you should be always wearing armor, always have a reload on your belt, always stay behind cover and not go walking after the BG (off duty) with no backup.

As you said lots of lessons to be seen here.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would be interested to find out how many rounds he had. Can they tell by the muzzle flashes?

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
If a .45 you have 6+1, 7+1. That's my guess. It would be a bit unusual to have full motion surveillance video so there may be frames dropped.

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
I thought he fired 5 times. I could be wrong.
Looking at it again, I counted 4 muzzle flashes, but he was momentarily obscured behind the pole, so he could have fired a time or two more.

I also noticed movement from a passenger in the back of the black car as he walked by it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts