Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Mr. Colion Noir had some interesting thoughts on dealing with homeless people and panhandlers while you are armed which is worth posting for discussion.

Anyone else have any tips or "close encounters?"

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Good video. I don't have any tips. There are some convenience stores in my area that I don't stop at anymore because there is always somebody in the parking lot trying to bum gas money. That seems to be the favorite ploy around here followed by standing at interstate exits with a homeless, hungry, vet sign.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So, my advice for panhandlers? Be AWARE. See them when they are still far enough away. Be firm about saying, "NO!" If they persist, say "NO!" a 2nd time. If they still persist or get aggressive but are still 7-10 yds. away, hand to butt of gun but don't draw. A firm, stern warning of your willingness to protect yourself. I find that usually does the trick. Don't enter your car until said person is 25 yards away. If the situation warrants it, call the cops while maintaining visual from inside your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I treat homeless no different than anybody else that I pass on the street.

If anybody that I don't know approaches me, I get a little adrenaline and I'm coming up with a plan. That's all.

Whether I'm providing a polite response, or de-escalating an irrational confrontation, it's all still a conversation with me creating space as needed.

Until a lethal threat is presented, I'm adapting to the situation. If a lethal threat (and the ability to execute) is presented, I'm overcoming it.

{edit}

I like Colion a lot. One needs to bear in mind his sense of humor and that many of his videos were made prior to joining forces with the NRA. His stuff is not instructional video. It is humorous commentary.

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
Homeboy needs to relax. If you are going to think about shooting everyone that approaches you, I would suggest valium.

·
Registered
433 Posts
situational awareness. While his ideas may be thought provoking he never mentioned situational awareness, you need to be aware of your surroundings and who is around you. you should know someone is within 7-10 yards of you. these folks are not ninjas they make noise, they have shadows, if your somewhere where these people can sneak up on you, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
This guy's an imbecile or a very poor comedian. He cant tell the difference from a con and a homeless person. I spent a lot of time in Manhattan for years servicing everywhere from the Bronx to Spanish Harlem and the Bowery. Most truly homeless people are happy to be left alone and while they can be a bit of a pest I have never heard of a homeless person physically attacking anyone, not saying it couldn't happen. The likely need to present deadly force to a homeless person is virtually zero, they may be verbally abusive when drunk or high but a few $$ or even a reprimand will quickly dispatch even the most persistent. For me, I don't mind giving a few dollars to them. Been close to bankrupt and lost my own home once, if it hadnt been for some good friends don't know I would have stayed off the street. Now there are street thugs in every city but don't think for a second they are homeless. Simple test. Offer to go into a deli or restaurant with them and buy them something basic to eat, or check the quality of their footwear. If they're not hungry they're probably not homeless.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
There are a lot of homeless people that as crazy as this sounds would rather stay that way. They will come into a shelter if the weather really drives them in but leave as soon as they can. Not all by a long shot but a lot more than you would think.

Homeless folks really arent very dangerous. They want to be left alone on whatever spot they have picked to live at.

Street thugs and gang thugs and tweekers are much more dangerous than the average homeless person.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
As far as MCN, mixed feelings about him personally, but that's another discussion for another day.

As far as what he says in here, I generally agree with him. Most homeless are a)mentally ill b)drunk/high or c)both. A cop told me once that the best way to tell if a panhandler is actually a street person is to look at their hands. If they are really living on the streets their hands will be obviously rough looking. I personally never give money to panhandlers ever. Some years ago, there was a guy who I would see frequently around on the streets near where I lived, he never asked me for money a single time. In hindsight, I kind of wonder what his story was, but in reality I know he's almost certainly dead.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I like MCN but I didn't find this particular video informative at all.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and San Francisco define as "aggressive", conduct that causes a reasonable person to fear for their safety, blocking a solicitee's path or persisting in demanding money or an item of value after the solicitee has rebuffed efforts by words or conduct.

Courts have ruled that such laws don't violate civil rights of panhandlers.

"It's important to provide lasting change rather than change that lasts a day." I'm not trying to bleed your heart. That's the quote that is on my lips when destitution finds my eye.

As a tip, if threatened, yell that "It's illegal to panhandle, here!!" Then move and groove.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Oh how great it would be if everyone was perfect...... Or would it?? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Virtually everyone that fronts the NRA are tools. Colin is a breath of fresh air to me.

Reactions: Ksgunner

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
He is speaking the truth, it seems that some of us do not like what he is saying so we start with name calling, rather than solutions to the situation. Sometimes stepping out of our comfort zones is a good thing, it is what will keep us behind the curve. Homeless or not I deal with everyone the same. The problem is, most of the time, the homeless are the ones that will get in your space. Which in itself, presents a threat to some extent.

Reactions: ep1953 and ccw9mm

·
Banned
12,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
So, my advice for panhandlers? Be AWARE. See them when they are still far enough away. Be firm about saying, "NO!" If they persist, say "NO!" a 2nd time. If they still persist or get aggressive but are still 7-10 yds. away, hand to butt of gun but don't draw. A firm, stern warning of your willingness to protect yourself. I find that usually does the trick. Don't enter your car until said person is 25 yards away. If the situation warrants it, call the cops while maintaining visual from inside your vehicle.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts