Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
No better fishing food then viennas on saltines. Grew up on that and beanie weanies.

Only potted meat story I can tell is from a deep sea fishing trip a bunch of us from work took. Seas were rough and many were sick from the drinking. One tough bird was proud to say "I ain't throwed up yet". so "wino" took a can of potted meat into his mouth and walked up to tough guy and proceeded to fake vomit with the potted meat coming out. Needless to say, tough guy ain't so tough anymore.

·
Registered
33,970 Posts
Isn't it similar to Neese's liver pudding? 25 or 30 years ago, we would fry slices of liver pudding and make a sandwich.
Similar. Livermush is made with cornmeal, liver pudding with cornmeal and rice. Liver pudding may be "chunkier" although I haven't had it in years. I do remember someone returning a package of Neese's sausage to the store. It had the end of a finger in it.

·
Super Moderator
18,259 Posts
Similar. Livermush is made with cornmeal, liver pudding with cornmeal and rice. Liver pudding may be "chunkier" although I haven't had it in years. I do remember someone returning a package of Neese's sausage to the store. It had the end of a finger in it.
https://neesesausage.com/

You sure it wasn't in their souse?

Used to love souse as a kid. Haven't seen it in Texas since then.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
33,970 Posts
https://neesesausage.com/

You sure it wasn't in their souse?

Used to love souse as a kid. Haven't seen it in Texas since then.
It wouldn't have been souse (didn't carry that), but I remember the husband bringing it back and showing it to the store owner. The poor guy's wife freaked when she found it.

The resolution? Took the "fingered" package back, gave the husband two fresh packages, returned the fingered package to the vendor for refund/replacement. All the campers were happy and no lawyers involved. Such were the good ole days.

·
Registered
33,970 Posts
Here's a paragraph from a story I wrote, essentially a comparison of what is now called camping versus what two 10-year-old baby boomers loaded up with WWII surplus gear considered camping. This paragraph concerns Vienna sausages.

Of course there were the mess kits, the stamped-out aluminum contraption that converted into a frying pan and a divided plate, each kit containing a fork, a spoon, and a knife so dull it refused to cut warm butter. We found the mess kits particularly useful for serving up Vienna sausage spaghetti. That’s one thing about Vienna sausages; you can whip up all sorts of meals using a little imagination. They go great with anything, as long as they don’t give you food poisoning. One well-done (charred) wiener can bring an adult to his knees, but that’s generally not the best position for a full recovery. It’s kind of hit and miss with the sausages, but we finally learned to save the ones in the puffed-up cans for catfish bait. Ronnie and I never used hooks; we just tossed a handful of sausages into the water and waited for the catfish to sicken and float to the top, then scooped them out with the aluminum frying pans with the folding handles. Dinner was served! Well, as soon as we could hack off a chunk of butter with the mess kit knife, it was.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
They’re on the list of “Stuff I will eat in order to survive”...
That right there.
As a kid, I ate vienna sausage, hotdogs, bologna - crap food. I've not eaten any of that since about 1987.
Would I eat it, yea; but, only if I had to. I would rather avoid organ meat, high fat, sodium.
However, if came down to it, no other "decent" food options, vienna sausage > sushi. I aint eating raw meat.
High in fat processed organ meat preferred over potential for getting parasite (the potential for parasite may be extremely low, like winning lottery, its still a nope).

·
Registered
33,970 Posts
I have eaten sushi but don't make a habit of it. I see it more of a macho thing, like downing shots of that nasty Jägermeister.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
90 Posts
As a kid my Dad would buy vienna sausages and potted meat.I thought they were both good, especially with saltine crackers until one day I made the mistake of reading the label and found out what they were made of.Haven't eaten either since.I do still like a good fried spam and cheese sandwich on a burger bun.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Smoke flavor Vienna sausage, warmed in the microwave, and pork and beans, good eating. Have a ice cold Pepsi with that and then a Hershey chocolate bar for dessert. Yum, yum. After a while the musical entertainment will begin. Ah, the simple pleasures.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Some people live a sheltered life.

Vienna sausages are pretty tasteless except for the salt they're packed in. They're better used as catfish bait in a survival situation. The catfish don't mind them being a little green. Deviled ham is great on a Ritz cracker.
I second the Deviled Ham!!!

·
Registered
33,970 Posts
As a kid my Dad would buy vienna sausages and potted meat.I thought they were both good, especially with saltine crackers until one day I made the mistake of reading the label and found out what they were made of.Haven't eaten either since.
That's what you get for learning to read.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Alright...I try to be humble, but this one time...ya'll can just step back and let an expert handle this. My Scottish Grams, God rest her soul, would be proud.

1.) Potted meat, thinly spread on a slice of bread, a slice of your favorite cheese if you have it and a little bit of mustard....simple.

2.) Now to vienna snausages...avoid the cheap ones with chicken IF possible. If it's only beef and pork the consistency is much better. Try to find:
a. the jalapeno ones aren't bad.
b. the BBQ ones are the best...now read S L O W L Y and careful like.

Start a fire, get some coals, pop the top on the can of BBQ snaussers, just so the key comes up. now, rake some good coals out around the can..
once you see the saucey sauce start a bubblin thru the hole in the top of the can...
drip a little water on the top of the can (up to the rim), ...
now finish your fireside coffee.
Once the water dries up on the lid. pull the can outta the fire by putting a stick thru the ring on the lid. sit aside...
get some bread (I like toast) and make the second cup of coffee. (some prefer crackers)
Now pop the top on the snaussers and enjoy....
You are a master when you can get them outta the can without breaking them, start with the middle one.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I went to the store today, and on my list was spam, all they had left was the 25% less sodium version. I was dismayed, I guess I'm gonna have to put salt on it to bring it back up to par.

This truly is the end of days.

·
Registered
33,970 Posts
The only Vienna sausages left on the local shelf is a foreign brand. No one is buying them since there is no TP left.

Reactions: viney266 and OD*

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm now having a craving for fried Spam, diced, stirred into Velveeta Shells & Cheese.
I might make it home today. If not, tomorrow evening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 89 Posts