Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A well earned medal.

Vietnam Vet Awarded Medal of Honor for Heroic Helicopter Rescue

President Barack Obama awarded America's highest military honor for valor today to a U.S. Army veteran for risking his life to save the lives of 44 fellow American soldiers a half century ago on a Vietnamese battlefield.

During a Medal of Honor ceremony at the White House, Obama told the story of retired Lt. Col. Charles Kettles, who was serving as a flight commander assigned to 176th Aviation Company (Airmobile) (Light), 14th Combat Aviation Battalion, Americal Division, when a battalion-sized enemy force ambushed an outnumbered element of 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, near Duc Pho.

Kettles, then a major, led a platoon of UH-1D Huey helicopters again and again into intense enemy fire to help his fellow soldiers.
Vietnam Vet Awarded Medal of Honor for Heroic Helicopter Rescue | Military.com

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
I heard part of the broadcast on the radio this morning. Incredible story and a medal well earned!

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Watched it............a true HERO.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I'm for every Vietnam vet getting honor, God bless them for their service !!

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
"..., so the Medal is not mine. It's theirs."

Wow. No wonder his men followed him into hell an back.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My brother was crew chief/door-gunner on a Huey gunship in the Mekong Delta. I did not expect him to come back alive. That was the way it was back then for the Air Cav.
After listening to this mans story as described in the MOH ceremony I was amazed at how incredibly brave and fortunate he was. Certainly deserving of his great honor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts