Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is a timeline of events that records my dealings and interactions with Arlington County Circuit Court in an effort to obtain my CHP. Hopefully this will give other NoVa'ians some insight into the process and what to expect. I'm also happy to answer any questions that may arise.

12/12/2016 -
I hand delivered my application to the clerks office.
I had to get it notarized - there was some admin on one of a different floor that did it for me for $5.
Took the notarized app to the clerk and she took it from me.
She also copied my VA Drivers license which I thought was weird, because its not apart of the application package requirements.

1/26/2017 -
After waiting 44 Days 23 Hours and 59 minutes I walked to the clerks office and nicely remind her of the law/regulations on issuance
She reminds me that it hasn't been 45 days yet.
I remind her that it has been 45 days.
She then instructs me that she sent the stuff upstairs to the "CHP Gods" two days before on 1-24-2016 to mail out the temps and I should have it soon.
She also instructed me that I could go down to the 5th floor and check on the status of my background check to make sure nothing is holding it up.
I went downstairs to check and the secretary stated the lady that could assist me was not there and I would have to come back tomorrow.

1/26/2017 -
After work I checked the mail and low and behold the "CHP Gods" delivered something. It was the temp permit. So true to form I received something in 45 days.

FWIW - I thought she would give me the temp right there in the office but I guess not.

But who would be satisfied with a 90 day permit when you can have a 5 year one.

2/7/2017 -
I didn't make it back to the office until now to talk to the lady. So I ask the secretary for this lady. The lady comes out and greets me. I then instruct her that I would like to check the status of my background check and make sure nothing is holding me up or I don't need to furnish anything. She says ok. She makes a copy of my receipt that I received on 12/12/2016 from the clerk and says she will send it right up to be processed. As long as my background comes back clean she will then send it to be signed by the judge and I will have it.

She then hands me back my receipt, even folded it up how I had it, and takes the new copy and walks with me to the elevator. She hit the up button for herself and the down button for me (Nice Lady) and my guess is she was taking it to be processed. Now I'm confused as to why it took 3 visits to the courthouse to do this. When they sent the temps it probably took the same LOE that its taking her to get it processed. Why the double work and waste of the tax payers dollars. Government waste maybe.

Another puzzling piece is this. Wouldn't it make sense that they're running the background checks before they issue the temps too? In essence you could be handing over a convicted felon, or mentally disturbed individual a temp permit that is signed and certified by the clerk of the court. I'm pretty sure in liberal Arlington they're running those checks before sending the temp. Doesn't it take seconds for most people to runa background check in the national database? Like similar to buying a gun.

I'll wait to post this until after they send out my permit lol. I don't want them to "lose my paperwork" this time in case somebody int he office is browsing the forums when they should be processing apps.

2/17/2017 -
The same signed and stamped envelope with my hand writing that I gave them when I sent the application was in my mailbox. So it's been processed. I also have the 5 year permit in hand now. Thanks to the "CHP God fairy's " and my persistence.

I'm sure this is just in Northern Virginia but I wanted to add a updated timeline to the online community since there others were years old and as I sat and waited I kept browsing for more so hopefully this helps others in my predicament.

P.S. When visiting the Arlington County CourtHouse make sure to take a couple quarters with you. The kind Sheriffs will let you know that you need to lock your cell phone in your car or in the Detention Center's building lockers (cost is a quarter) before entering the Court House.

A total of 67 days to receive the full 5 year permit. With 22 of the days I was holding a temp permit (just a certified copy of the application)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think part of the problem IS Northern Virginia, but part of it is just urban Circuit Court Clerks. They're elected, for a pretty long term (6 years?). The urban Clerks rely on the Party Faithful, the Party Machine and party line voters to keep their jobs. They seem to serve the courthouse officials and not the public.

My rural Clerk, and most rural Clerks offices, seem to realize that serving citizens is the most effective way to keep their positions. They're closer to the public: they're seen at rec league and school sports, participate in local organizations and attend local churches. I often run into mine at the barber even though he's mostly bald. The rural Clerks have to practice "retail politics."

I've dealt with quite a few Clerks offices in Virginia and the urban ones are generally busiest and also the least efficient. A good example is how long it took your application to leave the first employee's desk.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
In Idaho my permit took less than 10 min to get the temp, and about two weeks for the actual wallet card to show up in the mail. People here in NoVA keep commenting about how backwards and behind the times Idaho is. I just smile and let them live in their ignorance or they'll all move to Idaho and ruin it like they've done in OR, WA, CO, and it seems VA too.

Reactions: _1

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
In Idaho my permit took less than 10 min to get the temp, and about two weeks for the actual wallet card to show up in the mail. People here in NoVA keep commenting about how backwards and behind the times Idaho is. I just smile and let them live in their ignorance or they'll all move to Idaho and ruin it like they've done in OR, WA, CO, and it seems VA too.
You're right about that. I am a native and grew up in the city of Falls Church. Pretty much the entire NoVa area has been heavily polluted with out-ot-state thought and it's turned this once proud Southern state into essentially two separate states. You have Northern Virginia and then you have the rest of Virginia.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I was the second person to be issued a CHP in Arlington County when the state went "shall issue" on July 1, 1995. The last time I got a renewal, 2012, it took 23 days, but I live in Prince William County now.

Reactions: _1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts