Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to let everyone know that my wife and I applied for our CHP at the Virginia Beach Clerk of the Court office on Friday, September 30 at 4pm.

Despite the hurricane trashing and flooding our area, we received our permits in the mail yesterday, October 12, meaning they took only 12 days, including mail transit time, to get them to us.

It was a nice surprise, because they are allowed up to 45 days, and the clerk at the office told us it would take 4-6 weeks.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I wanted to let everyone know that my wife and I applied for our CHP at the Virginia Beach Clerk of the Court office on Friday, September 30 at 4pm.

Despite the hurricane trashing and flooding our area, we received our permits in the mail yesterday, October 12, meaning they took only 12 days, including mail transit time, to get them to us.

It was a nice surprise, because they are allowed up to 45 days, and the clerk at the office told us it would take 4-6 weeks.
Pretty good. Mines took about 2-3 months 4.5 years ago. I just wish they'd give out real cards and not a sheet of printing paper.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts

Congratulations! Sort of feels good doesn't?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty good. Mines took about 2-3 months 4.5 years ago. I just wish they'd give out real cards and not a sheet of printing paper.

Yeah, we were like "***? This little piece of paper the size of a business card is supposed to last 5 years?"

I wonder if there is any law against getting it laminated?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most people, including myself, laminate theirs.
Was the first thing I did with mine, before putting it in my wallet. BTW, Hanover County turned mine around in two weeks nearly five years ago.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
One thing I used to wonder (also Va), is if they'd accept a photo of it in your iPhone (say if you forgot your paper copy).

But truth is, almost no VaSP will ever ask you to see it because it pops up in their VCIN screen when they run your plate.

I think it's a small fine if you are carrying when legally stopped and don't have it on you (like $25). But, welcome to DCDC and to the CHP holders!

·
Registered
123 Posts
One thing I used to wonder (also Va), is if they'd accept a photo of it in your iPhone (say if you forgot your paper copy).

But truth is, almost no VaSP will ever ask you to see it because it pops up in their VCIN screen when they run your plate.

I think it's a small fine if you are carrying when legally stopped and don't have it on you (like $25). But, welcome to DCDC and to the CHP holders!
A little-noticed quirk of VA law on this is that although the first offense of illegal CCW is a misdemeanor, a second offense, even decades later, is a felony. If you have an illegal CCW conviction on your record, you can get a permit after a few years, but if you get caught violating the terms of the license, e.g. having a drink in a bar while carrying, you'll be charged with a felony, while the guy carrying across the table from you with no prior will be looking at a misdemeanor.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Good to know! I (relatively) recently moved to VA from FL and getting my VA permit (and switching FL to non resident) is still on my to do list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
A little-noticed quirk of VA law on this is that although the first offense of illegal CCW is a misdemeanor, a second offense, even decades later, is a felony. If you have an illegal CCW conviction on your record, you can get a permit after a few years, but if you get caught violating the terms of the license, e.g. having a drink in a bar while carrying, you'll be charged with a felony, while the guy carrying across the table from you with no prior will be looking at a misdemeanor.
Huh? Drinking while carrying isn't illegal. Only drinking while concealing. You need to be more specific when quoting laws.

Virginia is an open carry state and you're allowed to drink while openly carrying.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Huh? Drinking while carrying isn't illegal. Only drinking while concealing. You need to be more specific when quoting laws.

Virginia is an open carry state and you're allowed to drink while openly carrying.
The entire post was in the context of CCW permits. But, nitpicky point taken.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts