Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be visiting Maggie Valley, NC for a few days and am sure to get my exercise locking up the pistols every time we go onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mountains National Forest, Cherokee, Etc.

Last trip was to Boston.

Will someone PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEEE tell me how to convince my wife to visit places that are more CCW friendly? :twak:

All kidding aside I am really looking forward to the mountains.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You may want to check a map but when my wife and I went up to Cherokee and
Gaitlinburg, I purposefully went hwy 19 (through Maggie Valley) because it isn't part of the Smokey Mountain NP; or so I thought.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Hey! See if GHOST TOWN IN THE SKY is still operational? I went there a couple of times as a kid and they had one of those swing rides that had half it's arc over about a 500 foot cliff! Awesome.

BTW, your ccw permit is good inside the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and most everywhere else you mentioned I think. Believe it or not Obama signed the bill in which those allowances were a "rider." When I go to NC I carry durn near everywhere EXCEPT into a movie theater!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I think the bill that Obama signed which included the National Park carry provision, doesn't go into effect till Feb 2010.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be coming in from the East so no worry about hitting the park on the way there and a quick google search shows hdawson is correct. Not allowed until Feb 2010.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Hey! See if GHOST TOWN IN THE SKY is still operational? I went there a couple of times as a kid and they had one of those swing rides that had half it's arc over about a 500 foot cliff! Awesome.

BTW, your ccw permit is good inside the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and most everywhere else you mentioned I think. Believe it or not Obama signed the bill in which those allowances were a "rider." When I go to NC I carry durn near everywhere EXCEPT into a movie theater!
While it was signed into law. It doesn't take affect until Feb. 22, 2010.

·
Registered
651 Posts

They re-opened last year if I remember. Lots of chapter 11 problems now.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Ummmmm

I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I think the bill that Obama signed which included the National Park carry provision, doesn't go into effect till Feb 2010.
No, I think it merely restored a right given by GW Bush prior and was in effect from the moment of signature. But somebody should check. I could be wrong and I ain't traveling!

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
No, I think it merely restored a right given by GW Bush prior and was in effect from the moment of signature. But somebody should check. I could be wrong and I ain't traveling!
You are wrong. It's not effective until Feb 2010. :wave:

·
Registered
164 Posts
It actually IS NOt effective until Feb 2010

Hi ExSoldier,

I was recently in the Manassas National Battlefield Park and they have a notice posted in the Visitor Center warning us not to carry until the specific date the new law goes into effect in Feb 2010.

Sorry to bring bad news...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Going to be visiting Maggie Valley, NC for a few days and am sure to get my exercise locking up the pistols every time we go onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mountains National Forest, Cherokee, Etc.
You should be good to go in Cherokee. Someone from another board called the Police Chief and he gave them the OK. They can make up some of their own laws since they are a separate "Nation" so to speak. Call him if you need to verify.

If you are in Waynesville around lunch, try The Patio. It's off main, around the corner from the kitchen store. Butts on the Creek in Maggie has some good BBQ. Head out to Cataloochee for the elk. Try getting there around in the evening, before dark. I hear the rut is starting.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should be good to go in Cherokee. Someone from another board called the Police Chief and he gave them the OK. They can make up some of their own laws since they are a separate "Nation" so to speak. Call him if you need to verify.

If you are in Waynesville around lunch, try The Patio. It's off main, around the corner from the kitchen store. Butts on the Creek in Maggie has some good BBQ. Head out to Cataloochee for the elk. Try getting there around in the evening, before dark. I hear the rut is starting.
Thanks for the heads up & I will call him today. Last time I saw Elk was in Banff, AB in the Canadian Rockies and would love to see some again.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I did call the Police on the reservation and they said they do recognize NC CCW permits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts