·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Expanded concealed-carry gun bill nearing Senate vote | The Columbus Dispatch

"Majority Republicans in the Senate are expected to join their House colleagues in approving legislation to potentially expand where concealed-carry permit holders can pack their guns, including on college campuses."
Ohio seems to have some new found support for gun rights. I would guess that parts of the bill may become law but campus carry will still be a tough sell and probably won't pass.

In MO, we got everything we asked for including Constitutional Carry but couldn't make campus carry fly. It did pass in TX though so I suppose there is a chance in Ohio, don't know.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Ohio Senate passed an amended version of this bill which significantly improved it. The bill now has to go back to the House so the House can vote to concur with the Senate amendments. All Ohioans should contact their state representative this morning to urge a "yes" vote. Today's House session starts at noon, so call this morning.

The Ohio House of Representatives

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I saw where a version of this passed, but haven't seen the actual text of what was passed by the state house and senate.

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Expanded concealed-carry gun bill nearing Senate vote | The Columbus Dispatch

"Majority Republicans in the Senate are expected to join their House colleagues in approving legislation to potentially expand where concealed-carry permit holders can pack their guns, including on college campuses."
I just noticed the bill passed today and includes campus carry and carry at day care centers. I said didn't think campus carry would make it but I was wrong. :embarassed:

It now goes to Gov. John Kasich's desk for his signature.
Congratulations Ohio! :danceban:

Ohio lawmakers approve concealed carry at colleges, day cares | Fox News

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Ohio seems to have some new found support for gun rights. I would guess that parts of the bill may become law but campus carry will still be a tough sell and probably won't pass.

In MO, we got everything we asked for including Constitutional Carry but couldn't make campus carry fly. It did pass in TX though so I suppose there is a chance in Ohio, don't know.
It's legal to carry on campus in Colo I believe, and it is here.

The only exception here was ... in the 6 Bd of Regent schools they gave them a 4 yr exemption if they applied for it , where carrying past the special sign for it was a crime. Applied ONLY to buildings ... so they could put security in place during that time (which they didn't do). Carry past any other sign is not a crime here..... they can only ask you to leave. That 4 yr point ends Jan 1, 2017.... so now they (Bd of Regent schools) are pushing for a law against carrying on campus. But, all of the other Universities, Colleges, and Community colleges allow campus carry by students.

I've carried on 3 of those 6 campuses, and they can't say squat if on property ... and been in classrooms on non-posted buildings. Nothing they could really do. Nothing bad has ever happened on any campus that allows carry .... and we have Constitutional Carry.

The Bd of Regent schools ... could expel a student for carrying on campus, but not do much to anyone who was not a student. I wasn't a student, I was there for training class.

So...... they are trying to push it, and still trying to ban campus carry .... except our Governor told them them flat out .... even if they pass it , he will never sign a bill to ban campus carry... period.

Maybe, you need some legislatures that will pass it, and a Governor that will sign it, and not be initimdated about it by the liberal loud mouths.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The bill I was excited about is not the one that actually passed. The Ohio Senate gave the House a decent bill but the House Republicans watered it down before passing. What wimps.

The good:

1. Active military can carry as if they have an Ohio CHL. They will have to carry military ID and proof of training to be legal.
2. Licensees will be allowed to actually park on school property and enter the school building as long as their handgun is left in their locked cars. So parents and school employees can actually be armed driving to/from school.
3. Bill clarifies that carry on private aircraft is not illegal.
4. Day cares are no longer state mandated no carry zones.

The bad:
1. Carry on college and university campuses is legal only if the board of trustees adopts a policy allowing it. I will be amazed if even one college or university adopts such a policy.
2. So now day cares are not state mandated no carry zones but they can, as private property owners, still post "no guns" signs. In all other private property, ignoring a "no guns" sign is Criminal Trespassing, a fourth degree misdemeanor. The House made ignoring a day care sign Aggravated Trespassing, a first degree misdemeanor.

The bad and the dumb:

The Senate bill allowed carry in any government building which did not have a security guard and other security devices at the main entrance. The House watered that down to allow carry in government buildings only if the local government having control of that building allows it. I suppose there may be a rural township somewhere in Ohio that may allow carry in its buildings but 99% will not allow it.

What makes this really dumb is it passes back to the cities some ability to regulate carry. We needed two Ohio Supreme Court cases to get state preemption declared constitutional and now the Ohio General Assembly is passing back to the cities some power to regulate carry?

The bill also says carry in the non-secured areas of airport passenger terminals is legal but all the ones I am aware of are owned by local governments. Does anyone actually believe Cleveland and Akron are going to allow carry in their airport terminals?

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bill I was excited about is not the one that actually passed. The Ohio Senate gave the House a decent bill but the House Republicans watered it down before passing. What wimps.

The good:

1. Active military can carry as if they have an Ohio CHL. They will have to carry military ID and proof of training to be legal.
2. Licensees will be allowed to actually park on school property and enter the school building as long as their handgun is left in their locked cars. So parents and school employees can actually be armed driving to/from school.
3. Bill clarifies that carry on private aircraft is not illegal.
4. Day cares are no longer state mandated no carry zones.

The bad:
1. Carry on college and university campuses is legal only if the board of trustees adopts a policy allowing it. I will be amazed if even one college or university adopts such a policy.
2. So now day cares are not state mandated no carry zones but they can, as private property owners, still post "no guns" signs. In all other private property, ignoring a "no guns" sign is Criminal Trespassing, a fourth degree misdemeanor. The House made ignoring a day care sign Aggravated Trespassing, a first degree misdemeanor.

The bad and the dumb:

The Senate bill allowed carry in any government building which did not have a security guard and other security devices at the main entrance. The House watered that down to allow carry in government buildings only if the local government having control of that building allows it. I suppose there may be a rural township somewhere in Ohio that may allow carry in its buildings but 99% will not allow it.

What makes this really dumb is it passes back to the cities some ability to regulate carry. We needed two Ohio Supreme Court cases to get state preemption declared constitutional and now the Ohio General Assembly is passing back to the cities some power to regulate carry?

The bill also says carry in the non-secured areas of airport passenger terminals is legal but all the ones I am aware of are owned by local governments. Does anyone actually believe Cleveland and Akron are going to allow carry in their airport terminals?
Nice summation. Our do-nothing Republican legislature once again did what they do best. Gun-free zones, force of law, felony carry zones, and disarmed campuses all remain, while the "gun rights" organization hold it up as a tremendous victory.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Meh....it's an improvement.....still moving in the right direction.....but force of law needs to be removed from GFZ signs before I'll be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Meh....it's an improvement.....still moving in the right direction.....but force of law needs to be removed from GFZ signs before I'll be satisfied.
More like a slight shift in the bubble than a move. My distrust in the motivations of "gun rights" groups and local/state governing bodies contributes to grow. All this legislation really does is shift the responsibility of telling Ohioans they can't legally carry various places from state law to liberal school boards and local government agencies.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
More like a slight shift in the bubble than a move. My distrust in the motivations of "gun rights" groups and local/state governing bodies contributes to grow. All this legislation really does is shift the responsibility of telling Ohioans they can't legally carry various places from state law to liberal school boards and local government agencies.
+1 Meanwhile.....still have the gun buster sign on my office building.....really annoying. But my lease is up in June and I am moving out because of it. I think I'll leave a "No Guns=No money" sign behind.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
+1 Meanwhile.....still have the gun buster sign on my office building.....really annoying. But my lease is up in June and I am moving out because of it. I think I'll leave a "No Guns=No money" sign behind.
Apparently, our state legislature and "gun rights" groups aren't troubled by such pronouncements.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Apparently, our state legislature and "gun rights" groups aren't troubled by such pronouncements.
Here's the kind of pronouncement (from the news article) that troubles me:

"Marilee Martens, an associate professor of psychology at Ohio State's Newark campus, said no students should be authorized to carry handguns on college campuses, where "emotional, sensitive topics" could trigger anger with young students whose brains still have not fully developed impulse control."

Am I supposed to believe that college-age students nowadays are incapable of having a civil discussion in an academic setting, guided by a professor, and they can't do so without resorting to gunplay ? Seriously ?

We seem to have had the wrong people "educating" our young people for far too many decades. Good grief !

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the kind of pronouncement (from the news article) that troubles me:

"Marilee Martens, an associate professor of psychology at Ohio State's Newark campus, said no students should be authorized to carry handguns on college campuses, where "emotional, sensitive topics" could trigger anger with young students whose brains still have not fully developed impulse control."

Am I supposed to believe that college-age students nowadays are incapable of having a civil discussion in an academic setting, guided by a professor, and they can't do so without resorting to gunplay ? Seriously ?

We seem to have had the wrong people "educating" our young people for far too many decades. Good grief !
Marilee and her ilk succeeded in their endeavors yet one more time. The Ohio legislature folded to their nonsensical concerns one more time.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Kasich can still veto the bill. Maybe that would be better in the long run. Sounds like the bill that passed might actually be more restrictive in some respects. If you don't have statewide preemption, you are still sort of a soft target in cities where most crime takes place.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Last time I checked...the USMC was handing out full auto weapons to 18 year olds. You would think a Psych professor would know the difference between a nut job Islamist and other law abiding students.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts