Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If they keep beating this drum, legislation is bound to follow.

VPC - Concealed Carry Killers
In 2009, the Violence Policy Center began an ongoing research project to identify killings beginning in May 2007 to the present by individuals with concealed handgun permits. As the result of a massive campaign led by the gun lobby, almost all states maintain a veil of secrecy around those who have been issued permits to carry concealed handguns. Therefore, the VPC is forced to rely primarily on news accounts for reports of killings by concealed handgun permit holders and subsequent legal proceedings.

Above is the current tally of killings committed by concealed handgun permit holders identified through news accounts from May 2007 to the present broken out by specific categories. Recognizing that the VPC is relying on news reports, the actual numbers are most likely far higher. This tally is updated monthly. Clicking on each category’s tally will link you to vignettes describing the circumstances for each killing, listed by state. The descriptions also include the current, known status of any charges filed against the permit holder as well as noting instances where the perpetrator committed suicide. (Any concealed handgun permit holders who are eventually acquitted of their alleged crimes are not included in the tallies maintained on the site although the facts surrounding the shooting are detailed.)

The Violence Policy Center welcomes any new information regarding the status of any case (with verifiable source(s)). Use this link to contact the VPC: VPC - Contact Form.

Last updated: November 16, 2009

·
Registered
203 Posts
The VPC does not support their claims with any proof, while these acts of violence may have happened, (remember some) I don't think they were CC holders. One or two maybe, anyone can go bad. And whats with the pending,(Any concealed handgun permit holders who are eventually acquitted of their alleged crimes are not included in the tallies maintained on the site although the facts surrounding the shooting are detailed.) Looks like they are included to me.
This is just another attempt by the VPC to make us all look like killers. Finally they say they rely primarily on news accounts for reports of killings by concealed handgun permit holders and subsequent legal proceedings.
Nuff said... :hand1::hand1:

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Adding up the numbers provided by vpc I come up with 103 people killed, how does this compare to the number of permit holders nationwide? I did not do the math but I would be willing to bet less than .0001%.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Adding up the numbers provided by vpc I come up with 103 people killed, how does this compare to the number of permit holders nationwide? I did not do the math but I would be willing to bet less than .0001%.
Over 600,000 in FL alone...

·
Registered
89 Posts
interesting thing to note is that they include people who have nothing to do with a concealed weapon permit. like the people that committed suicide in there home. having a cwp changed nothing since they were not using there cwp and could of got the guns any without it. perhaps we should start a system like they have and show every single person with a drivers license that ever killed someone with a vehicle and say that because there are so many of them that we should get rid of drivers licenses.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Skewed statistics and Yellow journalism.

Don't believe everything you read.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Funny, the local news just did this a month or so ago. Lets just say this the public responce was one sided. They tried to back track, and CTB.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Firearm homicides in 2007: 10,129
Firearm homicides in 2008: 9,484

Numbers for 2009 assumed to be similar to 2008

Estimated firearm homicides from May 2007-Dec 2009: ~26,000

VPC number for "killings" by permit holders: 85

Population of United States: ~308 million
Concealed Carry Permit Holders: ~5 million

That works out for one firearm homicide for every 11,846 members of the general population. Similarly, one firearm homicide by a permit holder for every 58,824 permit holders.

So based on information provided by the Dept. of Justice and the VPC (the latter of which is probably highly skewed), the general population is 4.97 times more likely than a permit holder to commit a homicide with a firearm.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I think the actual percentage number of homicides per permit holder is far less. I do not have any numbers to back this up it is just my guess. Permit holders are generally not the BG.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I've seen that page, and the biggest problems I saw were these:

1. There's no verification about how many of these people actually had permits. There's only a report that they did, and not all of the original sources say that.
3. Many of the cases involved people who should not have been issued permits, meaning the issue was not that concealed carry permits are issued in general, but that someone made an error in issuing one.
4. Some of the cases are legally gray, and were included even though the case hasn't been ruled upon and the defense claims self-defense.

I think an interesting contextual comparison would be to compare the number of CCW permit holders in all of the VPC's categories to similar shootings by law enforcement officers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts