Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Wally World today to pick up some W-W hard ball and they had white box personal defense with 230 gr. HP's. The bullet looked good but the case & primer appeared the same as the hard ball and most surely not premium ammo. Anyone tried this stuff or know anything about it?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will make a hole the size of a dime in most anything you shoot. I've shot a few hundred of them and not a single issue other than WWB is a little more dirty than some. I'm not an ammo snob, I just want something that goes bang everytime, jumps out the side and then the next one jumps up the ramp and is ready to go. This ammo snobbery is a fairly new phenom. :king:

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you really want to split hairs, yes there is better stuff out there. But I agree with King. If it works well in your weapon then use it. Lets face it a 230gr of anything will do the job as long as you do yours.

Be smart and be safe!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've chronographed it out of 5" 1911 at almost 900fps. May not be the most up to date bullet but I'd sure hate to get hit by one.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
This ammo snobbery is a fairly new phenom. :king:
Oh, not by a long shot. Shooters have been doing this for the 40+ years I have been shooting, at least. It's just now that ...

(1) there are more choices to be snobbish over;
(2) there are more shooters to be snobbish;
(3) Now everyone can be an instant snob via the internet, instead of just the magazine writers.

:image035: :image035: :image035: :image035:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Oh, not by a long shot. Shooters have been doing this for the 40+ years I have been shooting, at least. It's just now that ...

(1) there are more choices to be snobbish over;
(2) there are more shooters to be snobbish;
(3) Now everyone can be an instant snob via the internet, instead of just the magazine writers.

:image035: :image035: :image035: :image035:
:35: Ain't that the truth! I used whatever my dad's buddy had at his store for years. And I'm not much fussier now, 50 years later.

·
Registered
838 Posts
At Wally World today to pick up some W-W hard ball and they had white box personal defense with 230 gr. HP's. The bullet looked good but the case & primer appeared the same as the hard ball and most surely not premium ammo. Anyone tried this stuff or know anything about it?
When I carried a .45 I found some too and carry it for a while
untill I shot it all up .
It shot fine and like the others said I know I would not like to get
shot with it.
As long as it feed and fires I say carry it.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
W-W White box Personal Defense .45 acp

I like it. My 1911 usually only wants ball, but, it shoots subj ammo just fine.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Yep...I've bought 'em and tried 'em in my P220. Brass cased PD ammo vs nickle plated? I don't think there should be any issue there, and especially when you can find a value priced PD ammo. If there's been any extensive testing done on these, I don't know about it yet. I've carried the stuff since it's been nothing but reliable in my pistol. That's all I have to tell.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It shoots fine in my 1911's, goes bang everytime. If it shoots well in your gun, I'm sure it will leave a leak in your target. Reasonably priced too.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
shot a bunch in my HK, G21, and G30 to ensure it shoots well

shoots very well, I have a stockpile of it
sure its not Gold Dots, or Winchester SXT, Hydrashoks, etc, but for most things it will do the trick just fine

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've got WWBPD in my EDC. Glock 36. I figure that, with a .45, any JHP will do. The WWB goes bang every time, and I can hold 3.5" groups at 20 yards out of my Slimline Glock.

Some of the the 'Special' defensive rounds seem like a little too much marketing hype for my taste. I do use fancier JHP's in my smaller calibers though (Golden Sabers & Winchester PDX1). I feel the high performance expansion means more for the lighter, smaller bullets. Could be I got taken in by the marketing a bit.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I don't care what anyone says if all you can find is FMJ then carry FMJ,All the homicide shows I watch it seems like the amount a bullet mushroomed had absolutely little to do with the fact it penetrated vital organs and the victim died.
I realise the ammo in ? is JHP just saying carry what you can get and feeds reliably

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone!
I am not so concerned about expansion I just wanted to know if they function OK. I have carried 230 HydraShoks for years but they are just to hard to get now and when you can find them the price is close to $2.00/round. After these replies I think a few boxes are worth trying.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Thanks to everyone!
I am not so concerned about expansion I just wanted to know if they function OK. I have carried 230 HydraShoks for years but they are just to hard to get now and when you can find them the price is close to $2.00/round. After these replies I think a few boxes are worth trying.
Cabela's has them for $23/box of 20

·
Registered
471 Posts
there is a guy on youtube that has tested almost every HP in existence. The WWB PD 45 actually had decent results, Didnt look as pretty and open up as much as HST's, but I wouldnt hesitate to carry them. THe 45 230's looked good, but the 9mm WWB PD shed and broke up into about 7 pieces. Before the ammo (before Obama) run, I practiced with only these and also carried them. I still havent seen any available 10 months later.
:hand10:

·
Registered
443 Posts
its a hollow point perhaps not the highest quality but it is a hollow point, the only thing I would check is the muzzle flash.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, got the last 3 boxes they had @$29.97/box or $.60/round which is a great price. I will try to test them this weekend in a 5" Taurus, 4" Kimber, 3.75" HK and report results.
Majorlk thanks for the tip on Cabela's, I will see if they have any left.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts