Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie, CHL "Applied For", I have a concealed carry question: I see references to a IWB or OWB at "1:00 O'Clock", "3:30", etc.. What is the "starting point" for the clock? Is it the same for a right-handed or left-handed shooter (I'm right-handed). Thanks in advance for the time and effort of your response.

:confused:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
12:00 would be belly button well say or zipper line would be better then just space it out like a clock on you waist...

i carry 9oclock most the time cause im a lefty that would be left hip carry for me

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yep - clock is a constant - so as Bud says - 12 is belly button. I as a righty carry between 3 and 3.30 in OWB which you may find quite common. Many IWB fella's go to 4 o'clock.

So - 3 for me as a righty equates to a lefty like Bud on 9 - same difference - strong hand for us both :smile:

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
And Then There Is Fateful 6:00

The Deadly Hour. The Grim Reaper Carry Location.

Sometimes Called: Small Of Back....or just S.O.B.
Carrying at Deathwish 6:00 is very bad if you tend to fall over backwards all the time.
I've nicknamed it the:

:grim:Permanent Paralysis Pistol Packing Position.:grim:

6:00 Carry is the evil location where the Human Spine will snap in half like a toothpick or a little twig should you get knocked over backward or "whoops! "Slip On The Ice"
:hand4:

·
Super Moderator
23,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carry Positions

Thank you all so much - SOB is definitely out for me - I've played with 1:00 to 1:30 to 2:00 around the house with a small IWB so far - still getting used to it. I'll start experimenting with 3:00 to 4:30 or so too.

All of the ideas and guidance around CC is fantastic - thank you all so much!

:smile:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I am at 5 - 5:30 IWB and love it there. It doesn't bulge, doesn’t pull on my waist band, stays very close to the small of my back but very comfortable and this is with IMO an inadequate belt and still rides good in a Brommeland Max-Con V. Also the small of the back seems to be off limits with people, I was at Thanksgiving and hugging a lot of family and not one even considered touching that area, must have given at least a dozen hugs X 2 when leaving and no one was the wiser that my piece was on me.

Ti.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I carry at about 4:30 since I lost a little weight...that spot is a really comfortable carry. I almost forget the K9 is there sometimes...but then reality kicks in. The closest I've come to waist carry is using the Smart Carry rig. I only use that on "dress" occasions like when wearing Dockers and such. But, waist carry is supposed to aid your draw in CQB and leaves your weak hand for other defensive manuevers. Good luck with whatever method of carry you choose...

·
Registered
470 Posts
You would have to move the rig around to find your "Sweet" spot. Generally I line up the back sight about 1 inch behind the leg seam on my pants. But everyone's comfort zones are different...

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ti - carrying as far round as you do - how do you handle sitting? In particular driving etc.

I find even at 3.30 my mag base is as far to rear as I want it and in office chair it rubs, so that is my limit. In truck I move rig to 3 o'clock to enable clearance.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I use left-hand IWB. Since my G21 has a large grip to reign in, I started carrying at exactly 9:00. The way my belt loops are arranged, this centers the C-Tac on the 9:00 loop. The equipment has a mind of its own, however. The holster quickly works its way a couple of inches toward 8:00, lodging against the next belt loop.

It's actually more comfortable there, so I go with the flow. Just can't bend as much now---with the holster at 9:00 I could bend and show nothing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Its intersting when ya mentioned 'hugging' and with the holidays here that is gonna be very prevalant for a few weeks.
i know at any of the side locations (3 & 9 o'clock) the "huggers" hands or forearms will/have rubbed the top of my gun many times. nobody has 'called' me on it but i know they know they rubbed something that was "hard". now with all the stuff people carry on there belts these days i guess they simply ignored it. some people know i carry so they probably kneow what they touched, but its gonna be contacted at those postions (3 & 9) with hugs.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I carry at 8:30 or so. My Beltster does not allow for adjustment of the position, so I played with an IWB for a while B4 ordering mine.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I carry IWB and OWB at about the same position, between 3:30 and 4:00. With a full size 1911 there is a "sweet spot" that will make the gun essentially disappear. You just have to play around with position a bit to find it....

·
Registered
357 Posts
SOLOLUCKY said:
Its intersting when ya mentioned 'hugging'... i know at any of the side locations (3 & 9 o'clock) the "huggers" hands or forearms will/have rubbed the top of my gun many times.
Go low. Keep your carry side arm down and raise your other arm to hug. Or, go for the waist with both arms. People will tend to adjust accordingly, and that keeps their arms away from your waist on the strong side.

Beware of those sneaking up to hug you from behind - but people shouldn't be able to sneak up on you anyway, right?

SSKC

·
Super Moderator
23,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marvelous responses, everyone - Thank You! I now get to experiment to find my "sweet spot" (only at home still - CHL "In Process"). I appreciate the positive, informative responses in this forum. Very helpful and professional!

:xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave: :xyxwave:

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Rock & Glock,

First off , welcome aboard - not only to the forum, but to the world of concealed carry as well.

When you first begin to carry a firearm, it will feel a bit strange to you. Your decision to work out the details of carry position and holster selection in advance of carrying on the street is a wise one. As many here have already stated, this will require a little bit of experimentation. I would recommend that you try the 4:30 point as the place to start, and move it around a bit from there until you find that "sweet spot".

Once that location is found, I would also suggest that you decide upon a holster model and get it before carrying on the street. Cops are trained (as are career criminals in prision) to spot someone carrying by looking for the guy who "pats" and "fiddles around" with their firearm. When you first start carrying concealed, most folks feel very conspicious and are "sure" that "everyone" sees that they are armed. The only cure for these two conditions is to wear your holster/firearm until it feels like a natural part of yourself. Once you feel like you are "wearing" your gun, rather than "carrying" it, you'll be all set to take it outside (assuming, of course, that your permit has come thru by then :biggrin: )

Do not overlook a quality belt - it will serve as the foundation for the holster and permit it to do it's job much more effectively.

Lastly, GET SOME TRAINING. Whatever the minimum that your state requires is totally inadequate to survive a gunfight with a real bad guy. Unless you have a Spec ops or other combat background, military training is also inadequate. Your role as a civilian carrying in a society that is just waiting for a chance to toss your butt in the slam is much different than that of a soldier. A good tactical trainer will teach you:

1. Just how crucially important it is to avoid a lethal force conflict, if it is at all humanly possible.

2. Steps to take in order to be aware of your surroundings and avoid an attack, or be prepared to react quickly and properly to survive one if it does come.

3. Steps to take IN ADVANCE to stay out of jail. Keep in mind that your worst enemy, after the guy who is (hopefully) laying on the ground will be the investigating officers and the Prosecuting Attorney. You have the right to remain silent - USE IT!!!

4. How to deal with the media.

5. Shooting skills beyond what you (probably) think you'll ever need.

6. Tactics - Cover, concealment, prioritizing of targets, etc.

I had been a shooter for 20+ years, having fired hundreds of thousands of rounds (conservative estimate, btw.) when I set foot into my first real training course. Twenty minutes later, I realized that I had been totally clueless and would almost certainly have died in a defensive situation.
Take a class from a good trainer (not the local gunshop commando) and it will be among the single best investments in yourself and your family that you'll ever make.

In closing, let me invite you to call my shop 423.733.1779 anytime that you have a question. Helping newbies get started is part of what I do. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi Rock and Glock,

Welcome to CombatCarry and the world of concealed carry! :smile:

I carry IWB at 4-5 o'clock in a bellyband holster.

Gary gives some great advice on carrying. In addition, you'll learn to wear proper clothing and move around without "printing" - showing the outline of the gun/holster (see attached picture) through your clothes. Some people wear layers, printed patterns that mask shapes, vests, or longer shirts. Sometimes people end up printing when they bend over. Try bending at the knees and keeping your back straight instead of curling your back. Stand on front of a mirror and see what works and what doesn't.

There's lots of stuff to learn, and this is a great place to learn it.

·
Super Moderator
23,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carry Positions

Everyone here is so positive and helpful - that's part of what makes CC such a great forum!

Our (wife too) training continues once or twice a week - my wife and I have a couple of teachers/trainers/coaches/mentors that have 30-50 year experience. Right now we're working on safety (always), marksmanship, rate of fire, and will probably continue to train and learn for many years. We watched an IDPA training session today at the range - pretty interesting, and looks like fun.

I've been on the forum both as a visitor and as a new member long enough now to realize that I have only begun a long journey, and that I'll be learning new things from all of you a long time!

Again, thanks for the help! Please realize that as you pose questions and scenarios that I'll be reading, learning and observing, and will begin responding when I can add to the forum in a constructive and helpful fashion.

:cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I do a lecture each week on holsters for several years now and found that for the average person directly behind the outseam of a mans trousers works best, either side. When moving to the female body this changes quite a bit, seems most I have worked with (because of shorter torso and hips hence different offset) that between 4 and say 5 works best along with a proper fitting female holster such as Chris Cunninghams holsters for women. Rather then explaining it here, Chris does a better job.

Personally I carry IWB both left and right (one at a time) and found that directly behind the outseam works best for me on either side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts