Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

About a month ago I subdued an unarmed intruder in my home at 3 am. In the aftermath we got floodlights, alarms, motion detectors, joined the NRA and I applied for a VA CCL. Yesterday, I found out that I had to amend because of extra requirements for my county and I used my middle initial instead of full middle name.
So I gotta wait some more.
I've owned a Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine for several years and have 2 AK kits. I studied the Former East Bloc in school so am looking at a Makarov as my carry weapon.
I'm going to the Nations Gun Show at the end of the month in Chantilly, VA. I am also planning on going to the range at NRA headquarters as I work down the street from it.
I've been reading the forum for a month. Good to be here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome From Central Texas :)

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

Great job!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

About a month ago I subdued an unarmed intruder in my home at 3 am. In the aftermath we got floodlights, alarms, motion detectors, joined the NRA and I applied for a VA CCL. Yesterday, I found out that I had to amend because of extra requirements for my county and I used my middle initial instead of full middle name.
So I gotta wait some more.
I've owned a Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine for several years and have 2 AK kits. I studied the Former East Bloc in school so am looking at a Makarov as my carry weapon.
I'm going to the Nations Gun Show at the end of the month in Chantilly, VA. I am also planning on going to the range at NRA headquarters as I work down the street from it.
I've been reading the forum for a month. Good to be here.
You might want to look into that middle initial vs full middle name thing. I don't think locales can supersede state requirements. When the "shall issue" took effect on July 1, 1995, Fairfax was one of the counties that overcharged for permits. They got their hands slapped on that one. They did a few other things that were outside of the law, as well.

As for the NRA range, it is a very modern and fine range to use. But it only has 15 lanes so expect a wait... even on week days. Still their target systems are great (you can time/flip from edge to face and set the distance you want). They also allow draw and fire exercises and I encourage you to take advantage of this. Just make sure you know what you're doing when practicing draw/fire with live ammo.

There is also another range modeled after the NRA range not far from the NRA headquarters. It is the brainchild of a man who used to manage the NRA range (I think I have that right). A lot more lanes and less crowded. Let me know if you are interested in visiting that one. Send me a PM and we can talk further about this.

Reactions: zpaladin

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

Reactions: zpaladin

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Howdy from TEXAS, where the west begins. Welcome to the forum.
Glad you could join us. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
In Virginia you do NOT need a license or permit to purchase a firearm or handgun. You can openly carry in Virginia. You can certainly acquire a home defense firearm at any time, no waiting period.

Obviously your initial mistake was not failing to be armed, it was failing to secure your sliding door. Glad to hear you beefed up with layered security. Welcome to DCDC

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
In Virginia you do NOT need a license or permit to purchase a firearm or handgun. You can openly carry in Virginia. You can certainly acquire a home defense firearm at any time, no waiting period.
Yep. And there's no waiting period. And no permit is required for open carry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. As indicated, I do own a firearm. I also live in an apt complex that bans firearms and my workplace would frown upon it as well. Hence the CCL. What they don't see can hurt them, but I hope won't hurt me.
To clarify, there are 2 separate issues: one with my name and the other with the qualification certification, the latter being specific to Fairfax and a few other jurisdictions. I am hazy on the details though as I thought requirements would be uniform throughout the state.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might want to look into that middle initial vs full middle name thing. I don't think locales can supersede state requirements. When the "shall issue" took effect on July 1, 1995, Fairfax was one of the counties that overcharged for permits. They got their hands slapped on that one. They did a few other things that were outside of the law, as well.

As for the NRA range, it is a very modern and fine range to use. But it only has 15 lanes so expect a wait... even on week days. Still their target systems are great (you can time/flip from edge to face and set the distance you want). They also allow draw and fire exercises and I encourage you to take advantage of this. Just make sure you know what you're doing when practicing draw/fire with live ammo.

There is also another range modeled after the NRA range not far from the NRA headquarters. It is the brainchild of a man who used to manage the NRA range (I think I have that right). A lot more lanes and less crowded. Let me know if you are interested in visiting that one. Send me a PM and we can talk further about this.
Thanks for all the good info! I will try to figure out what Fairfax is doing and report back.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Welcome from down the road, where Loudoun county hasn't (yet) seen the need to overreach. I used to live in Fairfax county but got tired of their totalitarian ways. Good on you!

Reactions: ValkRider

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome from East Texas. Seems to me that the most important thing is you're able to post. Glad you and yours are all ok.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Thanks. As indicated, I do own a firearm. I also live in an apt complex that bans firearms and my workplace would frown upon it as well.
I don't think an apartment complex can ban firearms in your dwelling or when coming and going with them from someplace outside of the complex. I think they can ban them from "common" areas. You might want to check on that.

Hence the CCL. What they don't see can hurt them, but I hope won't hurt me.
Just so you'll know, in Virginia it's a CHP, not a CCL.

To clarify, there are 2 separate issues: one with my name and the other with the qualification certification, the latter being specific to Fairfax and a few other jurisdictions. I am hazy on the details though as I thought requirements would be uniform throughout the state.
You might want to report this to Virginia Citizens Defense League. I am pretty certain locales cannot have their own special little hindrances in the application process. Some have tried this and have been called on the carpet for it.

Reactions: Poppy42 and BadgerJ

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Thanks. As indicated, I do own a firearm. I also live in an apt complex that bans firearms and my workplace would frown upon it as well. Hence the CCL. What they don't see can hurt them, but I hope won't hurt me.
You can probably talk to someone and get some compromise on having a firearm in your apartment, particularly if it isn't owned by a University, as in University housing.

If you did not sign anything in which you agree not to own a firearm or purchase one when you signed the lease, then it may not be binding. Look at your lease. Agree with the poster above, it might just talk about not being armed in common areas, and they probably can't keep you from armed defense inside your apt.

I would be careful about CC-ing in a workplace that would frown upon carrying at work. Analyze your workplace and the parking lot and surrounding area. Perhaps the better idea would be to have a guard or someone go with you when you head for your car. If there is no such person, get a co-worker, talk to your boss about parking lot safety if it's prudent to do so.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Thanks for all the good info! I will try to figure out what Fairfax is doing and report back.
If I may add one more thing in all of this, and it's very critical for those who carry a firearm.

Learn the laws of our state that apply to the use of deadly force. Don't assume and be careful of information you receive on websites. Even some so-called legal sources have been known to dispense false information*. What might seem to be common sense could very well spell financial and personal disaster to someone who uses a firearm against another. So learn the laws of Virginia and how they pertain to this most important and critical part of the equation. I have attended four such classes/seminars on this topic, three of which were hosted by an attorney who specializes in related cases. Come to think of it, it was five not four.

Do take the time to learn our laws in Virginia. It is time well worth the effort.

* One "legal" source I checked out stated that you have a duty to retreat in Virginia. This is patently not true as long as you have a legal right to be where you are and you are not part of the problem (I can elaborate on this if you wish).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts