Defensive Carry banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I've been shopping elsewhere but I look for bargains more often. I can't get my wife away from WalMart though. Wish she had a drivers license.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
It seems that most of the request by businesses for not carrying in their establishments emphasize open carry. Does that mean they distinguish concealed from this or do they not understand what they are requesting?
To my knowledge their issue right now is strictly open carry. They have no problem with us being armed as long as it is not visible.

·
Registered
829 Posts
...My wife wouldn't step foot in a gun store if I didn't go with her and she's VERY pro gun. Why? The way she's been treated by gun store employees...
We had the same sort of experience.
Jean learned to shoot pistols with my 1911s, in .45 ACP. She became very good at it.
So we went to the LGS to buy her something concealable.
The clerk just about insisted that the only appropriate pistol for my small, lightweight wife was a snubbie revolver in .38 Special.
My testimony that she was quite proficient with a .45 just did not make an impression on his thick head.
So we left, and the LGS lost a sale.

About a week later, we were driving south to visit a friend in Oregon, and we passed the (then) only Cabela's in western Washington.
Just on a whim, I suggested that we stop. In the gun department, I let her do the shopping, while I observed.
She chose for herself. The clerk offered no guidance.
By then she'd tried our two snubbie .38 Specials and our two snubbie .45 semi-autos. The .38s recoiled wrong for her hands, and the .45s were too heavy for her.
She chose a Kel-Tec P-3AT. Why? It was small and lightweight, and it fit her hand well.
Cabela's made a sale, including ammunition and a temporary holster. Jean was happy with the purchase.
About a week-worth of practice later, she was quite good with the .380 Kel-Tec.
She lets me borrow it occasionally.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Some more information....

https://gun.laws.com/weapons/illegal-guns/mayors-against-illegal-guns

OVERVIEW ON MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS

-snip-Over 500 mayors from across America have signed a statement of principles, attaching them to the coalition, including prominent members Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg of New York and Mayor Thomas M. Menino of Boston.-snip-

-snip-Mayors Against Illegal Guns is notable for its bi-partisan membership, and also for all it has accomplished in its fight to crack down on illegal guns, from new gun laws to simply increasing public awareness. It has actually even succeeded in getting Wal-Mart, the largest seller of firearms in the nation, to adopt the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership.-snip-

And again from Wal Mart's own website:

https://corporate.walmart.com/policies

Walmart Policies and Guidelines

Firearms and Ammunition Guidelines
-snip-
Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety.-snip-

So now folks know with who Wal Mart is aligning itself and what the money folks spend at Wal Mart supports. I am wondering if membership in the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership has anything to do with the sudden rash of retailers following Wal Mart's example of banning open carry?

Reactions: Nmuskier and Aceoky

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hmmm...
"Over 500 mayors..."

I wonder how many mayors there are, in the US. Certainly thousands.
And of them, 500 are members of an anti-gun organization? And big businesses like Wally World listen to them?

I suggest that we ask the NRA to make a point of trumpeting its membership numbers to those businesses.
I further suggest walking into your local Wally World (etc.), contacting its manager, and explaining that, as a member of the NRA and as a gun owner, you now refuse to shop there.
I bet that doing that will do a lot of good. Businesses need customers. Let 'em know what they're losing.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I heard on NRA News a while back that many Mayors were solicited by "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" and were bamboozled into joining.
They later found out it was an anti-gun (all guns) organization and demanded to be removed from the list. Apparently unjoining is much more difficult, if not impossible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
To my knowledge their issue right now is strictly open carry. They have no problem with us being armed as long as it is not visible.
There was a time not long ago when people didn't mind that my wife was native American as long as I kept her hidden so as not to upset people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My local Walmart has 50rd 9mm boxes at just over $7 a piece (closeout sale)... i purchased all 6 they had in stock. Sad to see them stopping ammunition sales, BUT I’m okay spending an extra buck or two and supporting my LGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
There was a time not long ago when people didn't mind that my wife was native American as long as I kept her hidden so as not to upset people.
My wife of 27 years is native Alaskan. I can’t recall her heritage ever being an issue. Of course we’ve mostly lived in military communities all that time, which may make a difference.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I had previously reported our local Sam's had not been checking membership cards at the door. They are now "checking" to the extent you wave it at them but with no effort to verify the picture on back matches the person carrying it. I feel so much safer.

Reactions: M1911A1

·
Super Moderator
16,151 Posts
I had previously reported our local Sam's had not been checking membership cards at the door. They are now "checking" to the extent you wave it at them but with no effort to verify the picture on back matches the person carrying it. I feel so much safer.
Our Sam's Club does not even have a picture on the card.

Reactions: spclopr8tr

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Our local Walmart today is still stocked with as much pistol , AR, and AK ammo as before their anti-gun announcement.

I know our local store doesn’t keep weeks worth of ammo in the back, so they’re getting resupplied from somewhere. Have to wonder how long their current supply stream is going to last. Are they actually stopping sales, or was it all words to pacify the panic but without action to see it through?

·
Registered
33,980 Posts

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I had one too but Sam's Club cancelled it for lack of use.
I buy most of my gas there. It's a few cents cheaper than everywhere else. I pay it off in full every month, so no interest, and then they send me a check every now and then as cash back. Gotta love Sam's.

Reactions: msgt/ret
121 - 136 of 136 Posts