Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically carry my wallet in my back left pocket but as i'm right handed I plan to carry on my right hip. I'm thinking I should probably switch my wallet to the other side because if someone were watching me with the intent of robbing me it would look odd for me to reach with my right hand if they saw me put my wallet in the left pocket. What is everyine's opinion on this and what is the likelihood of my gun possibly being in the way while reaching for my wallet? Thanks for any advice on this matter.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I have always felt the wallet in the right pocket would be in the way to a degree with a gun carried at 3 to 4 o'clock. It also increases the risk of flashing your gun when lifting a cover garment to get your wallet out. AND if you have carried the wallet in your left pocket for your whole life you are gonna HATE how it feels if you switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point about potentially showing the gun, which seems much more likely than someone noticing me reach with the wrong hand if they demand my wallet. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I carry my wallet in my left rear pocket and my gun holstered on my right hip. But, I carry my money and one credit card in my left front pocket (in a money clip) and have for years. For the majority of day to day transactions, the money clip is all anyone will see. If you rob me that's what you'll get and I only have one credit card to report as stolen. If you demand the wallet, I'll say "Sure thing" and reach behind me. Depending on the circumstances, you'll either be presented with a wallet or a gun.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i think that in the heat of the moment if the guy is robbing you they probably wont be paying too close attention to which pocket you put it into. now that wouldnt be the case for all but i feel most. a majority of people carry their wallet in the back right pocket so it wouldnt look out of the ordinary. i think this is the mentality of those who carry smaller guns in wallet holsters there too.

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
Yeah and don't forget you need to work the phone carry in as well . I still have some issues with the phone on the right as well as my CC . my wallet always has been on the left on a very big motorcycle chain attached to it . (I always carry a phone while carrying )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. Welder, my phone is always in my left front pocket so that shouldn't present a problem. Gene, money clip in front pocket seems like a really good solution to this problem. Like you said most day to day things I'll either use cash or the one card so that will probably be the route I will take.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When I started to CC I moved my wallet to my left back pocket. [ I'm right handed] It didn't take long to get used to. I also never carry my cash in my wallet if I should lose the wallet I at least have some cash in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'm in the wallet in the weak side back pocket camp, my phone is on that side as well. This is to keep my strong (draw) hand free if approached.

The other plan, however unlikely it would happen is if someone got the drop on me and demands my wallet, I'll take it out while angeling my strong side away from them and getting a ready to draw grip on my handgun. Then throw my wallet over their shoulder so they have to turn around as their focus will be on the wallet. At that time I draw and if they turn back around to face me, I have to assume their intent isn't the wallet, but mainly now I have the drop on them. What happens after that is determined my their actions.

Having a plan is one thing, things going according to your plan, well... I home to never find out.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Personally I think your over thinking it. Most robberies are a crime of opportunity and not where the BG has spent time checking you out.

That said, I no longer carry a wallet in a back pocket. I carry in weak side front pocket. I know, really PO's the pick pockets off.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Wallet in weak side front pocket. Money clip strong side front pocket, weapon at 4 o'clock. Phone on weak side hip.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Lefty here, left side rear pocket wallet. I was in a small crowd once and got targeted by a pickpocket. My back pocket was buttoned down and the guy brushed against my P30 , I guess, when he tried to pick. All I know is I heard this little "Oops, sorry," and when I turned, he was fast-walking away.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
My OWB holster actually does prevent me from accessing my right back pocket. So I carry my wallet in my front pocket. It's more comfortable for my rear-end anyway, especially since I have lower-back problems. Like some one else said, a would-be robber probably won't be paying attention to which pocket you go for. My plan if ever demanded to hand over my wallet is to begin reaching as if to retrieve the wallet, but grab the gun instead. I feel like it would work pretty well.

I also carry my phone in my left pocket. If my gun is drawn and I need to call police, I'll be able to do so this way.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I typically carry my wallet in my back left pocket but as i'm right handed I plan to carry on my right hip. I'm thinking I should probably switch my wallet to the other side because if someone were watching me with the intent of robbing me it would look odd for me to reach with my right hand if they saw me put my wallet in the left pocket. What is everyine's opinion on this and what is the likelihood of my gun possibly being in the way while reaching for my wallet? Thanks for any advice on this matter.
If someone is asking for your wallet, I'll assume here that they are presenting you with some form of lethal force. If you're planning on drawing instead, you better also have a plan of deflecting their form of lethal force in the process. Either by simply getting off of the X, or actually sweeping their weapon in some way.

I would not expect them to politely stand there while you draw and shoot them, regardless of where you wallet and firearm are carried.

·
Registered
42,127 Posts
Some people think too much.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I keep my wallet on my left (weak) side, front pocket. My theory is that it keeps my wallet in my pocket if anyone wants to take it (I've been jumped before and all they got was an empty back pocket), it keeps my back from having issues (the reason it moved to the front to begin with), and if I ever do get mugged I'll be able to throw the wallet on the ground with my left while I draw with my right.

I don't carry cash, and can cancel all my cards online in about five minutes. I'm actually more concerned about my ID and CCW cards than I am my credit/debit cards.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I keep a LCP in a guru wallet holster in my right rear pocket and without hesitation would give the bad guy the contents of the wallet but bullets first. There are too many reported cases where the victim did as directed by the bad guy only to be shot after doing so.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts