Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up several boxes of Winchester 9mm Hollow Point 147 gr at Walmart at $17.97 per box of 50. The are USA9JHP2.

How do they compare as HD ammo? At 990 fps and 320 ft-lbs they're obviously not up there with the Federal 124 gr Hydra-Shok +P+ I have (1170 fps / 375 ft-lbs), but those are twice as expensive ($35 per box).

I'm more interested in real world HD use, not water jugs or bare gelatin blocks. Shooting through windshields isn't likely, but good expansion after going through heavy winter clothing could matter.

What I carry is the best I can get, but for depth getting twice as many boxes seems a good idea.

·
Registered
809 Posts
147 grain 9x19mm JHP ammunition doesn't have the best track record, but provided you do your part it is probably an OK choice. 990 fps, if it actually makes that out of your gun, may or may not be enough to expand a traditional JHP. The best 147 grain 9x19 loads use premium bullets like the Gold Dot, SXT, etc.

It has been my experience that Wal-Mart carries the cheapest, not necessarily the best, of any given product, including ammunition. YMMV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I've got 200 rounds of the good stuff HP. Figure a double-tap each for 100 BG's, then any more BG's will have to be happy with second-rate Walmart HP.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Worst case it is a 3/8" fmj if it don't expand, moving at around 700 miles per hour, it will still hurt... shoot straight!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I agree. I've got 200 rounds of the good stuff HP. Figure a double-tap each for 100 BG's, then any more BG's will have to be happy with second-rate Walmart HP.
If you have 100 enemies, it may be time for some heavier fire-power.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
It's better than FMJ.

The WWB "Personal Protection" ammo is a pretty baseline JHP, that was cutting edge decades ago.

If it's all you can find or afford, and if your pistol likes 'em OK, like I said...it's better'n ball.

As for performance through clothing...don't expect too much expansion, if any...the bullet just wasn't designed to do that.

Cheaper isn't always better.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
It is what it is. Historically the issue with the heavy 9mm hollow points has been inconsistant expansion due to the lower velocity. The 147grain rounds do much better out of longer barrels. If you have a 9mm carbine it is a perfect match.
Worst case scenario, it doesn't expand so you are hitting your target with a heavy FMJ. Still better than a pointy stick! Best case it performs exactly as designed and hoped for. It would not be my first choice for every day carry, but I could see having some on hand for the zombie apocolypse.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The stuff is fine. it expands well in water jug tests. Save your money and buy a few boxes. I don't hesitate to carry it in my EDC.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Gives you a chance to readily practice with what you will be carrying...that's gotta be worth something.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well, I wouldn't volunteer to get shot by it.

I say buy it, shoot it, and see for yourself how it performs. At $18 a box of 50, it might make some nice "back up" ammo if for some reason you ran out of your regular SD ammo.

Then again, it could be :censored:. When I was carrying a 9mm, all I ever used for duty and concealed carry in it was 124 grain hydrashocks. I don't have any experience with any other hollowpoints in that caliber.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
It is what it is. It's not Wal mart ammo, it's Winchester ammo. Wal Mart makes dollar bills not ammo!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Not my first choice in SD rounds, but I would carry them, if it's what I had...Even if it's a decade old technology, BG's haven't become harder to stop than they were 10 years ago...

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Not my first choice in SD rounds, but I would carry them, if it's what I had...Even if it's a decade old technology, BG's haven't become harder to stop than they were 10 years ago...

Decades, plural...and while the criminals haven't become harder to stop, the bullets that we can choose to stop them have become better...

This bullet is from the times when 147gr 9mm was found to be a poor SD choice, as compared to modern 147gr rounds.

Carry what you want, but it's not "just as good as" a 147gr Ranger-T, HST, or Gold Dot.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It has been my experience that Wal-Mart carries the cheapest, not necessarily the best, of any given product, including ammunition. YMMV.
Some stores now have Winchester PDX-1 in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45ACP.

If I were to carry a 9mm, it would likely be a heavier bullet, but certainly not the WWB Personal Defense loads. I'd look for a little more speed, and a better designed bullet.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I mainly carry Ranger T's and HST's in my 9. However, the WWB's will make a hole in a BG and ruin his day. If that's all you've got shoot 'em. Shot placement is king anyway regardless of what you are shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
WallyWorld 9MM HP Ammo

I want 115 GR 9MM at 1300FPS that dumps 350+ into the subject. The Cor-Bon that I use does that and WallyWorld does not sell it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I used to preach energy dump. Now I preach penetration and expansion. Not much short of a 1 ounce shotgun slug at 1300fps hits hard enough to actually "shock" like some folks think the hot 9mm, or any other pistol round, does.

I think the Ranger 147 just got adopted by some large agency, I just can't remember which...

My thought process is like this:

If you were in Africa, and you had to kill an enraged elephant that was almost on top of you, what would you want to shoot it with? A hyper hot 150 grain 300 Win mag, or a relatively lunking along 500 grain 458 Win mag? I'll take the 458. Why would the logic be different for a human aggressor?

Go heavy, and go deep.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have 100 enemies, it may be time for some heavier fire-power.
I'd definitely want something better for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts