Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.range365.com/concealed-carrier-brings-gun-to-bat-and-knife-fight

Kansas, legal to open carry or conceal carry without a permit.

Two men fighting in the parking lot. One with a knife, one with a cut wound and a baseball bat. Innocent bystanders, young children were certainly walking by, if not filming on their phones. Someone could die.

We have spoken a lot about when placing one's self into the scenario is good or not so wise. Pro's and cons. Also, consider when Law Enforcement arrives.

Perhaps the presence and Walmarts Security guards contact with Law Enforcement while waiting for law enforcement's arrival kept the Gun carrier safe once they arrived.

This ended very well.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Here was a case which could have resulted in 1, possibly 2 less idiots in the world, and this CC'er screwed it up. I'd have let these morons go at each other, called 911 and tried to get good video for later posting on DC so that you good folks could also watch these morons go at each other.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
While his intentions were good, it could have also gone very wrong for him. What if they both rushed him? What if one of the bystanders coming by was also carrying and decided he was the biggest threat? I can also say that around my way, Walmart security don't consist of off-duty cops, so who knows how they'd react to you. I'm all for being the good guy, but sometimes you just have to stay out of things and get away from a problem instead of confronting it. It went well in this case, so I'm glad. But it won't always end up that way.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
The guys lucky that an unseen third party didn't walk up behind him and shoot him dead. Just saying...we aren't cops. I'd have just called 911 and stayed out of it. Couldn't watch video, my bandwidth at its limit...

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Here was a case which could have resulted in 1, possibly 2 less idiots in the world, and this CC'er screwed it up. I'd have let these morons go at each other, called 911 and tried to get good video for later posting on DC so that you good folks could also watch these morons go at each other.
God bless you, thinking of your fellow forum members and their entertainment needs:biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
While this ended in a positive outcome, it could have gone sideways in a hurry and to the detriment (physically or legally) of the "good guy". I personally would not have intervened in this scenario as I have no intention of ever drawing my pistol in attempt to break up a fight between two chuckleheads.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am not getting a CCL top play "Hero" It is intended for defending my family and myself. When they issue capes with "S" or a Bat on them with the CCL, then we can reconsider.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
If it had been two guys who knew each other fist fighting in a parking lot probably no one would have tried to break it up.

It's not clear if the guy with the knife pulled it on the other guy first or if the guy with the bat came after the other guy first. It doesn't matter much. Either way, either guy could have walked away from the fight without the guy with a gun getting involved.

If Walmart doesn't want to provide proper security it's still not the job of joe citizen to play cop. He was wrong and was probably lucky that he wasn't arrested when the cops finally showed up. I'm pretty sure that the guy with the gun could still be liable for assault if either of the two fighting wanted to press charges.

·
Registered
681 Posts
There is not really enough information to judge this situation. I can't believe I would have gotten invoved in anyway other than dialing 911. I have to much to lose and not a single thing to gain. However, I want to be a good human being but not a hero.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
You can't always count on cameras from the building backing up your story. Security cameras have a bad habit of looking at the wrong angle and the right time, or the right camera being out of service at the wrong time. If the cops show up and three guys have weapons out, guess who is getting the majority of their attention? The guy with the gun. If you want to be a hero, head to your local recruitment center or apply to the police academy. Otherwise know when to butt in and butt out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not my circus; not my monkeys.

My weapon is for my protection,and that of my friends and loved ones if need be. I'm not an enforcement officer of any kind. I'll stay out of their way, get to my vehicle, lock up, and let the local gendarmerie know about the incident if they want to get involved.

Parking lots like this are the water holes where the predators of our society do much of their hunting. In this situation, threat condition goes to Orange while I keep an even sharper eye out on things and get out of the area.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Not my job to stop two men from competing in a "Who's the Biggest Idiot" contest.

Question what the carrier would have done if they kept fighting. Would he have shot one of them? They both had lethal weapons. What then?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I can't give blanket "I would/I wouldn't" answers to these true or mythical scenarios. Generally, I let grown adults FIGHT. Be a good witness, report the incident as necessary & let those who are PAID to address the problem do...their job. In the other extreme, I couldn't abide the strong & aggressive abusing the weak & defenseless. I'm no hero, I see myself more as a good Samaritan (who CAN/WILL drop a violent bully like a hot horseshoe). :yup:

Reactions: rcsoftexas
1 - 20 of 56 Posts