Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got up this morning I discovered that my Mr. Coffee had finally died of old age. So, I boiled some water & slow-poured it over the grounds in the machine to get me through the morning. Reluctantly, I decided to go to Walmart to get a new coffee maker. When I got there I was dumbfounded at not only the number of people, but that the majority were not following any semblance of social distancing. Luckily I was CCing OWB so I just tucked in my shirt to shift to OC (I was carrying my Kimber Super Custom Carry HD in a DM Bullard Bodyguard & a spare mag). It was like Moses parting the Red Sea. Everybody kept a 6+ foot distance from me. I was able to walk in, get a coffee maker, check-out & exit the store in less than 5 minutes.

I'm not sure if it was that I was OCing, or my motorcycle face mask with a skull face, or maybe both. But it worked for me.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Am doing all the shopping possible on-line. Yeah some folks do touch the stuff before you get it, however it seems to me it would be better to NOT get near anyone that has it directly. Doc said over a month ago to stay in so that is what I’m doing

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I'm amazed at the things you can get online and delivered! Home Depot delivers for less that it would cost me to drive over there! And I don't have to put up with the other people! I started a remodel before the lockdown, The wife shops for fixtures, and appliances online, and they get delivered right to my driveway! DR

·
Registered
268 Posts
Online shopping is becoming a must for me now. It's not so much about the virus which obviously people should take common sense precautions with, but the amount of people panic shopping and the horrible limited hours and store policies that are now in place. Who is everyone doing their online shopping with?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
We do a lot of online shopping through Amazon, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Chewy, Duluth Trading, and Ebay. We're about 45 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart and Home Depot and often the household items we order can be delivered before we can arrange the half day shopping trip to actually go to the stores. We've been doing it this way for a couple of years and it has cut way down on shopping excursions.

·
Super Moderator
23,225 Posts
I prefer to shop small and local. They accommodate no contact shopping and either deliver, or deliver to a vehicle parked in front after calling in a credit card. Yes, we also do Chewy and Amazon and others, but I do try to support local when I can.

Local will be more important to our future I suspect too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I got up this morning I discovered that my Mr. Coffee had finally died of old age. So, I boiled some water & slow-poured it over the grounds in the machine to get me through the morning. Reluctantly, I decided to go to Walmart to get a new coffee maker. When I got there I was dumbfounded at not only the number of people, but that the majority were not following any semblance of social distancing. Luckily I was CCing OWB so I just tucked in my shirt to shift to OC (I was carrying my Kimber Super Custom Carry HD in a DM Bullard Bodyguard & a spare mag). It was like Moses parting the Red Sea. Everybody kept a 6+ foot distance from me. I was able to walk in, get a coffee maker, check-out & exit the store in less than 5 minutes.

I'm not sure if it was that I was OCing, or my motorcycle face mask with a skull face, or maybe both. But it worked for me.
You could have gotten the same effect with a MAGA hat in many parts of the country.

·
Registered
519 Posts
There was an ad on Facebook for some masks a while back. 5 for $20. Looked the other day and now $18 each!!. Wish I had gotten some back then. Would love to have the one with the image of a smiling toothy grin and cigar in the mouth. Oh well, like getting my S&W Sport II, I missed my chance.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
33,949 Posts
I had to go to the grocery store yesterday to get some produce...so I put on my best dust mask and then a bandana over that. That is the best I could do without having to use my dual filter spray paint mask. No one even looked my way.
Might want to take a pass on that bank trip though.

·
Super Moderator
23,225 Posts
Indie Ridge USA has some nice motorcycle face masks. Indie Ridge Sadly, it looks like they are overwhelmed right now. I got several the first of last week.

They also have outstanding customer service! The owner answered the phone last time I called. A great guy.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

You were just one day ahead of restricted shopping. Now they count the number of people they will let in at a time.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
We used the "grocery pickup" again this week. The guy comes to my window to confirm who we are. I lower the window a few inches so he can hear my voice through my face mask. The wife shuts off the car's vent fan so that she can hear what is being said from the other side of the car. YES! I got our name right when he asked. So now I lost the positive air flow- air going out instead of in when the window is lowered and I am talking face to face with somebody who has contact with hundreds of people a day.
So last night I took some white cardboard and a magic marker and made up a name card like you see people holding at the airport. Maybe next week when we pickup groceries again I will show them the name card instead of risking my life.

·
Registered
33,949 Posts
We used the "grocery pickup" again this week. The guy comes to my window to confirm who we are. I lower the window a few inches so he can hear my voice through my face mask. The wife shuts off the car's vent fan so that she can hear what is being said from the other side of the car. YES! I got our name right when he asked. So now I lost the positive air flow- air going out instead of in when the window is lowered and I am talking face to face with somebody who has contact with hundreds of people a day.
So last night I took some white cardboard and a magic marker and made up a name card like you see people holding at the airport. Maybe next week when we pickup groceries again I will show them the name card instead of risking my life.
And six people with suitcases will pile into your back seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts