Defensive Carry banner

Walmart triple shooting

8K views 94 replies 43 participants last post by  Bad Bob 
#1 ·
#2 ·
they already caught the guy. that was quick.
3 dead after shooting at a Colorado Walmart, suspect arrested - ABC News

How anyone could think they can get away with a criminal act in open public in today's world of cameras looking down from every angle is a mystery. But then some just don't care and are looking for a ticket back into the system of free meals and lodging at the gray bar hotel.

#4 ·
This is VERY close to my house. In fact, several friends of mine shop at that Walmart frequently. I'm glad they caught the guy already. Hopefully, he'll let the world know his reasons, so we can look forward to prevention/future readiness.

#7 ·
Reactions: mkh
#11 · (Edited)
Am I the only one suspicious of this shooting coming so soon after the New York truck terrorist attack?

New York didn't really involve guns and everyone realizes the stupidity of banning rental trucks. It seems almost like someone had to step up and take one for the Anti-gun team and move the focus back to guns.

#12 ·
Am I the only one suspicious of this shooting coming so soon after the New York truck terrorist attack?

New York didn't really involve guns and everyone realizes the stupidity of banning rental trucks. It seems almost like someone had to step and take one for the Anti-gun team and move the focus back to guns.
As incredibly nuts as it sounds, I don't think you can fully discount it as a possibility, especially when you consider the black hole surrounding any motive or motivation for the Las Vegas attack. When absolutely nothing is coming forth, there's a reason.

#14 ·
I used to joke about this, but now I am starting to get serious. I know shootings can and do happen anywhere, but how many have we heard of at WalMarts? Lots There is even a website called "Shootings at Walmart." It is still live, but inactive. But when they were tracking, that site reported Walmarts were averaging one and half shootings a week across the country for two years running. I don't think any other national venue even comes close to that.

I think staying away from Walmart is a good defensive strategy. Add to that it is not a great chain to begin with. Add to that that you can now shop online at Walmart and have stuff delivered, like Amazon. I have my answer!

#15 ·
It sounds like this shooting was over in just a few seconds with the perp exiting stage right immediately. This being Colorado, if the event lasted much longer, there is a good chance return fire would be inbound.

#16 ·
You're not the only one suspicious, no. Media outlets went straight for the "shooting" claims in NYC before they even really knew what happened. Las Vegas is still an unknown, yes, and we're at this point probably never going to find out. What people never seem to want to understand, is that things like this have happened many times in history. Governments can and have done these sorts of shenanigans.

#20 ·
A faster presentation to first shot than not may make all the difference in a scenario like this. And people think it's a waste of time to practice to be as fast as possible at accessing and getting a shot on threat? This scenario may give one second and no more to get a shot on the guy.

#23 ·
Random Murders by a Dirtbag in Denver, Colorado - What Can We Learn From This

Walmart shooting: Suspect accused of killing 3 in Colorado has been arrested - CNN

I thought this worthy of discussion. What can be learned from this.

I suppose one's options depend a lot on the scenario. Standing in the same line, next lane over, in-store but in sight of the shooter.

It has caused me to think about how fast one can draw and shoot, that standing two lanes over I'd be better off with a revolver in an easy access hoster than a semi with a manual safety that I currently pocket carry.

One would have to draw and shoot pretty damn fast if a dirtbag starts randomly shooting nearby....

#32 ·
Walmart shooting: Suspect accused of killing 3 in Colorado has been arrested - CNN

I thought this worthy of discussion. What can be learned from this.

I suppose one's options depend a lot on the scenario. Standing in the same line, next lane over, in-store but in sight of the shooter.

It has caused me to think about how fast one can draw and shoot, that standing two lanes over I'd be better off with a revolver in an easy access hoster than a semi with a manual safety that I currently pocket carry.

One would have to draw and shoot pretty damn fast if a dirtbag starts randomly shooting nearby....
Most people can't even tell you how fast their draw stroke to first shot is. Most think they are faster than they are, the timer tells the truth.

#24 ·
#25 ·
It’s always about being aware of what is going on around you AND being able to process and respond quickly as warranted.

#27 ·
One thing I believe in is always having your firearm in a carry state/holster that you can quickly draw from using muscle memory and clothing that allows it. Ive even given up my pocket holsters and shoulder holsters pretty much and carry almost 100% of the time strong side belt even if its a little .380.

Mind you I still agree that just having the gun on you is pretty good preparedness but even in summer its really not a problem for me to wear a light, loose shirt to conceal my weapon. Also Ive started carrying my G19 more instead of my G43 and am seriously considering a 10mm. I work a part time now near where I used to work when I was on the street and its not the best of 'hoods. Anyway my instincts have been telling me to upgun. My .45s are just to heavy for my old hips.

#29 ·
Here's an interesting development. Denver PD spokesperson claims investigation was slowed due to multiple Walmart shoppers who drew personal firearms in response to the active shooter.
Well, maybe it was slowed, but those people also went home to their families that night.

"Although authorities said “a few” individuals drew handguns, they posed no physical hazard to officers. But their presence “absolutely” slowed the process of determining who, and how many, suspects were involved in the shootings, said Thornton police spokesman Victor Avila."

Armed Walmart shoppers slowed police in shooting investigation

#30 ·
Wow, just got home from Walmart and am about to post a thread about what happened to me at my local Walmart.

There is no way to defend against this kind of shooting but like Brownie said you may have only a second to get your shot off and make sure you have practiced it enough to make it count.

#34 ·
Once the decision to draw is made, mine is .90-.95 to first shot from concealed and .55-.65 open carried to first shot. .90-.95 may not be fast enough [ not for lack of diligent constant practice however ], but it's all I can muster at the present time.

#46 ·
First lesson: Have a means to fight back!

By sheer coincidence, I just help my sister-in-law buy her first carry pistol a mere hour or two before this happened. And they (her, my brother, and their kids) live in Thornton! It's entirely possible that they could have been there any other day.

Reactions: baren
#47 ·
I laughed when the reporter said "we asked the Police spokesperson why it took them 5 hours to give us an update" LOL Shut up you idiot!!! It's not about YOU and YOUR story, the cops did what they had to do. They don't have an obligation to update the media in any capacity. Their sworn duty is to protect the community, which they did. IMO

I bet the armed citizens inside are glad they didn't have to discharge their firearms. The story would have been about THEM instead.

I'm not connecting this to the event in NYC. I'm not giving this dirtbag that much credit. Pretty sure he's not in cahoots with Syed-al-shabadaba-hussein Shamashamahama and ISIS. Just a pathetic individual that decided to hurt people.

#51 ·
When the police arrive at the scene they're pretty much clueless. They don't know how long the guy planned this, if he has accomplices, if he perhaps set up traps around exits, etc. So for post cleanup (what the police mostly do) I can see how it would be a headache, but really no bigger headache than usual as they would need to scan all the videos and check for accomplices regardless.

I'm guessing that journalists who are provably almost entirely leftist are going to find any way to twist this to their agenda.

#52 ·
This is a hard one, I was listening to the journalist vultures covering this on the drive back from church wednesday with my daughter (I live in the Denver area).

In the unlikely event you get face to face contact with a shooter, my first gut reaction would be to find cover and draw at the same time. Hopefully you survive and hopefully the guy gets pinned down and stops his murder spree.

The more likely event is what to do if you are somewhere else in the store when the guy opens up. I know I wouldn't want to be identified as the shooter. With several folks reportedly drawing upon hearing the firing, at that point any real hope of reasonably getting involved is gone as the line between good and bad guy just got really fuzzy.

For being able to draw quickly: yeah that's a big deal.
As for caliber? I think that probaby doesn't matter much really.

Now I do sometimes carry a block 20. I think I'm going to buy some fort scott munitions copper 10mm as they can penetrate level IIIA body armor. That would be a very appropriate load for church as long as it doesn't blow up the pistol. The problem is: how do you properly deep conceal a block 20 ? If the church wasn't in Denver city limits I might not be asking that....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.