Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already own a PPQ M2 9mm.

Between the P99 AS (9mm or .40 cal) or the PPS variety, which do you find to be the most reliable and ergonomically sound?
If there are any significant considerations if you would purchase one of these, what would they be?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I own a PPQ like you. I do not own either the P99 AS or the PPS. My next purchase will probably be the PPS M2. I rented one recently and loved it. My current EDC is the Shield. Between the trijicon's and the trigger job, I have too much money in it to trade it. At the same time, I want another single stack for carry.

For a sub-compact double stack for carry, I bought the Sig 320 SC. The reason for it over the P99c AS is that it is striker fired. I want the same trigger system on everything I carry.

Do I want the P99 AS, yes. I would just not put it in my carry category because of the DA first pull feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a PPS M2 in 9mm. It has been utterly 100% flawless and reliable. Accurate as well I would not hesitate if looking for a single stack

·
Registered
140 Posts
These two guns are really in two separate classes. The P99 AS is a double stack mid size gun, and the PPS (Classic or M2?) is a single stack compact. The P99 AS is also a few different possible trigger configurations, where as the PPS is a single action striker fired pistol. I have the PPS Classic, and it's been 100% reliable. It is my primary carry gun. I also have a M1 PPQ, which is fantastic. Keep in mind the P99 AS shares mags with the M1 PPQ and has the trigger guard mag release paddle. I'll likely be purchasing a P99 AS as a bedside pistol next. I like the additional DA pull on the first trigger pull for a bump in the night gun, as I am more likely to be groggy and in the dark. I also love that it would share mags with my PPQ.

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Registered
23 Posts
Own a P99C (asc) and a PPS M2, love them both. I dont find them much different to carry to be honest. I shoot the P99C slightly better.....I tend to carry the P99c a bit more

·
Registered
265 Posts
It really depends on what you are looking for in a new gun. The P99 AS is going to be similar to your PPQ M2 with the major differences being the paddle mag release and the more DA/SAS style trigger. In terms of size, the P99 is almost identical to the PPQ.

The PPS will be smaller and is built for easier carry being single stack.

I don't have first hand experience with the PPS, but the M1 version has been around for years and has been reliable. I love the P99 and its ergonomic. That's a personal things though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I had the PPS M1, great gun except the fact that I depised the mag paddle.

Walther fixed that with the PPS M2.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The PPS is actually a double action striker fired pistol similar to a Glock, the trigger does fully cock and release the striker rather than just release.

As others pointed out, they really are 2 different pistols. I've owned a PPS M1 in 9mm since a year after they came out, zero issues, utterly reliable, accurate, and it shoots 'larger than what it is". It really is a great little sub-compact. It's the pistol I carry when I simply can't conceal or dress around anything larger. Back when I carried a PPQ (now carry an HK P2000), they made a perfect pair, even with the SA VS. DA trigger.

Chuck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Reliability is equal with both. Ergonomics are excellent on both as well. Really just depends on if you want a full size, a compact P99c, or a compact single stack with the PPS M2. Also bear in mind the P99 has a European paddle mag release. You will surely be happy with either. If you go P99 I highly recommend a Talon rubber grip decal. It's a bit too slippery without it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had the PPS M1, great gun except the fact that I depised the mag paddle.

Walther fixed that with the PPS M2.

Were you trying to use your thumb to drop the mag or your index or middle finger as intended. I find most who don't like the paddle are simply not using it correctly.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
If I just wanted the fun of a P99 for a range gun I get the cheep 300 bucks Cannick pistol

For carry ppsm2 no quesiton imop

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you have the PPQ, then I would recommend the PPS. Have never found a better all around carry gun....and it really is a great range gun as well....zero wrist hand fatigue

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I really do like my PPS for a single stack. A bit too big for pocket carry, but still very nice.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
do you have the link that says to use the index or middle finger on the paddle release ?
I've got 3 Walthers (2 PPQs and PPS) and 4 HKs (P30L, P2000, HK45T and VP9) all with the paddle style release, trust me and try using your index/trigger finger of your firing hand. IMHO, once learned it's faster and you won't have to adjust your grip. I actually have trouble with button releases these days.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
P99c AS. It is one of my all time favorites. I very much like the slightly heavier first pull and the feel of the grip. I shoots well and seems to be a low felt recoil design. The whole package just makes it a top 5 pick for me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I also have a P99 compact AS which I like very much. No experience yet with the PPS M2 yet but it is out there in the future at some point for me. I had handled the PPS original and did not much care for the ergonomics but I like the restyled ergos on the M2.

My first paddle release handgun was my PPQ M1 and I quickly learned that I was slightly faster using it than a button release on my other handguns. And yes, you do use either your trigger finger or middle finger to hit the release paddle. No link is necessary, it is something I learned just by experience.

I also have a PPQ M2 and a PPQ 5 inch barrel version, both of which use the button release. I can still release the M1 paddle slightly faster than the button release on these PPQs. And the long thin releases on the Walther P99 and PPQ M1 are faster for me to use than the short fat paddle releases on my VP9.

OP, good luck with your choice. No losers between these two Walthers.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have a PPK, but I think a PPS might be a nice addition. I have rented one, and really liked it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts