Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a new CCW as my Christmas present to myself. This was after much cajoling and begging from the wife who is more or less anti-gun, but that is beside the point. The point is, I'm finally able to afford a decent gun (I have about $750 to throw around), and my wife finally acquiesced to my request.

I really like the feel of the Walther p99, but having never carried before, I am a little aprehensive about choosing my first carry gun. I have spent extensive time with it, and feel that this is going to be the perfect gun for me. My main concern is carrying it, and I have no dealers within 100 miles that have a 99c to compare it with.

I'm about 5'10-5'11, large build, but with a bit of a gut at 265. Could I concievably conceal this marvelous piece of engineering?

·
Registered
601 Posts
In short, yes. With the appropriate holster and clothing, easily. How will you be dressing whilst carrying? If you have an untucked shirt there are a host of IWB and OWB holster that will conceal it just fine. If you are going to have your shirt tucked in, then it is more difficult to conceal a smaller gun, then I'd suggest going with a smaller gun. I'm sure your wife has a host of purses to go with different outfits. Just tell her that you need a couple different guns to go with different outfits.

When I have to have my shirt tucked in, I carry a Glock 36 in a Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster. See it here: Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster

With an untucked shirt, the largest gun I carry is a Sig Sauer P220R Carry in a Blackhawk CQC OWB holster. See it here: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-Slot-Pancake-Leather-Concealment,1148,1418.htm

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I have the essentially identical gun in .40. (S&W 99c). I am about your size without some of the belly--thought there is entirely too much on me too.

It can fit in my jeans pocket, barely, and with the right pocket holster, and perhaps a little lengthening of the pocket--easily done, it can be carried concealed in a jeans pocket if you are so inclined.

I do not use mine as a carry gun, but in point of fact it fits into an Uncle Mike's #1 IWB which I "surgically" modified by removing the IWB clip (a suggestion from a participant here) and that fits nicely in my front right jeans pocket.

I think that at your height, you actually could carry the gun as a pocket pistol---though you probably will find some other way more convenient. Maybe the Uncle Mikes IWB would work for you, if you can stand a low end holster

I like the decocking mechanism and the DA/SA of mine. I actually regret not buying mine in 9 mm. I think had I done that it would be my EDC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping to use that exact same deep concealment holster. I wear tucked in oxford shirts on a daily basis, and I figured that it would work out really well with the full-sized gun... In fact, I'm going to buy the holster and take it to one of the shops that carry this gun and see if it prints. For normal wear, I can use an IWB holster regularly with no problems. I just want to be able to know that I can wear one with the oxford shirt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm 5' 9" and (when I carried it) 160lbs, with a quality tuckable IWB it concealed well daily for over a year. If I can hide it, I'm sure you'll be able to.

Congrats on a great selection BTW, the more I am pushed into the Glock and SIG worlds, the more I like (and wish I still had) my Walther. I'd buy another one if I wasn't concerned about some old frame cracking stories in the .40 S&W.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 5' 9" and (when I carried it) 160lbs, with a quality tuckable IWB it concealed well daily for over a year. If I can hide it, I'm sure you'll be able to.

Congrats on a great selection BTW, the more I am pushed into the Glock and SIG worlds, the more I like (and wish I still had) my Walther. I'd buy another one if I wasn't concerned about some old frame cracking stories in the .40 S&W.
Are you talking the p99c or the vanilla p99?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts