Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I bought a Tanfoglio Witness P series compact .45 the other day on a "I'm just going to buy .40 ammo" excuse to my wife :biggrin2: . While I absolutely love this gun and am impressed with Italian manufacturers, I feel it would be too big to carry. I have been snooping around on small caliper pistols too and came across the Walther PK380. I don't have a 380, and I would love to own one, and it seems to be the perfect size as a concealed carry gun. The reviews I see are either they love the gun or it's a piece of garbage that they wish they never bought. Any thoughts? P.S. I'm not looking for those little micro carry guns and would prefer something a bit bigger, but not too much. Thanks,
-Linny

Edit: I saw and read the Walther PK380 recall, and see it only applies from certain serial numbers made in 2012. Any others that have any thoughts good/bad on this pistol?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I bought one after I got my carry permit and found that my full size 1911 was a bit larger than I wanted to carry. It was a nice gun very comfortable and natural to point and shoot for me. Like you I liked the size not a pocket pistol but not big either. Only problem for me was I felt the 380 was too small and wanted a larger caliber. I traded it off for a 3" Kimber. If I did not need the money for the Kimber I would have kept it and it is still on my list of guns that I would buy if I could afford several more and attain spousal approval.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just am not a fan of .380 for edc, I did just pick up the Walther PPQ M2 .40 Cal. last Friday. It is just an awesome firearm! It's trigger pull is amazing as are the ergonomics.

I plan on taking it out this coming Friday and giving her a whirl.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Had one for a few months at the beginning of the year. After a trip back to S&W (who has great CS BTW) for an FTE problem, it was 100% reliable and stupidly accurate. I would still have it, but I realized I'm a firm believer in the JMB church and sold it to a friend who wanted a carry piece to fund a my new addiction.

FWIW, I would have no problem carrying a 380 whatsoever. There are some seriously potent loads out there in the caliber.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of years now and use it for carry in a Bullard Bodyguard holster. I've ran almost a 1000 rounds through it without any trouble at all. Love the way it shoots. Almost no recoil at all. I will say that it does take a couple of hundred rounds to break it in, but I've put flat nose, round nose and JHP through with no trouble at all. BTW the wife absolutely loves it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I love Walthers. I don't have anything against the PK380.

But if you're going to go to a .380 round...why would you even look at the PK380 when one of the sexiest guns on earth is already waiting. The PPK (or PPK/S).

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I love Walthers. I don't have anything against the PK380.

But if you're going to go to a .380 round...why would you even look at the PK380 when one of the sexiest guns on earth is already waiting. The PPK (or PPK/S).
I know some people have the PPK and although they like it they say it is quite snappy. The PK380 is a little bigger so the recoil might be less. That being said the Glock 26 is about the same size and maybe even a bit smaller and has 10 round capacity of 9mm compared to 8 rounds of the .380 that the PK380 has. I have no idea on the price of the PK380 so not sure if that is a factor or not.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I know some people have the PPK and although they like it they say it is quite snappy. The PK380 is a little bigger so the recoil might be less. That being said the Glock 26 is about the same size and maybe even a bit smaller and has 10 round capacity of 9mm compared to 8 rounds of the .380 that the PK380 has. I have no idea on the price of the PK380 so not sure if that is a factor or not.
When are Glocks a bad carry decision? Never, that's when. That much said, I was sticking to the confines of a .380, which he said he'd love to own, and a Walther, which means you skip right past the PK380 and get a PP series :)

Can't speak to recoil on either of them, though I am hunting down a PPK as we speak, just trying to find the right one ;)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
When are Glocks a bad carry decision? Never, that's when. That much said, I was sticking to the confines of a .380, which he said he'd love to own, and a Walther, which means you skip right past the PK380 and get a PP series :)

Can't speak to recoil on either of them, though I am hunting down a PPK as we speak, just trying to find the right one ;)
He also said he did not want a micro pistol which I think the PPK is considered.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
what about a ruger LC380. Same platform as the LC9 but chambered in .380. Has a little weight to it as well. The pk 380 is a sharp looking gun for sure though..... just cant get past the weird mag release

·
Registered
541 Posts
what about a ruger LC380. Same platform as the LC9 but chambered in .380. Has a little weight to it as well. The pk 380 is a sharp looking gun for sure though..... just cant get past the weird mag release
I was actually much faster with that mag release than I am with the one on my 1911. On the tiny grip of the PK, it requires no change of grip to hit (I have medium/large hands).

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The PPK would be considered a micro pistol in the 40's. By today's standards it's between a compact in size and a full size in weight. I do see your point, though.
I see your point. what one manufacture considers a compact another manufacturer calls a full sized. I also agree with you to skip past the PK380 and go the the PP series and maybe even a P99 AS compact

1 - 13 of 13 Posts