Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the differences between these two auto`s ? My buddy has a Walther and I really like it for carry but the Makarov comes in 9mm. If it`s the exact same frame i`m thinking about getting one.

Burch :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Well your Mak is going to be 9mm Makarov or 9x18mm. It's a good little gun but I'd personally rather have the 380.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sig p232 gets my biased vote

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The PPK is a good bit smaller and lighter, but shoots the .380acp, (9mmX17) from a 6 round mag Versus the larger heavier Makarov that shoots the slightly more powerful 9X18 from a 8 round mag. Both guns have pretty crummy sights, but both are surprizingly accurate. One thing in favor of the Mak is that the price is lower, maybe by a few hundred dollars. The PPK will be easier to conceal, if that's a concern. Both guns have excellent aftermarket grips available.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The 9x18 Makarov is likely the most reliable blowback design ever made. Being all steel they are somewhat heavy for their size, but they just plain work. Tough and very simple with only 27 total parts. A true classic design.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Take a look at the FEG PA-63 pistols in 9mmMAK. These are made with a light weight alloy frame.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Does this Sig come in 9mm ?
You can find a Sig P230/P232 in .32acp, .380acp, (9X17), and 9mm Police (a 9X18, also called Ultra), which is a different round than the 9X18 Makarov.

The Sig, (blued), is a good bit bigger than the PPK but lighter due to the alloy frame. The Sig is about the same size as the Makarov. The Sig is a world class gun.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I've had both and both worked every time. For me it would come down to the round. 9mm is better, but the .380 rounds of today are no slouch in the ballistic category either. I would give a slight edge to the Makarov for round count and caliber.

IMO, unless this is the only pistol you intend to purchase, get the PPK later when it's convenient and you're not forced to choose one over the other. The PPK is a fine pistol and worth the extra cash, but in a fight pretty don't cut the mustard in my book. JMO :bier:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I vote for the PA-63 in this price bracket. The Mak is a sturdy piece. The PPK has the James Bond nostalgia, but those $$ will buy better defensive tools.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would go for the Makarov, I don't own one but have 3 pistols in the 9x18 mak caliber. FEG PA 63, P 64, and CZ 82. The FEG is almost identical as a PPK, the P 64 also about the size of PPK.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have both my advice would be to get the PPK later it will trade or sell for more than the MAK. Both are good functioning weapons but I don't see very much advantage in getting th 9X18 over the 380acp.

·
Registered
371 Posts
While I loved my PPK/S, there are better SD choices out there. For example, you can get a Kahr in 9mm that's basically the same size as the PPK, but is lighter and has less recoil than the blowback design of the Walther. I like the Makarov -- nice gun and cartridge and one of the best buys for the money. But it is heavy and I would be concerned about ammo availability in the future.

Again, there are nice, small 9mm guns out there that fit the same niche and are lighter and shoot a better SD round. For not much more than the Mak, look at the Kel-Tec PF9 and P11, and the new Taurus 709 Slim in 9mm -- all three about $300. At $400 you have the Kahr CW9. And for another $100-$200 there's the Kahr Pm9, S&W M&P compact, Springfield XD9sc, Glock G26 and Walther PPS. On the inexpensive end, I would choose the Taurus or Kahr over the Mak for EDC, though a Mak is fun to shoot (and I would choose any of the more expensive guns over either the PPK or Mak). If I already had a Mak, I wouldn't hesitate using it for SD, but if starting from scratch, I would go with 9mm in a more convenient package. The PF9, 709 and PM9 also offer pocket carry as a viable option, which is generally impractical with the heavier steel guns (PPK and Mak).

FYI, if you really want a .380 look at the P3AT and Bersa models for less money than the PPK. The Sig 238 is also a nice package, as is the P380 by Kahr. Don't get me wrong, I love the PPK & PPK/S and am sorry I got rid of mine -- I just think there are better choices out there as a primary carry for SD, depending on your criteria, e.g., price, size, weight, caliber, capacity, etc.. If you already had a primary EDC for SD, and were buying a secondary fun gun, and had the bucks, I'd say, "sure, get the PPK."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I`d really like to stick with the 9mm in a pocket pistol. The Walther PPK really stuck with me because of it being so small and compact. If I can get that frame and weight in a 9mm i`d be buying one. So what are my options with that configuration ?

Burch

·
Registered
24 Posts
I carry a lightly modified (nothing like those pictured before, which are beautiful!!!) Bulgarian PM pretty much daily, and have significant amounts of experience with the Walther PPK, so I'll weigh in here with what I know.

Both handguns are so similar dimensionally that concealment is about equal between the two. I will say that the PPK seems ever so slightly easier to carry, mostly because there are better holsters available for it.

Makarov PM weighs right around 25 oz unloaded. A PPK weighs at almost the same, 23 oz unloaded. The 2 oz difference was totally unnoticed to me, but I'm 6'2" and built like a brick house. You might notice the difference.

Comparing the two calibers is silly! They're so similar that it's not even worth discussion. Can you think of a more similar caliber that can't be mutually shared? I can't.

The felt recoil is very similar. They're both exceptionally accurate and they're both easy to maintain and easy to shoot. They're both exceptionally reliable, but the Makarov is much more simple. Both have relatively diverse aftermarket support.

The big difference between the two is PRICE, where the Makarov PM will win by a considerable margin. Quality 9x18 Makarov ammo is also much less expensive, meaning that you'll likely practice more frequently. When I purchased mine on my 21st birthday, it was $180 after tax, though this was several years ago.

That's my $0.02 USD, for what its worth. Take it or leave it.
~Jon

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Makarov in .380 and it is an excellent pistol. I do agree about the sights being crummy and I am checking for a machine shop that can dovetail and install the front sight and put in a fixed rear sight with Novak type tritium dot sights.

The only reason I am considering spending $$ for sight configuration is because the gun was given to me and it conceals easily and I can shoot it all day long.:comeandgetsome::aargh4::embarassed::danceban:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Makarov hands down! Inexpensive, reliable accurate and cheap to feed.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
9x18 is easier too find Than the .380 AMMO ; )

1 - 20 of 32 Posts